Key programming

Started by Anonymous, January 6, 2009, 11:16

Anonymous

This any good for the "How to's" section?

PROGRAMMING ALARM & CENTRAL LOCKING

IMMOBILISER

Additional info from Bahnstormer:

So the steps are:(NOW TESTED AND WORKING!!)
1) Key: TOY41 Blade
   a) sourced: (£3-£10 on eBay) - tested and works!
   b) cut: £5 per key at a local market stall - don't bother with Timpsons (£60 incl key) or Homebase (willing but unable).
2) Fob: Tokai Rika (£15-£20 on eBay)
3) assemble: open key (small philips screw), snug fit, but fob clicked in, with rubbers in place and screwed it together (difficulty level 0.5/10)
4) Coding:
   a) "dance" to recode the remote for the alarm/door locks
: just watch the Dutch guy in the video - seemed easiest that way!
<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SgEYPdBemHI?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
   b) "dance" to recode the remote for the immobiliser - as per the link below, but just remember:
      i) it's only key in - NOT key in and turn (I tried one way, then the other, then back to the first way and that worked - I think I messed up counting to 5 or 6  :-\).
      ii) to watch for the immobiliser light next to the fan/aircon controls to start flashing - THEN WAIT 60sec for it to stop flashing!!

Turned the key once the immobiliser stopped flashing... and the engine fired immediately :)

Total cost: ~£27 (blade, cutting, fob).

I don't know if '2's EVER came with "grey" keys, but apparently the steps above only work if you have a fully functioning master "black" key.

spit

Handy Les, and something we get asked about from time-to-time.

Providing its not in breach of any copyright (and I guess it isn't because you'll have checked on that!) then I'm sure it'd be a 'keepsy' for the Ref section.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

mr2jw

just wanted to say thank you very much. i know this is an old topic but lots of folks always on about keys as they break all the time.
bought a key from ebay with the transponder and following the above instuctions immobilizer and central locking work fine, £12 key, £6 to get it cut, a lot cheaper than mrt.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
black 2000 roadster | devs keyhole covers | devs tbl visor | pre-cats removed | crystal side repeaters with chrome surrounds | lt short antenna | jdm front badge | jdm wheel centres | mr2roc sticker |
and lots more to do!

darkday

Anyone else having trouble reading it?

Here's what we have in our library on SC. Assuming it's the same for you guys as well.

QuoteProgramming a transponder key is not a secret and if it was it would seem kind of 'stoopid' to just pm it to anyone. The dealers would just rather you didn't know so you can get billed a half hour for 2 minutes of work. Anyway, so to program the key after you've had the local hardware store or whoever cut it to match the master:

get in the car
shut the doors
press and release the brake and gas pedal once
insert your master key into the ignition switch
press and release the gas pedal 5 times
press and release the brake pedal 6 times
remove master key
insert new key
press and release the brake and gas pedal once
wait 80 seconds
remove new key
press brake

and you're done. Something to note, during the 80 second wait you will see your alarm light blinking as if no transponder is present...when the key is done that light will go out because now your new key has a correctly programmed transponder. Lemme know if anyone has troubles with this and I'll see if I can find the site where I got the instructions originally. Also, the gas and brake dance steps that you have to do must be completed within 15 or 20 seconds of the previous step ...not really a hard thing to do but keep that in mind should you be reading the directions while doing it the first time.

I'll see if I can find that link to the store where I bought my key.

QuoteWhen I bought the car, it only had one remote and key. I got an extra remote off Ebay and received it today (still waiting on new key from Ebay seller)
I found several articles on Spyderchat detailing the programming of the remote and thought I would breeze through it. Didn't happen. After half a dozen times attempting to program it, I gave up, deciding it was a faulty remote. Being up late this night, I found a TSB for the 2001 up RAV4,Celica, Echo, Highlander and Prius vehicles detailing the programming of wireless transmitters.
After reading it, there were some different/extra steps involved than from what I had been doing. After following these steps, I successfully programmed my new remote on the first try.
Here are the steps from that TSB # EL004-001 July 19, 2002

To program wireless transmitters:
1. Begin with:
a. The driver’s door open and unlocked.
b. Key out of the ignition.
2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds.
3. Close and open driver’s door TWICE with in 40 seconds
4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it
5. Close and open the driver’s door twice within 40 seconds.
6. Insert the key into the ignition.
7. Close the door.
8. Turn the ignition switch from “Lock” to “On” and back to “Lock” at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode:
a. 1 time for ADD mode.
b. 2 times for REWRITE mode.
c. 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode.
d. 5 times for PROHIBITION mode.
9. Remove the key from the ignition.
10. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle “lock” to “unlock” a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 8.
11. For Add or Rewrite modes, within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation…
a. Press both transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release.
b. Within 3 seconds of Step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1 second and release.
c. If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle “lock” to “unlock” once at this time. If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
d. If multiple remotes are to be programmed, repeat steps A-C.
12. Open the driver’s door.

Tags: