2018 Calendar now available in chit chat section

Front/Rear Spring Identification

Having a problem or fixed anything recently? Post it here.
mr9

Front/Rear Spring Identification

Postby mr9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Was about to drop the parts at the garage to swap the top mounts but found a conflict with the front/rear.

Left new springs (OEM barely used) are thinner and I assumed front, right springs are the same thickness as the rears I just took off (right of picture)

However, the colour coding is the opposite way.

I've found images on Google showing more with red springs on rear dampers.

Anyone disagree that the colour coding is wrong and I need to swap the old blue springs for the new red ones?

https://m.imgur.com/a/cBNLj

lamcote

Re: Front/Rear Spring Identification

Postby lamcote » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm not sure about the colour coding but I would agree the thicker ones are for the rear. Maybe the colour coding changed between pre and post facelift. Are your existing springs PFL and the new ones from a facelift? The difference is the number of coils. It's hard to tell accurately from the picture but it does look as if your existing springs have 7 coils and the new ones have 8. If so you probably should swap them over so you are using a matching set. But you will find the ride height increases.

I've just had a look at a spare pair of rear springs I have and they have yellow marks on them, so I'm really not sure what the logic of the colour coding is.
Silver 2004 MR2 - Unmodified but very shiny.

mr9

Postby mr9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks for your help!!!

My car is a facelift.
I hadn't considered the difference in height. Balls
My MR2 is my only car so I don't think I can go without it long enough while I source new rear springs. Still tempted by teins, but it wasn't with the insurance fit modifying it.

lamcote

Postby lamcote » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:03 am

If yours is a facelift it should already have the longer springs on so you shouldn't have a problem. Unless someone has changed the springs before.

You need to try to carefully compare the springs to see if they are the same in terms of the number of coils. It's pretty obvious when they are off the dampers.

mr9

Postby mr9 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 am

lamcote wrote:If yours is a facelift it should already have the longer springs on so you shouldn't have a problem. Unless someone has changed the springs before.

You need to try to carefully compare the springs to see if they are the same in terms of the number of coils. It's pretty obvious when they are off the dampers.

I dropped them off at the garage as I don't have spring compressors and don't want to take the risk so won't see them off the car.

If it ends up handling or looking funny I will just have to go through this all again

lamcote

Postby lamcote » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 am

Best of luck, hopefully it will be fine.

rokz_2005

Postby rokz_2005 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm

mr9 wrote:Thanks for your help!!!

My car is a facelift.
I hadn't considered the difference in height. Balls
My MR2 is my only car so I don't think I can go without it long enough while I source new rear springs. Still tempted by teins, but it wasn't with the insurance fit modifying it.

I've got some new springs for sale if you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr9

Postby mr9 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 pm

These seem to be the right height. Thanks for the offer.

Right is back in, but got an issue now where the left is about 30 degrees out, tried rotating around but can't do it, will need to take back and get realigned I think....

Return to “Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting”