clutch change - estimated cost

Having a problem or fixed anything recently? Post it here.

clutch change - estimated cost

Postby PaddyDT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Deffo on the way out.

My search says LUK offers a good replacement.

What would be a fair price for an indie to fit?

Cheers
PaddyDT

Re: clutch change - estimated cost

Postby onion86 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:00 pm

I was quoted £200 last year (with me supplying clutch), I've heard places charging less than that though.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 - A/C, Black Heated Leather, Alloy HVAC Knobs, SP MSMB, Eibach Springs, ROCLinks, Ultra Racing ARBs, Pagid Discs/Yellowstuff Pads, HEL Brake Hoses, TRD Front Strut Brace, TRD Short-Shifter, 17" Ultra Light Split Rims, Dev's Keyhole Covers, Stainless Sills, Mongos
To fit - C2 Turbo

ex - Black '00 C-One MR-S Turbo - 'Amaya'
My Fuel Consumption
onion86
Forum Moderator

2005 Toyota MR2

Postby uktotty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:02 pm

I had supply and fit in a hurry as I was off to corfu the following day for £350, great service and the clutch is still going strong
Corkys - Pelican Racing Grille - Blue Flame - Xenons - Lockwoods - JVC DVD MP3- Big Mongos! - Crystal Indicators -Tans hairpins - Devs Caps - Devs Light Cover - Devs Dedimple - Girls Number Plate - JSpec Wheel Caps - JSpec Nose Badge - JSpec Graphics - JSpec Rear Badge - Brodit Car kit and Holder - Blue Hardtop - Unichip - TTE Springs - TTE Spoiler - TTE Filler Cap - Juran FSB - Juran RSB - Facelift Front/Rear Lights - Titanium HVAC**** PRECAT FREE ZONE!****
uktotty

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby dcod » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:17 pm

LUK clutches are good. Most people get theirs from http://www.charlesworthmotorsglossop.co.uk/. [Modedit]New site under development at http://www.charlesworthmotors.co.uk Ste[/Modedit] Give them a bell and get a quote including delivery.

As for installation cost for an indie, I would have to look through my paperwork later.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a ''Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine'' to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.
dcod

2001 Toyota MR2

Postby spit » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:56 pm

The LUK is no doubt a very light and smooth clutch with good bite. I think everyone who has had one is chuffed with it.

Some news that you might need to know about though..... LUK have encountered supply chain difficulties and seem to be having production run slowdowns on slower-moving kits. :( The last readily available '2 kit in the land was fitted to Allycat's car at the weekend and was sorely needed as she'd lost drive in pretty much every gear.

It seems we may have to wait for another manufacturing run but there will no doubt be some out there somewhere. Charlesworth are monitoring the situation and will keep us posted. Ring John or Steve on 01457864416 if you want them to hunt one down for you.

As for fitting cost, an Independent garage could charge 3 hours labour if you're lucky. If I recall correctly the book time with Toyota is 4 hours. Given the potential problems with our older cars its best to get a fixed price from them rather than rely on a rate. Don't forget to factor in the cost of new transmission fluid as well as the clutch itself.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)
spit
Forum Moderator

Postby normanh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 pm

£700 Mr T so beware of them on cost alone as thats what I paid locally .

norman
normanh

Postby JudoKilli » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm

I paid £90 for the labour, and about just over £100 for a clutch. Mechanic said it was just as good, if not better than the original, and I agree. Feels sharper and more balanced, but that might just be because it's new.
Black 2003 - Red Leather - Black Tinted Side Indicators - Lockwood Sills - ZunSport Front Grille - Midship Front Badge - Dev's Keyhole Covers - Wanted: Lowering Springs, Cobra Quad Exhaust, TRD Style Spoiler, PPE CAI
"Greeks do not fight as heroes, heroes fight like Greeks" - Winston Churchill - 1941
"If they could see on my face what I feel in my heart, no one would ever fight me." - Yasuhiro Yamashita, one of the greatest Judo players of recent times.
JudoKilli

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby josh279 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:22 pm

£90 labour is seriously cheap.

I usually pay £160 cash for labour and I get the clutch kit, blueprint just as good as oem, for around £90 trade from my local motor factors.

Meant to say I have an understanding with my mechanic, doesn't matter what car it is clutch replace labour is always £160, sometimes he wins, sometimes I take in a Peugeot :lol:
josh279

Postby manchestermatt1986 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 pm

JudoKilli wrote:I paid £90 for the labour, and about just over £100 for a clutch. Mechanic said it was just as good, if not better than the original, and I agree. Feels sharper and more balanced, but that might just be because it's new.

where did you source yours from?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED's - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs - Red 03 Heated Seats - Devs Key Hole Covers - MR-S Sill Plates - DIY KickPanels in Footwells - JSpec Graphics - Crower Cams - TTE Lowering Springs - 16" Lightweight T.Dynamics - Toyo Proxes - Lambo Doors - Rear Tower Brace - Silver Trim Interior Dash - A'pexi Power FC - Front Member Brace
manchestermatt1986

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby Peter Wright » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm

This brings back memories of 1990 when my clutch went on my Isuzu Trooper, main dealer quoted £900 so in shock went back to work and tried to adjust it so I could get a few more miles out of it, then a taxi driver pulled up and said whats up boy so I told him and he said run it down to our yard and they will do it for you.
Cut a long story short, they charged me £50 including the clutch and it was perfect until I sold it some 10 years later. Result.
Pete
Pete. 1999 MRs. Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Aquamist, Davids style bars, Walnut Dash Kit, 2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.
Peter Wright
Forum Moderator

Postby redarrow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I would like to change the clutch of my mr2, but want to no if any body no of any Mechanic in london on the cheep please.
ill supply the clutch, they fit it there's or mine London area anybody?
what i understand my clutch is slipping, so shall replace it soon hopefully funds wise.
These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2
redarrow

Postby normanh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 pm

There are two basic reasons for clutch slip as I found to my cost, the most common is friction plate knackered and chances are its gone on flywheel side which will likely leave serious grooves in the face, if your lucky its the pressure plate. My pain was gearbox seal went flooding clutch with oil - remedy sort out box and install a new clutch overall potentially expensive - def not a Mr T job unless your like me caught out on hop and now where to go at short notice and due away on my hols in a few days.

norman
normanh

Return to Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting