Could my MRS still be restricted

Having a problem or fixed anything recently? Post it here.

Could my MRS still be restricted

Postby s a watt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi folks

Wonder if anyone can help

I have owned my Toyota MRS for a number of years now.

It was produced for Japan in 2005. It was then imported new to uk and put on the road new in 2006.

I bought it in 2007.

I treat the thing with kid gloves and it is used only in the summer. The mileage is just under 12,000

The question i have is could the car still be restricted in power as it was destined for the Japan market.

Can this be checked easily

If restricted how easy is it to derestrict it.

I am about to get my mechanic mate to service it for the summer in the next week or 2 and wondered if we could put on a diagnostics to check.

Its never really bothered me as i normally just cruise about but would be good to know.

Your opinions please

Thanks
s a watt

Re: Could my MRS still be restricted

Postby M R 2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:15 pm

What makes you think it could be restricted?
M R 2

Postby kentsmudger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:42 pm

There are only very minor differences between the UK and Japanese versions, and neither of them were 'restricted' as far as I know
Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky's Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and other cars.

'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012)
kentsmudger

Postby SteveJ » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:09 pm

J-spec's are speed limited to 112mph
'02' Astral Black '2 Hass StageII + too many other bits to remember!
'63' Silver VW Golf Cabrio 2.0TDi
Ex-'Y' Silver Haze/SMT/Hardtop/Black Leather
Ex-'03' Astral Black/SMT/Charcoal&Magnolia leather/Eibach Springs
Ex-'53' Lagoon Blue/SMT/Silver Grey Leather/Eibach Springs/C-One Front Strut Brace
SteveJ

Postby frogger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:16 pm

As above, as with most japanese market cars - an import is limited to 112.5mph equivalent (180kph).

HOWEVER, using the 'normal' methods of adjusting the speedo from kph to mph, the speed limiter is changed to 180mph (so no longer a limiter!)

If your speedo is reading correctly enough in mph, then all is already sorted.

No other restriction exists, on power or speed.
frogger

Postby manchestermatt1986 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

I have an mr-s import and you need to have a de-limitor or the car will lose power all of a sudden at approx 75mph. I had a problem with mine at one point because the place I purchased the car from had done a quick job on the wiring. You'll know if it's not working 100% thou! It just cuts power and your drop from approx 75 down to 55
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED's - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs - Red 03 Heated Seats - Devs Key Hole Covers - MR-S Sill Plates - DIY KickPanels in Footwells - JSpec Graphics - Crower Cams - TTE Lowering Springs - 16" Lightweight T.Dynamics - Toyo Proxes - Lambo Doors - Rear Tower Brace - Silver Trim Interior Dash - A'pexi Power FC - Front Member Brace
manchestermatt1986

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby s a watt » Sat May 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi guys thanks for the response. I been away on holiday so sorry for the delay.

The reason i ask is that i once had the thing on the A9 and was following another roadster and MK1 MR2 on a club run. We gave the car some wellie and mine seemed to be very slow once i was over 80 and indeed i dont think i could have got it up to the ton

As i say i never usually push it at all but just wondered.

The clocks are MPH.

How did you solve the deristriction Manchester matt.

Shane
s a watt

Postby tinky1 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Japanese law states all cars destined for its domestic market are limited to 180kmh (112 mph) you wont loose any power up to this point then it will cut the power.

I have a brand new delimiter in private sales if your interested.

thanks
Andy
Andy
tinky1

Postby manchestermatt1986 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:10 pm

s a watt wrote:Hi guys thanks for the response. I been away on holiday so sorry for the delay.

The reason i ask is that i once had the thing on the A9 and was following another roadster and MK1 MR2 on a club run. We gave the car some wellie and mine seemed to be very slow once i was over 80 and indeed i dont think i could have got it up to the ton

As i say i never usually push it at all but just wondered.

The clocks are MPH.

How did you solve the deristriction Manchester matt.

Shane

I have a de-limiter wired in behind the clocks in the dash. See tinky1 delimiter

Tinky has put 180kmh (112mph) which is correct but when my delimiter wasnt working it was killing power well before this point. But you would DEFINETLY know its lost power, its not a fading off feel, its a "WHAT THE HELL?? WHYS THE CAR SLOWING DOWN AND LOSING POWER"
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED's - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs - Red 03 Heated Seats - Devs Key Hole Covers - MR-S Sill Plates - DIY KickPanels in Footwells - JSpec Graphics - Crower Cams - TTE Lowering Springs - 16" Lightweight T.Dynamics - Toyo Proxes - Lambo Doors - Rear Tower Brace - Silver Trim Interior Dash - A'pexi Power FC - Front Member Brace
manchestermatt1986

2000 Toyota MR2

Return to Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting