Engine management Light is on

Having a problem or fixed anything recently? Post it here.

Postby princess gaynor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi there friends my engine management light has just come on on my 2000 MR2 Roadster. There is no obvious reason for this ie. no loss in performance or engine noise. Could anyone tell me the cheapest way to find out what's wrong and if it's safe to drive around in it with it on. Problem is my husband is working away and I'm stuck. Cheers :?:
princess gaynor

Postby AmeR » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Where are you based?
An owner with a code reader should be able to assist

*edit: is the car a UK spec?
AmeR
MR2ROC Chairman

2001 Toyota MR2

Re: Engine management Light is on

Postby M R 2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Without getting the code read, there is little chance of identifying the problem. You may find a helpful member nearby with a code reader who can read the code for you and then post it up.
As to continuing to drive, that's a lottery. If its a serious problem you could do major damage, if its a simple 02 sensor for example you would probably be fine.

Edit, beaten by Amer, only because i typed more. :lol:
M R 2

Postby princess gaynor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes it's a uk spec and I live in Stoke on Trent (Werrington) was thinking of purchasing a code reader but there seems to be a bewildering array and not sure which would be best, If it didn't cost too much I'd take it to a garage but always feel like they're going to rip me off cuz I'm a "Girl" lol
princess gaynor

Postby mrzwei » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Probably 40 quid if you take it to Toyota so better to buy one.
A particular one is used by many on here so someone will provide the link.

I wouldn't worry too much about driving it because the handbook simply says take it to a dealer as soon as possible. I think if it flashes then you need to stop!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed, replaced with an American built German dragster!
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Z3 2.8, 193bhp, 280Nm. Spacers on the rear.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat!
mrzwei

Postby princess gaynor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm

mrzwei wrote:Probably 40 quid if you take it to Toyota so better to buy one.
A particular one is used by many on here so someone will provide the link.

I wouldn't worry too much about driving it because the handbook simply says take it to a dealer as soon as possible. I think if it flashes then you need to stop!

Thanks for that info will wait to see if anyone comes up with a model to buy and I'm not used to using this site so not sure when I have a reply to my post :? do I just keep the post open or do I get some sort of alert?
princess gaynor

Postby mrzwei » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Just log off and come back to the site when you want to. If there is a reply then it will still be under the title of your post in Maint. Probs. and Troubleshooting.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed, replaced with an American built German dragster!
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Z3 2.8, 193bhp, 280Nm. Spacers on the rear.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat!
mrzwei

Postby M R 2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:05 pm

You can also go into your user account and set up to be notified by email when i reply is made.
M R 2

Postby Treboeth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:06 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-CAN-OBDI ... 27c45b474b

one of these will do just search OBD2 U480 as I am not recommending this seller :mrgreen:
AmeR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm
The Mrs had an idea the other day to lose the bonnet and turn the frunk into a seat for our pooch!! All that would be needed is a harness and some goggles!! :lol:
Treboeth

Postby princess gaynor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks peeps I think you're all ace for helping a damsel in distress
princess gaynor

Postby Wabbitkilla » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:33 pm

May be worth dropping a PM to FGrob, he is local when in-country ... but I can't remember if he has a reader!?!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from.
Red car, Red leather interior, Red hardtop, Red gear gaiter, Red interior light, Red callipers, and red monster hat.
All very understated ;-)

MR2ROC Chairman 2009-2013
Wabbitkilla
MR2ROC Admin

Location: Skipton, North Yorkshire. Work in Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby princess gaynor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I've just ordered a reader from Amazon and it'll be here tomorrow so will post the code as soon as I get it :)
princess gaynor

Postby princess gaynor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi there folks I feel like a real mechanic now :D I've just plugged in my OBD11 reader and it's come up with Code P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfuntion (Bank 1 Senor 1) now this is when I realise I'm not a mechanic and haven't a clue what to do next :? . Is it safe to drive and does the sensor need replacing and how etc :?: HELP!!!! :scared:
princess gaynor

Postby FGrob » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:46 pm

princess gaynor wrote:Hi there folks I feel like a real mechanic now :D I've just plugged in my OBD11 reader and it's come up with Code P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfuntion (Bank 1 Senor 1) now this is when I realise I'm not a mechanic and haven't a clue what to do next :? . Is it safe to drive and does the sensor need replacing and how etc :?: HELP!!!! :scared:

It's OK to drive, where about are you?? If you want me to take a look at it give me a shout.

Rob

I've just seen - you are from Werrington, I'm just up the road at Cheddleton :scared: :scared:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.
FGrob

Postby princess gaynor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks Rob, what a small world :crazyeyes: I've just cleared the fault and my hubby is home now so if he can't find the sensor that needs replacing or connector might need cleaning then I will certainly give you a shout :) I think you'll probably be able to hear me from there :wink:
princess gaynor

Postby FGrob » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 pm

princess gaynor wrote:Thanks Rob, what a small world :crazyeyes: I've just cleared the fault and my hubby is home now so if he can't find the sensor that needs replacing or connector might need cleaning then I will certainly give you a shout :) I think you'll probably be able to hear me from there :wink:

OK no problem, take a look here to identify the sensor, it's the one on the right looking at the engine viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20790

I'll see if I've still got my old one, if so you are more than welcome to have it, you will need a O2 sensor socket for removal, I've not got one as I used a ring spanner in the past.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.
FGrob

Postby princess gaynor » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Well I cleared the code with my reader and took out the sensor and cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in. Guess what the engine light came back on :( Rob you said you may have your old one, if you have how much would you want for it because on ebay they're around £40 :/ or does anyone know where I can get one from and am I ok to drive it in the mean time
princess gaynor

Postby lds1973 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 pm

theres a universal one on amazon that needs crimping to the original connector but it works fine and is a lot cheaper.

ill try and find the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4209-Un ... B000C5WCUE
lds1973

Postby princess gaynor » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks for that link Ids1973 but it looks like you can only get them from USA and then its the shipping costs but thanks again for answering my distress call :)
princess gaynor

Postby FGrob » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:26 pm

princess gaynor wrote:Well I cleared the code with my reader and took out the sensor and cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in. Guess what the engine light came back on :( Rob you said you may have your old one, if you have how much would you want for it because on ebay they're around £40 :/ or does anyone know where I can get one from and am I ok to drive it in the mean time

Hi.

Don't buy the ebay ones, go to these people that's where I got mine from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/prici ... rs-ccp.asp They look to be £49 plus P&P and they do work unlike some of the ebay ones.

Yes, in the mean time, I have a spare one (it's one I've modified so no charge) it should work until you get a new one, drop me a pm I'll drop it off tomorrow if you like.

Rob.

FGrob

Postby FGrob » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm

The part number you need is DOX-0204 if that helps.

Rob.

FGrob

Postby princess gaynor » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Rob I'll buy one but which is it the link says there is a front and a rear? I only use my car once or twice a week for about 20miles so you keep hold of your spare one but thanks for the offer you very kind person :wink:
princess gaynor

Postby FGrob » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm

princess gaynor wrote:Thanks Rob I'll buy one but which is it the link says there is a front and a rear? I only use my car once or twice a week for about 20miles so you keep hold of your spare one but thanks for the offer you very kind person :wink:

It's the front you need, quote the above part number.

Hey no problem, it's not a spare I will use again, it's just one I have left over. If you were really stuck, which with the code you have is not the case, I would have let you have the one out of my car, it's only done 100 mile, I don't use my car a great deal so you could have just replaced it with a new one when it arrived.

Rob.

FGrob

Return to Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting