Chipping

Anything to do with improving the handling or performance. PLEASE NOTE: The club in no way endorses speeding on Public Roads, and would encourage all members to act responsibly regardless of their power outputs.
Forum rules
The club in no way endorses speeding on Public Roads, and would encourage all members to act responsibly regardless of their power outputs. Posting containing evidence of misbehaviour will be moderated or removed

Chipping

Postby pauljb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi all,

Was looking at getting my car chipped. but was disappointed when my local performance garage told me they could only increase my bhp from 136 to 150 with a chip and it was going to cost me 400 squid and they also recommend i got a performance exhaust so that would have been another £150, think thats the price of a che one.

However i found this. but dont know if it is any good or if it will be a bit sketch.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :middle:uk

What you think.

Cheers
Paul
pauljb

Re: Chipping

Postby roger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Search!!! It won't do a thing!!! Apart from wrecking the engine.

And what "chip" is your garage suggesting?? That probably won't work either.

Search for Unichip. Exhausts won't provide extra HP, well maybe 2 or 3 at the most , just noise.
Roger

'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
ImageCheck my fuel consumption
roger
MR2ROC Club Secretary & Treasurer

2004 Toyota MR2

Postby aaronjb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Just send the £7.50 to me. I'll look after it for you.
2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster
aaronjb

Postby Ekona » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:09 pm

I'll do it for £5. Bargain.
Ekona

Postby pauljb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm

lol

read about it there.

It does seem rubbish lol
pauljb

Postby sandstrain » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm

The most gain from a chip seems to come from when you have an oe turbo.
My Saab went from 150hp to 210hp and 240Nm to 320Nm
sandstrain

Postby FGRob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:01 pm

pauljb wrote:Hi all,

Was looking at getting my car chipped. but was disappointed when my local performance garage told me they could only increase my bhp from 136 to 150 with a chip and it was going to cost me 400 squid and they also recommend i got a performance exhaust so that would have been another £150, think thats the price of a che one.

However i found this. but dont know if it is any good or if it will be a bit sketch.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :middle:uk

What you think.

Cheers
Paul

This has to be the con of the year, I paid £360 just for the re-map, if you are looking at increasing your BHP and more importantly Torque you have to be looking at well over a £1000 as a minimum.

Rob
FGRob

Postby Jaik » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Getting 150hp from just a remap is pretty good going on the MR2. People get used to the idea of "chipping" giving massive power gains because it can do on turbo engines, especially turbo diesels.
Jaik

Postby northernalex » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:21 pm

The MR2 engine is pretty well tuned as standard.. so you're not going to get that much from tuning a standard engine.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I'm hoping to gain the record for the 'Person who is most quoted in signatures"
northernalex

Postby heathstimpson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:14 am

With chipping its more with the torque gains matey :wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS
heathstimpson

Postby northernalex » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:45 am

heathstimpson wrote:With chipping its more with the torque gains matey :wink:

Thats true, with a Intake/Exhaust/Downpipe on mine and a tuned emanage I went from 138bhp to 146bhp and torque from 120 ish to 135. Notcible.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I'm hoping to gain the record for the 'Person who is most quoted in signatures"
northernalex

Postby FGRob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:57 am

The benefit of the chip or replacement ECU (a much better option bye the way), is purely down to the skill of the person who is mapping it for you - that's based on you wanting a good job in the first place. :wink:

Rob
FGRob

Postby Wabbitkilla » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 am

It's not as simple as just chipping!

Anyway, the ECU on car can't be chipped (as far as i'm aware), which means you need a piggy back or replacement 'other' ECU.

Piggy backs known to work;
Dastek Unichips
Greddy eManage

Replacements;
Apexi Power-FC

AND then you have to have them setup properly on a rolling road by someone who knows what they're doing, that ain't cheap either!

Even then you won't see dramatic improvements like you get when chipping a turbo charged diesel like the chipping business relies on.
With this engine you have to visit intake and exhaust too, and then forced induction if you want anything more than 165-ish bhp.
Believe me, there's quite a few of us who have explored all possible routes to more power and there's a wealth of experience written up in this performance section of our little meeting place here, all you have to do is look.

FGrob and myself have taken Normally Aspirated quite far without major modifications to engine internals, sjspitz is working on taking the 1zzfw engine even further. But go beyond the standard unit and it starts to cost a lot of money, then there are the 2zzge conversions (that nifty Celica VVLTI 190bhp engine), and a couple of very nice V6's. Turboes are around too, the late C2 kit, Hass kit, Power Enterprise kit, Top Secret kit, TTE fitted kit, Apexi (laughably called a kit), Thor Kit (which we've seen precious little of) and modifications of all those kits too because none of them are perfect and all have things that can and have been improved upon in various ways.

Then there's the Rotrex super charger, and the mythical CarverCharger over on spyder chat. But the supercharger kits are struggling for reliability and the turboes have been around long enough for people to make them more sturdy or know an advanced maintenance schedule.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is, don't buy an MR2 nd just expect to cheaply buy a chip and improve its performance - it's just not that simple!
For me, i'm very happy with my 164bhp and 133lb/ft and love the noise it makes. I'm concentrating on fixing the camber problems i have and improving air flow to the intake - just to iron out little imperfections i feel i still have. AND restoring my precious Ducati onto the road because although it's a pain getting into all the gear to go out riding properly, i'm finding i miss it now.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from.
Red car, Red leather interior, Red hardtop, Red gear gaiter, Red interior light, Red callipers, and red monster hat.
All very understated ;-)

MR2ROC Chairman 2009-2013
Wabbitkilla
MR2ROC Admin

Location: Skipton, North Yorkshire. Work in Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby FGRob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:18 am

And what Nic said above :wink:
FGRob

Postby pauljb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:33 am

Nick,

So what all mods have you done to your car to get it up to 164 bhp.

Am not looking for a massive improvment.

Just something with a bit more speed off the mark.

and then i will lower and get to handle better.

Trying to get as close to a Elise without having to spend alot of money on one. :)

lol

Cheers
pauljb

Postby Wabbitkilla » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:47 am

You want to have a look at Project Run Wabbit Run. Which has all the learning points in there too and shows the evolution of the car.

But in summary to get that from my engine;
Bored and flowed throttle body
Apexi power intake
Che exhaust manifold
Janspeed Exhaust system
TRD lightened flywheel
Exedy Organic clutch (might not be necesary but i was thinking turbo at the time)
Greddy racing iridium spark plugs
Mobil Edge 0w30 FS oil
K&N Gold oil filter.
Apexi Power-FC ECU
Rolling road tuning by Noble motorsport.

Even then there's probably a couple of grand spent there, and doesn't even include bracing, suspension, brakes, and cosmetics.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from.
Red car, Red leather interior, Red hardtop, Red gear gaiter, Red interior light, Red callipers, and red monster hat.
All very understated ;-)

MR2ROC Chairman 2009-2013
Wabbitkilla
MR2ROC Admin

Location: Skipton, North Yorkshire. Work in Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby FGRob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am

OK I'll give you my list

Crower Stage one cams
Zero 4 into 2 tuned manifold
SP Decat pipe
Blueflame Custom twin exhaust
Apexi Power FC ECU
K & N Panel Filter
Markiii Pipe
C-One engine Damper
Greedy Iridium spark plugs

BHP - 167.8
Torque 150 ftlbs

To make it take the extra power you need to look at the brakes & Suspension, which I've got:

Tein Superstreet with EDFC
SS anti roll bar drop links (TwoRus)
Megan fully adjustable rear toe, camber and caster bars.
EDC & Greenstuff pads
SS over braided brake hoses

All that cost more than £500 :scared:

Tough decision modding :wink:

Rob.
FGRob

Postby Jaik » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:44 am

pauljb wrote:Trying to get as close to a Elise without having to spend alot of money on one. :)

If you're just after straight line performance then fair enough. If you want to get round a track as fast as an Elise you'd be better off buying an Elise ;)
Jaik

Postby pauljb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 pm

lol

I may well have to wait for an ELISE

Cheers for the help guys
pauljb

Return to Performance Related