DING DAY 2018 will be Saturday June 9th. Holt Lodge Hotel again.
Double Rooms for Friday and Saturday nights will be available for £79.99 B&B or £69.99 for single occupancy.
Threads will go up soon but you can reserve the hotel now

LSD swap from roadster gearbox to Celica box?

Section for all engine swap discussions.
This includes any topics around 2ZZ-GE, 1MZ-FE, K20, 3S-GTE. etc etc.
str160

LSD swap from roadster gearbox to Celica box?

Postby str160 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi all,

Pondering fitting the LSD from the MR2 box I still have, into the Celica box on my 2ZZ converted car. Might also take the opportunity to fit a new synchro to 3rd.

What I'm struggling with is conflicting information.

I've read that the best thing to do would be swap the gear set out of the Celica box, into the MR2 box, leaving the LSD alone. All in all, a simple (ish) job.

The alternative being take the LSD out of the MR2 box, and put it in the other one, but then it requires setting/shimming. Is this the case? I haven't been able to find any details on it.

Thanks in advance.

JoeCool
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: LSD swap from roadster gearbox to Celica box?

Postby JoeCool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:00 pm

HEre's a link to the removal process: http://www.diymytoyota.com/corolla/quic ... ferential/

I have the LSD from a 5 Speed UK MR2 'box swapped into my 6 speed Corolla 'Box.

To me it looks far simpler to simply swap crown gears do give the diff the correct final ratio for the celica 'box. However if you're digging deep in there to pul the wholegearset and sort your synchros, then you might as well build up whatever gearbox you want. Obviously I had to get my 'box modified with a 6 speed shifter shaft and to reverse the linakge. At a guess yu wouldn't have to if you use the MR2 box casing but put the Celica gearset in it... but that's conjecture on my part.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Regret O'meter: NO REGRATSSS!

str160

Postby str160 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks, that guide will help massively.

Still need info on how to set the diff preload though. Anyone?

str160

Postby str160 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:38 am

I have just noticed the other thread in the main performance forum...

alancsalt
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Postby alancsalt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 am

Pinion gear is on mainshaft. Cannot simply change crown and pinion. Need the mainshaft that goes with crownwheel. 5 speed mainshaft is too short for a six speed.
You can just put the LSD onto the Celica crown wheel, doesn't matter if its from a five or six speed. Does require splitting the box though.
If it is for a 2ZZ - well you could put most of the Celica internals into a MR2 manual six speed I guess. This is to avoid buying the shifter shaft, blockout, etc? (That changes the gearshift operation to the other side of the box)
I was converting from SMT to Manual for my 2ZZ, so I just bought all the manual conversion bits.
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

str160

Postby str160 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:26 am

6+ months on, I am now driving round with the LSD installed. I did an engine and gearbox rebuild Nov/Dec.

The LSD makes a world of difference, and simple to install. I now understand where I was going wrong with the whole preload thing.

lamcote

Postby lamcote » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Can you elaborate on the solution to the preload thing?

Thanks
Silver 2004 MR2 - Unmodified but very shiny.

Micha

Postby Micha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:32 am

+1
Toyota MRS 2001 RHD Silver - Black HardTop - Sparco 16" Black - Greddy T517Z (TD0616G) Turbo - TopSecret Manifold - Sport Catalyst - PTR muffler - PWR Barrel Chargecooler - Blitz 525cc Injectors - Oil Cooler + Pressure/Temperature sensors - Moroso oil sump - ACT HDSS Clutch - TRD ShortShifter - Bearing Shifter Cable Bushing - JDL BodyKit + TopSecret type Front Bumper- Strut brace F/R - Underbrace F/R - Central X bar - ZenkyRacing Coilovers - Rear Control Arms - Front Anti-roll bar 22mm - Brembo front discs - Double fan without air conditioning...

m1tch
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Postby m1tch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 am

Guessing its step 63 in the manual.

http://www.tcorolla.net/overhaul-1203.html

Micha

Postby Micha » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you
Toyota MRS 2001 RHD Silver - Black HardTop - Sparco 16" Black - Greddy T517Z (TD0616G) Turbo - TopSecret Manifold - Sport Catalyst - PTR muffler - PWR Barrel Chargecooler - Blitz 525cc Injectors - Oil Cooler + Pressure/Temperature sensors - Moroso oil sump - ACT HDSS Clutch - TRD ShortShifter - Bearing Shifter Cable Bushing - JDL BodyKit + TopSecret type Front Bumper- Strut brace F/R - Underbrace F/R - Central X bar - ZenkyRacing Coilovers - Rear Control Arms - Front Anti-roll bar 22mm - Brembo front discs - Double fan without air conditioning...

Return to “Engine Swaps”