Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Anything MR2 related that doesn't fit the above categories. Please post non MR2 related comments in chit chat.

Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Have any Mk3 owners owned/driven a S1 Elise to give a non biased comparison on a slightly modded MR2, basic mods like springs, braces etc and a standard Elise S1 ?

I have the Elise just now and as much as i love it its becoming tiresome getting in and out over the sills.

I used to own a MK1 supercharger conversion which i loved and I'm pretty obsessed with MR2s even now, i buy MR2 only even though ive never owned one for years :lol:

I dont know what it is about the MK3 but i cant stop looking at them especially in Red when they are all shiney 8)

I know some of you have moved on from the MK3 so maybe you could reccomend other cars i could consider too?

I love the idea of a turbo'd MR2 and would love to get a pax in one at some point to see what I'm missing and compare it too the Elise.

Hopefully ive not rambled too much but i would value some opinions and cant stop thinking about 2's :bowdown:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I have tte lowering springs on, if you want a pax in mine and possibly a drive if your insurance covers you and you can pesuade me.
Where are you in Central?
nelix
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby Dan M » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I've only ever passengered in an S1 Elise but have driven an S2 111S and owned a VXR220, so I'm fairly happy that I know enough about the Elise chassis to hopefully shed a bit of light on this.


Don't ever, ever swap. You'll never get near how an S1 feels regardless of what you do to the MR2, and you'll hate yourself for walking away from the Lotus. I'd far rather go for a 111R or Exige S (both have slightly narrower sills than the S1) than go to an MR2, as they're simply not in the same league when it comes to performance. You'd be better off going for something completely different if you want a change (such as an S2K or 350Z) or going upmarket (986S can be had for silly money now). I love the MR2, and it will always be a car I love to drive, but it's simply a softer, duller version of the Elise that will never compare.



*awaits MR2 fanclub bashing*
Dan M
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:58 pm

nelix wrote:I have tte lowering springs on, if you want a pax in mine and possibly a drive if your insurance covers you and you can pesuade me.
Where are you in Central?


Hi thanks for the reply, I'm in Falkirk :mrgreen: If there are any locallish meets soon id love to come along to have a nosey 8)
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby VVT-i » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 pm

donnac wrote:I love the idea of a turbo'd MR2 and would love to get a pax in one at some point to see what I'm missing and compare it too the Elise.

Hopefully ive not rambled too much but i would value some opinions and cant stop thinking about 2's :bowdown:


I'm in Bo'ness... got a MK3 Turbo... gimmie a shout and I'll take you for a spin in it if you want.
2005 MR2 Roadster (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP ;)

Wabbitkilla wrote:Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it's warmed up it slips in nicely.
User avatar
VVT-i
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:08 pm
Location: Sunny Bo'ness

2005 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 pm

Not really enough of us up here for a meet tbh.

Falkirk is only about 40mins from me, not a bad pub in Falkirk, behind the wall.
nelix
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Dan M wrote:I've only ever passengered in an S1 Elise but have driven an S2 111S and owned a VXR220, so I'm fairly happy that I know enough about the Elise chassis to hopefully shed a bit of light on this.


Don't ever, ever swap. You'll never get near how an S1 feels regardless of what you do to the MR2, and you'll hate yourself for walking away from the Lotus. I'd far rather go for a 111R or Exige S (both have slightly narrower sills than the S1) than go to an MR2, as they're simply not in the same league when it comes to performance. You'd be better off going for something completely different if you want a change (such as an S2K or 350Z) or going upmarket (986S can be had for silly money now). I love the MR2, and it will always be a car I love to drive, but it's simply a softer, duller version of the Elise that will never compare.



*awaits MR2 fanclub bashing*


Thanks for the reply, its what i was looking for in terms of comparison.

The sad thing is I'm probably looking for a dulled down Lotus, i love the handling and performance from it (even though its the bog standard 1.8) i love the fact that the engine is behind me and like getting the roof off when its nice, however I'm no jensen button so i not even nearly take the car to the limit to make use of the handling or power tbh.

I had thought about trackdays but I'm wary of writing the Elise off, which again seems a waste as they are good on track.

When i bought it i got a bit carried away and bought on impulse as it was an itch i had always wanted to scratch so to speak :lol:

Now though the novelty has worn off a bit and it can be an irritating itch when passengers have difficulty getting in and out and middle age bald men drive like twonks when they see a girl at the wheel.

I'm not 100% about selling the Elise but I'm aware they sell pretty quickly and hold their value well, I'm also surprised at how much a decent MR2 can be had for now.

I suppose i really need to get round to a dealer and drive one to get a better idea.

The S2000 is another car i thought about but we have a NSX in the house so I'm not sure if i would.

The Boxter dosent appeal at all and the 350z is nice but it would be a bit of a dog in my price range tbh.

Sorry for the long rant , cant wait for my next installment of Mr2 only now :bounce:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:08 pm

VVT-i wrote:
donnac wrote:I love the idea of a turbo'd MR2 and would love to get a pax in one at some point to see what I'm missing and compare it too the Elise.

Hopefully ive not rambled too much but i would value some opinions and cant stop thinking about 2's :bowdown:


I'm in Bo'ness... got a MK3 Turbo... gimmie a shout and I'll take you for a spin in it if you want.


Hi Davy, i spoke to you on here this time last year and I'm back again :lol:

I called inot your work a few months ago for tyres and had asked if you were about but it was your day off, it would be great to meet up at some point though as id love a pax in the 2 8)
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:09 pm

nelix wrote:Not really enough of us up here for a meet tbh.

Falkirk is only about 40mins from me, not a bad pub in Falkirk, behind the wall.


Hi Phil, yes its a nice pub, in not out in Falkirk much though tbh, all my money goes on my cars :lol:

It would be cool to have a mini meet or a run over the summer, maybe even with the other Toyota models so swell the numbers :mrgreen:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Phill?, Phill? God no, i'm not Phill, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee never compare me to Phill. :scared:
nelix
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby the-village-idiot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:12 pm

former mk 3 mr2 owner, now S1 elise.

IMO you cant really compare the two cars- they are so different.

The mr2 is a very dulled down version of the elise- as a sports car its signicicantly inferior in every way.

However, if you want a "sports" car which is very easy to remove the roof, a doddle to get in/out, you enjoy moderate performance and handling, far less worry of people shunting into your car etc etc- then the mr2 is good at this.

you would have to sink a heck of a lot of £ into a mr2 to get it to handle similar to than of an elise- try removing 250Kg and giving the suspension a massive overhaul IMO.

If you bought a turbo Mk 3 then, for road use, you would have a far easier car to drive and live with- especially if you just want straight speed/acceleration/overtaking ability

what model S1 have you got???

On a twisty track the elise would match it comfortably- and in the elise it would of course be a far purer & rewarding experience

i loved my Mk3- just dont compare it to the elise, see it as a signiciant step down in terms of all aspects of performance, but in return you get a daily driver which is just as comfortable as any family car (IME/IMO), and if you turbo it its gonna be nippy too!
the-village-idiot
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 pm

nelix wrote:Phill?, Phill? God no, i'm not Phill, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee never compare me to Phill. :scared:


Sorry Noob error, i read the bottom of your sig and thought your name was Phil :flame:

Sorry :lol:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby the-village-idiot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 pm

IMO the s2k is essentially a bigger brother of the mr2

you would probably find the performance of s2k acceptable having gone from an elise. decent ones are not cheap though.

agreed the mk 3 mr2s are bargains now!!!!
the-village-idiot
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby Gif » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 pm

donnac wrote:and middle age bald men drive like t**ts when they see a girl at the wheel.


Do you mind, that breaches just about every one of my human rights :lol:

Some of us drive MR2s you know, so go easy on us
Z4 sDrive30i Auto
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust
User avatar
Gif
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 pm
Location: South Wales, UK

2004 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 pm

My Elise is a S1 with a B&C exhaust and filter and S2 suspension, are you on Scottish Elises? ve been on a run a few months back with them which was ace :lol:
Last edited by donnac on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Gif wrote:
donnac wrote:and middle age bald men drive like t**ts when they see a girl at the wheel.


Do you mind, that breaches just about every one of my human rights :lol:

Some of us drive MR2s you know, so go easy on us


Sorry Gif, i dont mean as a whole middle age bald ment drive like twonks :lol: just the ones who seem to be in front of me and try to tear off at junctions or drive up my ass in the diesel rep mobiles, it gets tiresome :lol:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Ok, i will swap you.
nelix
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby Ilogik » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Fancy a apart exchange :)
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam'd Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo
User avatar
Ilogik
 
Posts: 4924
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Birmingham

2000 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby Gif » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:32 pm

donnac wrote:
Gif wrote:
donnac wrote:and middle age bald men drive like t**ts when they see a girl at the wheel.


Do you mind, that breaches just about every one of my human rights :lol:

Some of us drive MR2s you know, so go easy on us


Sorry Gif, i dont mean as a whole middle age bald ment drive like t**ts :lol: just the ones who seem to be in front of me and try to tear off at junctions or drive up my ass in the diesel rep mobiles, it gets tiresome :lol:


My other car is a diesel BMW, somebody take her shovel away quick :lol:
Z4 sDrive30i Auto
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust
User avatar
Gif
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 pm
Location: South Wales, UK

2004 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Gif wrote:
donnac wrote:
Gif wrote:
Do you mind, that breaches just about every one of my human rights :lol:

Some of us drive MR2s you know, so go easy on us


Sorry Gif, i dont mean as a whole middle age bald ment drive like t**ts :lol: just the ones who seem to be in front of me and try to tear off at junctions or drive up my ass in the diesel rep mobiles, it gets tiresome :lol:


My other car is a diesel BMW, somebody take her shovel away quick :lol:


Oh dear the hole is getting deeper :oops: :lol:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 pm

nelix wrote:Ok, i will swap you.


Whats the details on yours ? :lol:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 pm

The only colour to have, sable.
nelix
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby VVT-i » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Do you also own a red Aygo (company logo on it)?.. I'm sure I've seen the NSX a few times.

As for a wee run in it... if your unsure about stiing beside a strange guy in a car, my wife will be more than happy to take you, only thing is she won't push it quite as hard as me, not that I'm a nigel mansel (showing my age here lol) or anything, it's just I'm more used to the car and have the confidence. I'm available every Sunday and most evenings, during the day it's hit or miss for my wife as she works 4 days on 2 days off, so her days off vary, but again.. most nights will be ok.
2005 MR2 Roadster (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP ;)

Wabbitkilla wrote:Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it's warmed up it slips in nicely.
User avatar
VVT-i
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:08 pm
Location: Sunny Bo'ness

2005 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 pm

VVT-i wrote:Do you also own a red Aygo (company logo on it)?.. I'm sure I've seen the NSX a few times.

As for a wee run in it... if your unsure about stiing beside a strange guy in a car, my wife will be more than happy to take you, only thing is she won't push it quite as hard as me, not that I'm a nigel mansel (showing my age here lol) or anything, it's just I'm more used to the car and have the confidence. I'm available every Sunday and most evenings, during the day it's hit or miss for my wife as she works 4 days on 2 days off, so her days off vary, but again.. most nights will be ok.


Yip thats us, the logos are off the Aygo now though, it would be cool to meet up, if the weather is decent over the weekend etc and you have it out it would be great to see it, and I'm not worried about going out in the car with a strange man :lol: , I'm more scared of going in a car with a Boness'ian :lol:

The corrola compressor is a lovely car too, how does it compare to your turbo?

Cheers

Donna
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 pm

nelix wrote:The only colour to have, sable.


That is a lovely colour 8)

I'm pretty sure id like a red or black MR2 though, I'm not bothered about age so I'm would be buying on condition rather that the age.

Did the tax band change much from the 2001 onwards cars?

Also is the hard top easy enough to swap on and off? as i keep the hard top on my Elise all the time and just take it off and leave it in the house when i go out for a spin in the sun, ive never been keen on leaving a soft top parked up
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Hard top goes on and off in seconds, simply unclip the front two latches that the soft top also uses and two side latches and carry it off the car.
nelix
 


Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 pm

nelix wrote:Hard top goes on and off in seconds, simply unclip the front two latches that the soft top also uses and two side latches and carry it off the car.


Excellent thats another plus point then for the MR2 8)
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby evileye_wrx » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:37 pm

nelix wrote:Phill?, Phill? God no, i'm not Phill, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee never compare me to Phill. :scared:


There is no comparison. Craig is only half the man I am..... Around the middle anyway :twisted:

The Real Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp
evileye_wrx
 
Posts: 3643
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:48 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby donnac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 pm

evileye_xc wrote:
nelix wrote:Phill?, Phill? God no, i'm not Phill, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee never compare me to Phill. :scared:


There is no comparison. Craig is only half the man I am..... Around the middle anyway :twisted:

The Real Phil


:lol: this site is nuts :lol: i think I'm going to like it here :lol:
2002 Blue Roadster
donnac
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Central Scotland

2002 Toyota MR2

Re: Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Postby nelix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 pm

You cannot confuse Phill and i. I am articulate, handsome, debonair, intelligent, modest and my dna is human.

Phill is Phill. :lol:
nelix
 


Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: topbanana and 3 guests