Driving Tips and Hints

Anything MR2 related that doesn't fit the above categories. Please post non MR2 related comments in chit chat.

Driving Tips and Hints

Postby JudoKilli » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:00 pm

I've had my '2 for a few days now, and I've used it round and about town, but today was the first time I took it out for a spin around the local countryside.
I managed to get a proper feel of the car, and found it an immensely pleasurable experience!

Before the '2 I had a 88bhp '97 Mitsubishi Colt, which is a front engine front wheel drive car. To be honest I think the only similarities between the two are that they are both light and both black! Suffice to say, the driving experience is VERY different, and I've had fun trying to "learn" how a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive car works.

I was wondering if any of you wise people out there had any tips or hits on driving the MR2, baring in mind that what I'm used to really is very rubbish compared to the '2.

Thanks in advance,

JudoKilli :bounce:
Black 2003 - Red Leather - Black Tinted Side Indicators - Lockwood Sills - ZunSport Front Grille - Midship Front Badge - Dev's Keyhole Covers - Wanted: Lowering Springs, Cobra Quad Exhaust, TRD Style Spoiler, PPE CAI
"Greeks do not fight as heroes, heroes fight like Greeks" - Winston Churchill - 1941
"If they could see on my face what I feel in my heart, no one would ever fight me." - Yasuhiro Yamashita, one of the greatest Judo players of recent times.
JudoKilli

2003 Toyota MR2

Re: Driving Tips and Hints

Postby Ilogik » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:43 pm

JudoKilli wrote:I've had my '2 for a few days now, and I've used it round and about town, but today was the first time I took it out for a spin around the local countryside.
I managed to get a proper feel of the car, and found it an immensely pleasurable experience!

Before the '2 I had a 88bhp '97 Mitsubishi Colt, which is a front engine front wheel drive car. To be honest I think the only similarities between the two are that they are both light and both black! Suffice to say, the driving experience is VERY different, and I've had fun trying to "learn" how a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive car works.

I was wondering if any of you wise people out there had any tips or hits on driving the MR2, baring in mind that what I'm used to really is very rubbish compared to the '2.

Thanks in advance,

JudoKilli :bounce:

book yourself on a track day and really get to grips with the car is my best advice, you wont know your limits untill you been beyond them, and a track is the best place to get a feel for it.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam'd Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby nelix » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:57 pm

And of course, post millions of pics of your car. :lol:
nelix

Postby Liz » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:58 pm

+1 on that, even better a driver training day at North Weald, best day I ever spent with knowing the car...(heading off to Southend tonight, so look out for a red with 17" wheels...there for next 2 days!)

http://www.carlimits.com/
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!
Liz

Postby Ilogik » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 pm

nelix wrote:And of course, post millions of pics of your car. :lol:

that does help to :lol:
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby ex-member » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Tbh, just take it easy. I learned in a corsa and a 206. 12 lessons, then I bought my first car, a mk2 mr2. Then 3 years later, my 2nd car, a mk3 mr2....so I'm used to the way these cars drive. So it's all about getting used to them. You'll son realise what NOT to do if you have crap tyres and drive in the wet lets say ;)
ex-member

Postby Ilogik » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:39 pm

mark_a_thorpe wrote:Tbh, just take it easy. I learned in a corsa and a 206. 12 lessons, then I bought my first car, a mk2 mr2. Then 3 years later, my 2nd car, a mk3 mr2....so I'm used to the way these cars drive. So it's all about getting used to them. You'll son realise what NOT to do if you have crap tyres and drive in the wet lets say ;)

take it on a track day, road driving is way different to crapping your pants going into a big corner and the back end going at silly speed.
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby ex-member » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Oh, totally agree, wbut hwat I meant was that when the back end doe kick out, you'll soon learn how to make sure it doesnt happen again ;)
ex-member

Postby nelix » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:50 pm

And of course, a track day will make your penis bigger too. :roll:
nelix

Postby Thudd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 am

I'd say stick a few miles on it and get used to it gradually.
I did 600 miles of country roads over a couple of days in mine, and was a lot more comfortable with it by the end.

Coming from hot hatches, main things are much better steering feel and involvement. Main thing to watch out for is mashing the throttle in a low gear mid corner isn't a great idea if it's slippery. You get a much better feel from the car, so once you're keyed in to it you can spot it, which builds confidence.
The line you'd take through a corner is different as well, imo. Don't just pitch it in and understeer into a late apex. Slow down, turn in early, and come round under power, feeding it in gradually and feeling how much you can put on.
Just imo, of course, nobody said I could drive :lol:

Oh and watch your tyre pressures. It's really sensitive to pressures. And it's more fun with the roof off and 4krpm on the dial.
Thudd

Postby Ilogik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24 pm

nelix wrote:And of course, a track day will make your penis bigger too. :roll:

I take it you done a lot of track days?
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby uktotty » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:30 pm

I would say very few!!
Corkys - Pelican Racing Grille - Blue Flame - Xenons - Lockwoods - JVC DVD MP3- Big Mongos! - Crystal Indicators -Tans hairpins - Devs Caps - Devs Light Cover - Devs Dedimple - Girls Number Plate - JSpec Wheel Caps - JSpec Nose Badge - JSpec Graphics - JSpec Rear Badge - Brodit Car kit and Holder - Blue Hardtop - Unichip - TTE Springs - TTE Spoiler - TTE Filler Cap - Juran FSB - Juran RSB - Facelift Front/Rear Lights - Titanium HVAC**** PRECAT FREE ZONE!****
uktotty

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby Ilogik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:43 pm

You saying his got a small tinkle UK, not another one time at Roc camp stories is it :P
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby Slacey » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 pm

Develop a smooth and progressive driving style, helps in all situations but is especially relevant to RWD cars. Airfield days are a better bet than a trackday to 'learn' the car - the trackday organisers will not be best pleased if you are having offs at every other corner while you find out the limits of both you and the car!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather
First Hass Turbo outside the US
Weapon of choice - 1995 TVR Griffith 500 and 3 road bikes :twisted:
Cyclosport rider & writer
Slacey
MR2ROC Founder

Postby nelix » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Ilogik wrote:

Nope, never felt the need to go for any enlargement.
nelix

Postby Ilogik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 pm

nelix wrote:
Ilogik wrote:

Nope, never felt the need to go for any enlargement.

Never been tempted to do any for the fun factor? scaring the crap out yourself whilst having a thrill.
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby nelix » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:03 pm

I have a bike for that. :D
nelix

Postby ChrisGB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Yeah, I noticed that 8)

Chris
When I am in charge, things will be different.

Anon wrote:That's a lot of sausage!

Visit my NEW MR2 page (Last updated 19-1-2012)
ChrisGB
Forum Moderator

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby Ilogik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 pm

nelix wrote:I have a bike for that. :D

Ahh fair enough, never felt safe on a bike, hate off to people who can and got the balls to ride them properly.
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby ChrisGB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Keep it smooth. Do not clench the wheel, have a gentle grip, let the car move in its own way and feel what it is doing. Build up the rhythm by starting slow and smooth and getting better and better at that. You will find you cover ground at quite a pace without breaking a sweat once you get used to it.

Things not to do: Hard trail braking (leaving the brakes on deep into a corner) can cause a spin, as can mid corner braking. Slow and smooth in, smooth throttle build up as the cornering force unloads approaching the exit is my preferred way to drive it on road.

Go on a car limits airfield day! Great fun and you learn what your car feel like just before (and after) it bites you.

Chris

ChrisGB
Forum Moderator

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby FGRob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:02 pm

ChrisGB wrote:Keep it smooth. Do not clench, have a gentle grip, let the car move in its own way and feel what it is doing. Build up the rhythm by starting slow and smooth and getting better and better at that. You will find you cover ground at quite a pace without breaking a sweat once you get used to it.

Are we talking car,bike or penis Chris. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FGRob

Postby ChrisGB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:12 pm

FGRob wrote:
ChrisGB wrote:Keep it smooth. Do not clench, have a gentle grip, let the car move in its own way and feel what it is doing. Build up the rhythm by starting slow and smooth and getting better and better at that. You will find you cover ground at quite a pace without breaking a sweat once you get used to it.

Are we talking car,bike or penis Chris. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well all three I suppose :?: :oops:

Chris

ChrisGB
Forum Moderator

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby JudoKilli » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks for all the helpful, funny, yet somewhat disturbing advice guys! I'll take everything you said into account, and am looking at prices etc. for an airfield day! :bounce:
Black 2003 - Red Leather - Black Tinted Side Indicators - Lockwood Sills - ZunSport Front Grille - Midship Front Badge - Dev's Keyhole Covers - Wanted: Lowering Springs, Cobra Quad Exhaust, TRD Style Spoiler, PPE CAI
"Greeks do not fight as heroes, heroes fight like Greeks" - Winston Churchill - 1941
"If they could see on my face what I feel in my heart, no one would ever fight me." - Yasuhiro Yamashita, one of the greatest Judo players of recent times.
JudoKilli

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby the-village-idiot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm

agree with track day

also make sure you understand what it is your trying to atchieve with the car- along with its pro's & its cons.

How does its mid engined characteristic help & hinder the car? It has excellent balance and poise, and a very high level of cornering grip. However, with the bulk of its weight in the middle, if the back does start to swing around- it will happen VERY quickly. This means you need to know when this will happen so you can predict it (any sudden change in speed, traction or road camber) and what to do if it does.

How does its rear wheel drive help & hinder the car? It means the front wheels can concentrate on the stearing- but means- in low grip conditions- you can cause power over steer, or, if you choose to accelerate at the wrong time (eg during a slide) you may make things considerably worse.

Be very smooth and gradual, but firm & progressive with your inputs- understand that ANY change or input will alter the balance of the car and thus alter the grip on all 4 wheels.

To begin with at least, brake in a straight line, and obey the motto, "slow in, fast out"- its a far safer way of driving on the road, and the most effective way of reducing lap times on track.

understand what the car is and isn't:

its NOT a devastatingly effective B road blatter in all conditions- you want a scooby for that
its NOT a highly forgiving stuck to the road car- again you want a scooby for that
its NOT a straight line monster- most hot hatches are quicker than it
its NOT a drift friendly RWD car- you want an mx5 or an old BMW for that

it IS a very pure way of driving
it IS a cheap way of driving thrills at relativly slow speeds in safety
it IS great fun and thanks to its lowish power and setup rewards good driving habbits
it IS a great fun convertable- make the most of it!! :D
the-village-idiot

Postby Ilogik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 pm

JudoKilli wrote:Thanks for all the helpful, funny, yet somewhat disturbing advice guys! I'll take everything you said into account, and am looking at prices etc. for an airfield day! :bounce:

Where do you actually live? you location is confusing as hell.

Check this out mate, £18 membership, lots of pro's who you can ask for advice and only on your doorstep if it is indeed stafford.

http://www.curborough.co.uk/sdccmship.htm
Ilogik

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby kentsmudger » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Ilogik wrote:
JudoKilli wrote:Thanks for all the helpful, funny, yet somewhat disturbing advice guys! I'll take everything you said into account, and am looking at prices etc. for an airfield day! :bounce:

Check this out mate, £18 membership, lots of pro's who you can ask for advice and only on your doorstep if it is indeed stafford.

.... and if it's Essex, check out North Weald Airfield with Carlimits
Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky's Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and other cars.

'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012)
kentsmudger

Postby JudoKilli » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Ilogik wrote:

Sorry to confuse you Ilogik, I'll change it to make it more understandable. During term time I live @ uni in Keele University ( which is in Staffordshire) and during holidays I live in Southend, Essex.

I'll take a look at both of those links, and again, thanks to everyone for the great advice!
JudoKilli

2003 Toyota MR2

Return to General