Production numbers of Roadster

Anything MR2 related that doesn't fit the above categories. Please post non MR2 related comments in chit chat.

Production numbers of Roadster

Postby FGrob » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Does any one know the final production figures for the Roadster, we were talking about this the other day and I've no idea.

I did see some stuff Aaron posted but that only goes up to 2003.

Thanks
Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.
FGrob

Re: Production numbers of Roadster

Postby nelix » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:17 pm

From Wiki.

"The ZZW30 sold 7,233 units in its debut year, falling to just 901 for the 2005 model, for a total of 23,868 through its six years of production in the US. The 2005 model year was the last for the MR2 in the US. While the MR2 Spyder was not sold after 2005 in the United States, it was offered in Japan, Mexico, and Europe until 2007. Production of the car ceased permanently in January 2007."

Not sure if that is just US figures though?
nelix

Postby roger » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:00 pm

nelix wrote:Not sure if that is just US figures though?

For some reason SC seem to have US figures only. Maybe Toyota are (or have to be) a bit more free with their data over there.
Roger

'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
ImageCheck my fuel consumption
roger
MR2ROC Club Secretary & Treasurer

2004 Toyota MR2

Postby carl_evs » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:05 pm

I just guess nobody over here has asked them. Its just a case of asking the question I suppose. Surely they are duty bound to answer under the freedom of information act?!?
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

nelix wrote: Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks
carl_evs

Postby Dan M » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Being a private company, I doubt that ;)

Might be worth a letter to TGBHQ maybe?
Dan M

Postby Gif » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Or just find the guy/girl who bought the last one :lol: They must be on here!
Z4 sDrive30i Auto
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust
Gif

2004 Toyota MR2

Postby life of bryan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Gif wrote:Or just find the guy/girl who bought the last one :lol: They must be on here!

That will be the TF300 then,are you out there?
life of bryan

Postby frogger » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Here's one... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30760&view=unread#unread

The VIN of any TF300 may well put you in the right ballpark though? aren't they issued sequentially?
If so our early import has a VIN that indicates its in the first 2000 (i.e. less than ZZW30-0002000).

(Forgive me for not putting my actual VIN :) can't be too carefull lol)
frogger

Postby DannyN » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 pm

frogger wrote:Here's one... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30760&view=unread#unread

The VIN of any TF300 may well put you in the right ballpark though? aren't they issued sequentially?
If so our early import has a VIN that indicates its in the first 2000 (i.e. less than ZZW30-0002000).

(Forgive me for not putting my actual VIN :) can't be too carefull lol)

On that basis there must be one floating around somewhere thats ZZW30-0000001, bit easy to forge isnt it ??
DannyN wrote:There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don't...

Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - '03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
DannyN

Postby life of bryan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 pm

When bought new TF300 (The Final 300) was issued with a certificate with a number within the 300 signed by some important person in Toyota and their number on the seats and near the frunk iirc telling them which one of the last 300 they have.

My roadster that was bought in the middle of July 2000 has a chassis that ends in 16000 and odd which is about right when you look at this.
http://web.archive.org/web/200411040428 ... uction.htm
life of bryan

Postby frogger » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:21 pm

DannyN wrote:On that basis there must be one floating around somewhere thats ZZW30-0000001, bit easy to forge isnt it ??

With respect to forging/cloning - You would need to at least know the colour and registration to go with the VIN for it to be any use.
Therefore knowing that ZZW30-0000001 existed is useless in isolation - BUT on a public forum where pictures are shared and a "spotted" forum exists, the potential is there. (Don't get any ideas now :lol: )

My roadster that was bought in the middle of July 2000 has a chassis that ends in 16000 and odd which is about right when you look at this.
://web.archive.org/web/200411040428 ... uction.htm

Looks right with mine too. I would think the only time cars are assigned non-sequential VIN's occurs when more than one factory is manufacturing the same vehicle, as I would imagine that 'groups' of VIN's (or prefixes) may be assigned in this eventuality (which would thus skew the numbers when groups aren't fully utilised).

IIRC the roadster/MR-S was only manufactured at one site (?)
If so, then this method might have legs, and a TF300 VIN may give the awnser to +/-300 vehicles.

And finally...

Does any one know the final production figures for the Roadster, we were talking about this the other day and I've no idea.

Just out of interest.. Why??! :)
Interesting Q none the less. :lol:
frogger

Postby cclarke99 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 am

I thought i read somewhere that the VIN contained some sort of checksum to make fraud harder and also allow errors in typing, etc to be detected. Plus manufacturers often adjust serial number sequences to make the numbers look larger or to imply that one product is a follow-on from another.
cclarke99

Postby widermuller » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Interesting subject.........
From what I've read somewhere, they were produced in smaller no's than mk 1 and 11's The reasons's for this, they were withdrawn from the american market early,(2005) so that lost sales, coupled with that as in the uk it has no boot which, put a lot of buyers off including traditional mr2 buyers. When the mk3 came along their was more competition in the market place than the mk1 and mk11 had to face. Remember the MGF/TF was once Britian's most popular convertible, scary stuff!

The figures mentioned are the US sales, I've never seen UK sales figures apart from mk1 and mk11.
But I once looked at the worldwide figures for mk11 sales and come to the conclusion that total worldwide sales of the the roadster could be as low or lower than 300,000 cars. Bearing in mind that they no way sold as well as mk11's in most markets.

Also I remember reading in the uk Audi tt and Boxter sales out sold Mr2 roadster by 3 to 1 infavour of the dearer cars!

To my knowledge they were only produced in one factory a subsidery company of Toyota called 'Central motors' coupled with the fact its got a yamaha engine you could say its not a Toyota at all! Supposedly when they built the mk1's and 11's the line was not even robotised, so they were more or less hand built.
Swaps owners, as much as it swaps ends!
widermuller

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby Dan M » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:02 pm

widermuller wrote:...the fact its got a yamaha engine

I thought the 1ZZ was a 'Yota lump, and it was the 2ZZ that was the Yamaha?
Dan M

Postby normanh » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 pm

I have a figure of 67K world wide for the roadster stuck in my mind from somewhere.

norman
normanh

Postby FGrob » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:50 pm

As I said at the start of the thread, not a great deal of info around, the only figure I've seen was posted by Aaron on an old website which went to July 2003 with a total of 62,532 produced, with an average production of approximately 10,000 per year, so if you add a further 4 years production say with a yearly production of 8000 - could be less on the latter years which means you are looking at less than 100,000 cars worldwide sold - I wonder how many are still left.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.
FGrob

Postby SteveJ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Dan M wrote:
widermuller wrote:...the fact its got a yamaha engine

I thought the 1ZZ was a 'Yota lump, and it was the 2ZZ that was the Yamaha?

You've got to laugh when newbs post rubbish like this claiming them to be 'fact'
'02' Astral Black '2 Hass StageII + too many other bits to remember!
'63' Silver VW Golf Cabrio 2.0TDi
Ex-'Y' Silver Haze/SMT/Hardtop/Black Leather
Ex-'03' Astral Black/SMT/Charcoal&Magnolia leather/Eibach Springs
Ex-'53' Lagoon Blue/SMT/Silver Grey Leather/Eibach Springs/C-One Front Strut Brace
SteveJ

Postby widermuller » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Comments like that make this site so crap, that why I hardly post here, IF this steve j is so clever why can't he tell us how many roadsters were made instead of picking holes from the sidelines??? Thats all he does I seen so many of his posts that do this!

The fact is the engine is a yamaha design they do a great deal of RnD for Toyota dating right back to the 2000gt If he knows what that is.

As for being a noob, for steve j's imformation I'm a time served mechanical fitter ex British Aerospace, and worked in their guided weapon division, so if He works or has worked in the industry he will know the kind of standards I worked to. I do all my own work on my vehicle and mods, spray work el al. I've had an interest in classic cars for over 25 years, and been on the classic jap car scene since 1997 when I attended the origional JAE'S organised by The Toyota Enthusiasts club. Can anyone tell me WHY people love to slag off people they don't even know, or know what their skills and abilities are???
widermuller

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby Goeman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:19 pm

This thread may be of benefit to you Windermuller. Will save you any future headaches from people you'd rather not hear from.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30792
Russell
Goeman

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby Wabbitkilla » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

[MOD]OK, can we be nice to each other please? It doesn't make you look big or clever to have a go at, or belittle anybody just because they lack the in depth experience you have, quite the opposite really. Now if we can return to roughly the subject that was started!! [/MOD]

Dan, I think that maybe a letter to Toyota GB might be a good idea to fill out the history of the Roadster - good idea :D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from.
Red car, Red leather interior, Red hardtop, Red gear gaiter, Red interior light, Red callipers, and red monster hat.
All very understated ;-)

MR2ROC Chairman 2009-2013
Wabbitkilla
MR2ROC Admin

Location: Skipton, North Yorkshire. Work in Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby Goeman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I know a guy who works for car magazine. He might know who is the right person to talk to at Toyota's press department. I'll ask him.
Russell
Goeman

2003 Toyota MR2

Postby SteveJ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:34 pm

widermuller wrote: The fact is the engine is a yamaha design they do a great deal of RnD for Toyota dating right back to the 2000gt If he knows what that is.

Suggest you have a read of the following -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine

&

http://www.locost7.info/files/engine/1zzfe.pdf

Oh - and whilst we were meeting with the engineers at TTE back in October 2003, they also confirmed the 2ZZ is a Yamaha lump, with the 1ZZ being an in-house engine, so YES I do know what I am on about :roll:
Ex-'53' Lagoon Blue/SMT/Silver Grey Leather/Eibach Springs/C-One Front Strut Brace
SteveJ

Postby Wabbitkilla » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:41 pm

[MOD]If I have to remind anyone again to stick to the topic, I'll get really moody! Useful info though :D [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from.
Red car, Red leather interior, Red hardtop, Red gear gaiter, Red interior light, Red callipers, and red monster hat.
All very understated ;-)

MR2ROC Chairman 2009-2013
Wabbitkilla
MR2ROC Admin

Location: Skipton, North Yorkshire. Work in Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby mattbrown82 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:31 pm

The DVLA may be able to provide info on UK roadsters registered if you don't get anywhere with Toyota GB.

Matt
01 Blue - 2zz, Hardtop, D2 Coilovers
03 Sable - Sold
mattbrown82

Postby widermuller » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:43 pm

In the book by Brian Long, 'Toyota Mr2 coupes and spiders' it is claimed it is a BEAM'S engine, I checked the Beam's owners group website and this claim seem's to be backed up.

So... Who are BEAM'S? are they an in house tuner at Toyota? OR and an outside contractor?
widermuller

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby SteveJ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:01 pm

The BEAMS engine was a hybrid 3S-GE block with the VVTi head (Patrick at Rogue can explain this better than I can), that was fitted to the late MkII NA's (which is the coupe's part of the book title)

The roadster has only ever had the in-house developed 1ZZ-FE.
SteveJ

Postby mattbrown82 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:11 pm

BEAMS is an acronym which stands for Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System.

Wikipedia has a bit more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine#Gen_4

Matt
01 Blue - 2zz, Hardtop, D2 Coilovers
03 Sable - Sold
mattbrown82

Postby Treboeth » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:19 pm

mattbrown82 wrote:The DVLA may be able to provide info on UK roadsters registered if you don't get anywhere with Toyota GB.

Matt

Matt if anyone needs to call to the DVLA in person I suppose I`ll have to volunteer( as its only about 2miles from me :D )
AmeR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm
The Mrs had an idea the other day to lose the bonnet and turn the frunk into a seat for our pooch!! All that would be needed is a harness and some goggles!! :lol:
Treboeth

Postby widermuller » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Interesting to note, that in Brian Long's book page 159 under the heading 'Toyota's MRS as a sports convertabile should be' Refer's to a press release made by Toyota (japan) at the time, stating: (and I quote) 'Power pours forth from its high performance 1.8 litre BEAMS 1ZZ-FE ENGINE equipped with vvt-i.' Un-quote.

I suggest if members have the book, that they read this paragraph.
widermuller

2000 Toyota MR2

Postby Goeman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:11 am

The DVLA will just have the UK numbers. My journalist friend says that the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders will have access to such information but he's happy to ask for us if I remind him.
Russell
Goeman

2003 Toyota MR2

Next

Return to General