Fitting New front speakers !!!!! All explained

Started by Anonymous, June 7, 2003, 11:36

Anonymous

Right some of you may rember i posted this ages ago on the old forum but a few people may find this interesting so here's what you need to up grade the front speaker.

A good set of 6.5" compents with a 1" tweeter (silk dome)
12mm MDF board
A few long screws and around 3-4mm thick
Sound deadening (dynomat or brown bread)
Speaker wire 12 awg
crimpers and bullet and sockets
Soldering iron
and patents!

First you need to make  a spacer like in the pciture made from 12 mm MDF

you can make these by tracing round the outline of the old mounting (plastic one) and making the opening a bit bigger so that the chassis of teh speaker fit's in. Or i can make them for you and send them throguht the post as i have a master to copy from. Contact me for spacers.

To show how the speaker will fit in car picture below shows how the spacer moves the speaker away from the glass that retracts in the door.

See how far the speaker is set away from the spacer

Next all components sets will come with a Cross over, some sets come with an active cross over witch means that a power suply is needed but most dont, I mounted the cross overs in the doors as then you only have to run 1 set of speaker wire throguth the door gromet. Heres the postion i mounted mine in you have to take a large peice of foam out but this is only for sound deadening and will be made redundant when the dynomat is layed:

Running speaker wire throught the gromet in the door is the hardest thing in this set up, The gromet are only desgined to take small wires not thick 12awg speaker wire so i would suggest getting a coat hanger or draw wire and taping the end of the speaker wire to this and then sparying WD40 on the end so that it will slide throgh easyier. Note i have done 10 2's now and it takes me about 30 mins to pull one set of speaker wires though so it takes time.

Next is fitting the tweeter this involes removing the old tweeters and surrounding which leaves a nice hole for the new tweeter to fit. The hole will need trimming so that the bigger tweeter will fit but dont be scared to trim the pannel the old tweeter bracket will still fit so everyhting looks the same when you sell it (  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) if you do that is.

The next photo shows how the speaker should look once mounted from top so that you can see that it's tight to the car and how the spacer looks in place

from top

Next you need to wire up the speaker this is simple as you have 1 set of wire's from the headunit or amp, this then gose to the cross over as input. then you have to outputs one for Mid bass the other for trebble, the treeble gose to the tweeter + and - right way round and mid bass gose to the 6.5" mid range + and - right way round.

The final thing is to make sure your getting sound from the spaker by turing the headunit on. You may have some adjust ments in the crossovers so the sound is to your liking but setting a system up take around 10 mins if you have an amp. If your using an amp make sure all the gains are turined down to 0 so you have no sound and then once's tunred on turn the gains up so that the volume corresponse with the volume on the headunit.

Wanring: dont turn the speaker full blast for the 1st week or so let them bed in and them slowly relase the power throght them other wise you will blow them or damage the magnets

The last ting if you want to if sound deaden the car pannel so it keeps the bass in and stop things rattleing. picture show below how it's done

I think thast about it any more questions just ask on this thread

cheers and i hope this is helpfull to some peoeple   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Thanks Buster, that's reet helpful is that. The only thing left that I want to do to my car is upgrade the speakers, now I can see how it's done, i might attempt it, unless someone feels like a little job at JAE...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Think Buster is going to be busy at JAE this year! actually, i think everyone will be helping fit something to everyone elses car anyway!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

Moved to the new Audio Forum.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

YAY i got a audio bit on teh forum WHOO!

yeah Slacey if you want a hand fitting the speaker i shall be there! Nothing much to it but i will bring with me some mounting brackets for teh speaker made from MDF saves bringing all the jigsaw and stuff !

Just out of interest how many people would like the mounting brackets (spacers) just so i know how many to bring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

That would be great Buster, count me in for some brackets... what would your recommendation be for speakers then? I know you mentioned some in another thread, but I don't want to spend a fortune - also, would you be able to supply the bits I need (paid for in advance, obviously!)?

Anonymous

I would recomend the Focals 165a they are around £130

all the other bits work out at £40 i would guess, If you pop down to halford you can pick them up but if you dont know what your looking for then i can get it for ya   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Comer

Are the Focal 165's replacements for the main speaker?  What about the smaller ones?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"Are the Focal 165's replacements for the main speaker?  What about the smaller ones?

They are a compent set so they have 4 speakers in total 2 for each side 1 big 1 and 1 small one, Like in the photos,

Slacey

Buster, you have PM...   s:D :D s:D

zud

Firstly, a very big thankyou to Buster!  I followed his write-up on the previous forum and successfully fitted some Focal 165's to the stock h/u.  Even without an amp they sound great... a huge improvement over the stock speakers.  Cheers Buster.

And secondly, a couple of tips from my fitting...

* Previsouly, Buster mentioned using flashing tape as a cheap alternative to dynamat.  I used this under the crossoverer, and over the speaker wire runs... I've had no rattles (but maybe I wouldn't have had any anyway)

* My mate mentioned that car speakers usually have a rain/water shield to protect them from rain dripping down inside the door.  I fashioned one from dynamat/flashing tape.  I made a cylinder of dynamat that was about 4 or 5" long and with a diameter that just fits into the speaker hole.  I put the cylinder halfway through the hole, then made cuts from the (outside) end of cylinder to door frame, then folded back the slices.  This looks like Buster's pic with dynamat round the speaker hole, but there's still a bit of the cylinder inside the door (I knew I should have taken a photo!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ).  I then sliced the cyinder on the inside of the door, but only at the bottom.  i.e.  I left the top half of the cylinder intact on the inside of the door for the rain shield.  I wasn't sure how water proof dynamat is, so I put some flashing tape on the top edge on the shield (this also makes it a bit more solid)

* I found some "coach bolts" in Homebase that were just the right size to go through the MDF spacer and into the stock plastic screw holes.  They have a spanner/socket type head and gave a really tight fit.

Hope some of this proves useful to someone!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

The rain protector you speak of is a good idea but i have done a bit of investigating and the rain (water on the window) dose not reach inside the door it only makes contact the other side of teh glass to tge speaker so in thoery you shouldnt get any moister in there,

But it dose sound a good idea Zud. Altho i would imagine that the dynomat would limit he amount of air passing throught teh voice coils of the speaker and may over heat if pushed, Are you going to JAE would like to see what you have dont in the flesh   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

zud

Buster,
I should have guessed you had the angles covered re: windows, rain water etc!  I guess my shield will be belt and braces if water gets on the inside.

I'm not planning to go to JAE, but if it helps... the shield retains the same shape as the initial cylinder, it doesn't hang down behind the speaker (The bit of flashing tape above the "shield" should ensure it stays that shape).  Could that still limit the air circulation?  Also, for my setup, could the speakers produce that kind of heat without an amp?
Cheers,
Russ (zud)

Anonymous

Russ,
      You proboly wont experience much heat without a amp, but with long distance you may with long pay time. The hotter the speaker gets the more the magnets expand so the more ware will take place, This then cause's the magnets to miss aline and then cause distortion. It's not a big case as im sure my speaker get very hot with 200 W RMS going throught them each side but it's worth noting if the speaker qauilty deteriates   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Over all tho do you like the sound they give ?

zud

Buster,
I'm very pleased with the Focals.  

After I'd installed one I compared it with the stock speaker in the other door.  If anything the stock speaker seemed louder for the same volume setting on the h/u, but this was probably down to all the extra (bad) "noise" it produced!  But I could never get the stock speakers above halfway on the volume scale, whereas the Focals handle full volume for most CDs.  

Also, the sound quality is many times better, very clear, with plenty of bass, and I get to leave the d-bass on 1 virtually all the time, rather than constanty trying to find a reasonable setting.  Do you think they'll put us on commission?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Comer

Buster have you thought of offering a package?  

4 Focals + fitting for £x.  

Options including Dynamat for an extra £x or an amp for extra £x.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Slacey

Buster, did you get the PM I sent  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"Buster have you thought of offering a package?  

4 Focals + fitting for £x.  

Options including Dynamat for an extra £x or an amp for extra £x.

Yeah but never thought that there would be this much interest worht a go tho i supose but im not realy in it for the £ i like doing it i enjot tackleing a problem, I just hope that when i have a problem with something mehanical in hte car than i could get help to fix it like this !

QuoteBuster, did you get the PM I sent

yeah i got it but i Dont know what you wanted you didnt specify   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Tell me what you want and i will price it up. I can ordre the stuff on line and get it delivered to yours so you can have it before JAE if you want !

If you want Just speakers or an amp or what ever let me know on here and i will let you know Prices and tell me how you want it delivered + how long you at JAE for the 3 days or just 1 as i have around 3 cars to do at the moment   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   But i can definaltey fit them all in so dont worry you want lose out i promise   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Is it worth trying to organise a group by for some of these Focals? Is there much/enough interest?

J

Anonymous

I have spoken at last to the Supplier i know and he said that focals are very expensive to buy in and therefore not much mark up so a group buy he wasnt able to do but he has got them cheap,

well same price as halfords but they buy them in the thousands LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

but be warned Halfords want 20 dasy for delivery and dont get it fitted by them as they dont have a clue and will just rip your door cards to shreds   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:     s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Slacey

Just as a side note Buster, mine have arrived from wherever it was that you sent me the link for (after much hassle), or at least they will when I go to the parcel depot and pick them up!

Anonymous

what you had agro from ray-smith ???? tell me what happend?

Slacey

Basically, I ordered through the website, and one of the early options was to ask if the delivery address is different from the invoice address - so I clicked 'yes'. After then going through the whole order procedure, it gave me a reference number but at no point asked for the alternative delivery address!
I e-mailed them with my address in Telford with a note about the above.
They then called me first thing on Monday morning querying this, asking for ID at the Telford address (which I don't have, it's my GF's place), after a bit of a discussion, I said sod it then, send it to my billing (mom's in Birmingham) address.... which they then demanded to see ID for!!   s:? :? s:?  
As it happens, I had a solicitors letter at work with me with the B'ham address on it, I had to fax that to them and on checking my mail that evening had a note to say the order had been processed. What a complete ball ache!
Still, as I said, they are with the parcel people, so it's sorted now.

Anonymous

Sorry to here about the problems but i have ordered several times (about 13) and never had a probelm,

Trust you Slacey to confuse them LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"Sorry to here about the problems but i have ordered several times (about 13) and never had a probelm
I knew they would be OK if you recommended them, I'm sure you wouldn't want to tarnish your reputation on this board!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Quote from: "Buster"Trust you Slacey to confuse them LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Hey, it's what I'm good at!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: