Car Colours & Paint Codes

Started by roger, July 15, 2008, 12:44

roger

Not having much to do, I thought this might be useful. Couldn't find anything similar, but shout if I have missed it.

A couple of people have recently asked the name of their colour. Strictly speaking the name means nothing, its the CODE that is important, and that can be found on the plate on the Nearside Door Jam (post03), Engine Bay (pre03), I believe. However unless you buy from Toyota (certainly recommended), the likes of Halfords sell by name.

The following is a list of US colours against the relevant codes I picked up from the Spoiler Depot Site. You can see name changes whereas codes don't. Not sure if that would be Spoiler Depot or Toyota. Some of course may not be relevant to UK, as are some dates.

If anybody can add different names to a colour code (Toyota, Halfords or whatever) post the code, supplier / manufacturer and the paint name and I'll add it to the lists.

ORIGINAL
code..........2000................. 2001.......................2002
040........Super White...........Super White.............Super White
1D0........Liquid Silver Metal...Liquid Silver Metal......Liquid Silver Metal
202........Black....................Black.......................Black
3P0........Super Red.............Super Red V..............Absolutely Red
............Chilli Red (UK).........Chilli Red (UK)............Chilli Red (UK)
576.......Super Bright Yellow...Super Bright Yellow.....Solar Yellow
6R4.......N/a.......................Dark Green Pearl (UK).N/a   .................There are some doubts about green shades
6R3/6S1.N/a.......................N/a........................Electric Green Mica  please check your plate before ordering
....................................................................Island Green/Green Pearl (UK)
8M6......Spectra Blue Mica......Spectra Blue Mica......Spectra Blue Mica

FACELIFT
code....... 2003....................2004.......................2005
040.........Super White...........Super White.............Super White
1E3.........N/a......................N/a........................Phantom Gray Pearl
.............Sable (UK)..............Sable (UK)................Sable (UK)
1E7.........Silver Streak Mica.....Silver Streak Mica......Silver Streak Mica
.............Crystal Silver (UK).....Crystal Silver (UK).......Crystal Silver (UK)
202.........Black.................... Black...................... Black
3P0.........Absolutely Red.......Absolutely Red...........Absolutely Red
.............Chilli Red (UK)........Chilli Red (UK)............Chilli Red (UK)
576.........Solar Yellow...........Solar Yellow...............Solar Yellow
6R3/6S1...Electric Green Mica..Electric Green Mica.....Electric Green Mica ....(see above about codes)
.............Island Green (UK)....Island Green (UK)........Island Green (UK)
8M6........Spectra Blue Mica...Spectra Blue Mica........Spectra Blue Mica
8R2........Paradise Blue Metal..Paradise Blue Metal.....Paradise Blue Metal
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Brizee67

Use this...it's much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuC

Quote from: Brizee67 on December 26, 2018, 18:55

Use this...it's much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is missing the mica green (bright) just FYI
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Gaz mr-s

And if anybody else googles this, .............the rest was tosh, so I've deleted it.   

Ardent

Forest green (dribble) = dark green

Bimmer-Bob

Paint code 6R4 is Electric Green Mica, also called Dark Green Mica. In the US, the MR2 Spyder dark green is called Electric Green Mica. I believe the name Dark Green Mica was also used in the US on other cars (by Lexus, at least).

The bright green is Island Green, which was not available in the US.

I think this is odd, because the Electric Green name is much better suited to the bright green. It makes me wonder if somewhere along the way a mistake was made, but if you look at US brochures, the dark green is definitely referred to as Electric Green Mica. Same if you plug my dark green car into the official Toyota VIN decoder. But if I order touch-up paint, the same code (6R4) calls out Dark Green Mica.

paulj

I've got a pfl sales brochure dated April 2000 which lists the green colour as Cape Green. It's a UK brochure - pdf if anyone wants a copy...
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

moredun

does this shine any more light on it ?

Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

Bimmer-Bob

Quote from: paulj on May 11, 2020, 11:52I've got a pfl sales brochure dated April 2000 which lists the green colour as Cape Green. It's a UK brochure - pdf if anyone wants a copy...

Thanks, I'd like to take a look at that, if it's not too much trouble to upload.

Quote from: shnazzle on May 11, 2020, 11:59Stupid idea maybe but.. Is it something that's at the whim of the regional marketing team?

No, not stupid at all, in fact I think it's exactly right. It's not that uncommon for car colors to have different names in different markets, and we've already seen it with other MR2s: e.g., Super Bright Yellow vs. Solar Yellow, Chili Red vs. Absolutely Red, Sable Grey vs. Phantom Gray.

Quote from: moredun on May 11, 2020, 12:17does this shine any more light on it ?

Not really; that just looks like a chart you  might find from an aftermarket supplier of touch-up paint, and I wouldn't trust their nomenclature as necessarily canonical.

Ardent

i have a Sable.
And our gov. vehicle registration dept. Call it Silver.

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on May 12, 2020, 18:48i have a Sable.
Now there's a funny one because "Sable" is entirely made up by '2 owners. That just doesn't exist anywhere. 

"Phantom Pearl Grey"
...neutiquam erro.

paulj

Happy to upload the pdf but don't know how to.

..... can I copy a pdf onto the site or is that something for a moderator??
Today
In the late 1980's

paulj

Today
In the late 1980's

deviantmr-s

I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

Call the midlife!

Dirty silver...🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

deviantmr-s

My previous sable stated silver on the v5, so I looked at the time and came across a brochure that seems to be before the name change pre 2004. It referred to the colour initially being called silver grey!

So assumed that is why it states silver on the v5.

Clear as mud lol..

I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

Ardent

Oi
Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 14, 2020, 00:34
Dirty silver...🤓
Oi!

shnazzle

Quote from: deviantmr-s on May 14, 2020, 00:19Sable exists and so does Island Green in the 2004 brochure, link below...

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ku2/mk3_facelift_brochure/MR2_MK3_UK_Facelift_Brochure_Aug_2004.pdf

Well I'll be damned! I never knew it was ever a proper color name. 

As @Ardent said yesterday, every day is a school day
...neutiquam erro.

Bimmer-Bob

Does anyone have a brochure depicting the dark green color? I guess it was only offered in certain model years (probably not the same years as the bright, almost-neon, green).

deviantmr-s

Quote from: Bimmer-Bob on May 14, 2020, 20:39Does anyone have a brochure depicting the dark green color? I guess it was only offered in certain model years (probably not the same years as the bright, almost-neon, green).

In the link above for the 2004 brochure.
;D

Bimmer-Bob

Quote from: deviantmr-s on May 14, 2020, 20:44
Quote from: Bimmer-Bob on May 14, 2020, 20:39Does anyone have a brochure depicting the dark green color? I guess it was only offered in certain model years (probably not the same years as the bright, almost-neon, green).

In the link above for the 2004 brochure.
;D

Well, now I'm more confused than ever. I saw that, but because it said "Island Green" I assumed it was referring to the bright green. The shade in the drawing itself is sort of in between the dark and bright greens, but I guess it is closer to the dark green. But it also has the paint code - 6R4 - so it's definitely the dark green. Why are there so many damn names for this color?!? (I've also seen "Racing Green," which I think is the best, as the first thing I thought of when I saw the color was British Racing Green).

So I guess the bright green is "Cape Green." And those are the only two greens you guys had: Cape and Island?

tom256

What is color code of internal paint for 1E7?
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

jvanzyl

Quote from: tom256 on September  3, 2020, 21:12What is color code of internal paint for 1E7?

Do you mean interior cabin or engine bay?

tom256

Quote from: jvanzyl on September  4, 2020, 06:30
Quote from: tom256 on September  3, 2020, 21:12What is color code of internal paint for 1E7?

Do you mean interior cabin or engine bay?

Yes!! I want to remove rust and paint car inside.
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

Carolyn

Guys- please don't use the reference section for more general discussions.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: