Q&A Engine modifications and performance gains for N/A 1ZZ

Started by Mad Matt, November 26, 2009, 16:26

Mad Matt

Hi E,

I see you got this result, in part from the 57i. I'm quite interested in that as it appears to avoid sucking hot air in. How did you find it?

Cheers,

Matt.

E

Ah a very good question but unfortunately I fear in the wrong place, if so could a mod please split it off.

The answer is that although the K&N 57i Gen2 comes with an extra heat shield it still suffers badly from Heat soak, initially when you really gunned it you could feel it pull back at the top end, in fact I lost about 9 mph from my top speed rolling road of course. this is the reason for the whole of my exhaust system being wrapped in thermal bandage to bring engine bay temps down, it works but costs abut £200+ to wrap the whole System.

Mad Matt

Thanks Ian.

Sorry, yes this probably was the wrong place   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]Postings have been removed at the request of the OP FGrob [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

rabscott2003

I have a 2001 1.8vvti MR-S with TDR Full body kit what kind of BHP does this have and how can i improve it?

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

FGrob

Quote from: "markiii"i think this is what you need

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/search.php
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Krissg

Sorry if I am being an idiot here but on the engine electronics, all who have made gains have used what I think are piggy back ecu's, am I right thinking this? And if so how does this work, and what kind of cost are you looking at? I have a custom exhaust and apexi induction so by looks of things new manifold, plugs and ecu with a map I can see some gains?? Thanks in advance.
2003 MR2 Red....watch this space!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

nathanMR2

You have 2 options-

A piggy back ECU (Emanage, Unichip) which connects to your stock ecu
A stand alone ECU (Apexi PFC, Link) which replaces the stock ecu completely

These can vary in price from £150ish-£850ish

Many of the Unichip ecu's available 2nd hand from members come with present maps which do a reasonable job so you can get away without remapping.

For best results all need to be mapped/remapped. Which can cost around £300

If you decide to go down this route make sure you have carried out all engine/exhaust/induction mods you want to as each time you change something you are likely to need to remap everything again which can work oout an expensive game
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Krissg

...also just to add, car is in garage tomorrow foe exhaust, is it worth getting the decat now? Iv read that you can suffer a mid range torque slump, is this quite noticeable and is it just a case of a map to rectify?? Thanks.
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

nathanMR2

A remap should help this. You could consider a sports cat which can be mot friendly too

PeteT

Quote from: "Krissg"...also just to add, car is in garage tomorrow foe exhaust, is it worth getting the decat now? Iv read that you can suffer a mid range torque slump, is this quite noticeable and is it just a case of a map to rectify?? Thanks.

I have a sports cat on mine and haven't noticed any torque slump. Which exhaust did you go for Kriss?
Pete

Krissg

Quote from: "nathanMR2"A remap should help this. You could consider a sports cat which can be mot friendly too

Cheers Nathan, well if I was to get the decat and a CHE manifold could I not just remap the stock ECU? Thanks again!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

nathanMR2

No mate will def need a piggy back

Krissg

Cheers nathan.
And I have a custom exhaust Pete, where did you get sports cat? Seem expensive online.
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

PeteT

Hi Kris, sorry I didn't see this reply. Mine cost £220 supplied and fitted from the same place that did my exhaust.
Pete

jam sarnie

Crikey,  I had a quote of £399 for a sports cat from Longlife,  looking at your quote the Longlife one seems a bit steep to say the least.  s:? :? s:?

Tech

Coming from an RX7 background of having an Apexi Power FC + Commander - how much are the Unichips?

And will they give good gains without initially mapping?

Anonymous

Unichip are ok for certain builds just be carefull as there are two types. Also if you get a used one it will have a map but with all piggy backs they really need to be mapped to your car. Performance gains depend on what mods.

SirCharles

Hello all!

This is my first post here!

I am trying to find an answer to a question and I think you guys could help me.
I've done some search and still no answer.

I would like to know if I could get around 180 hp, at the engine, with these mods:

- Weapon R intake
- Full PPE exhaust (cat or no cat, witch ever is best)
- Crower cams stage 3
- Titanium springs and retainer
- Stainless valves
- Power FC

Thanks for the help!

Charles

PRspyder

^^ not even in your dreams..
01 MR-S 25psi 403whp 317TQ GT3076,best pass yet 11.8@121
06 civic Si full k24a2 238whp 192tq DD

Anonymous

180 maybe a little high but might make 170bhp. If you do it let us know how you get on.

Anonymous

I think Toyota tried very hard with the VM180, which ended up with 155bhp.

A cheaper and more reliable route to 190 would probably be 2ZZ.

Wabbitkilla

Hello and welcome to the club.

It's been proved a couple of times you can reach 170bhp at the flywheel with an NA engine, 180bhp seems a bit out of reach and I doubt the cams will make that much of a difference. The only car I heard of reaching anywhere near that level was one equipped with ITB's (Individual Throttle Bodies), but I didn't see any proof of it in Dyno charts and the chap who did it has since disappeared off the face of the planet. Which is a pity as that's something I would like to try at some point (ITB's, not disappering - though I guess we all do that eventually).

Quote from: "SirCharles"Hello all!

This is my first post here!

I am trying to find an answer to a question and I think you guys could help me.
I've done some search and still no answer.

I would like to know if I could get around 180 hp, at the engine, with these mods:

- Weapon R intake
- Full PPE exhaust (cat or no cat, witch ever is best)
- Crower cams stage 3
- Titanium springs and retainer
- Stainless valves
- Power FC

Thanks for the help!

Charles
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

the VM180 has more than 138bhp?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: