Rotrex 2zz Roadster - J03's Silver Shed

Started by J03, March 4, 2015, 16:54

greybeardgt

Hey JO3 mister T ought to buy this back of you 3o-40k ? certain none left the factory this good! your our Hero!  PS did you do all that on ALDI mince pies? I have eaten two boxes of them and only checked me tyre pressures cheers greybeardgt

lamcote

Hi, looking amazing, well done.

Can I ask where you got those tall mounts for the gear lever cage? They look like a good idea.

Also, presumably you have had the steering rack off recently, can you confirm whether its standard mounting points have any rubber in or is it mounted completely rigidly?

Thanks
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

J03

I had the bushes machined up a few year back for my Celica. The shifter has a modified pivot point, so that the throw is exactly the same with the extension fitted as a normal short shift. So the mahoosive bushes are needed for clearance.

The rack has solid collars, where the bolts sit, these are surrounded by rubber. Shouldn't be too hard to have alu inserts made, but other things have taken priority recently. Something to look at eventually  s:) :) s:)

Greybeard - the money is in the parts, the shell is far too diy to warrant any value! Cheers though. If/when I get rid, it'll ultimately be broken for parts rather than sold as a whole.
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

lamcote

Thanks

Topdownman

Coming along nicely.

As someone who runs a shortshift kit topped with a 3" extension and a 5" gearknob, your set up looks perfectly normal to me!

When do you think it will be finished?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

J03

I want it to be tuned & on the road for next summer, really desperate to have that 2zz Rotrex insanity back in my life now!

If you change the pivot point on your short shift kit & fit higher bushes, it reduces the throw   s:) :) s:)   The ball joint is only held in by a grub screw. I can't remember the measurements off top of my head, but can measure up if needed.

lamcote

Hi, sorry to bother you again but is there any chance you could take a measurement between the centres of the two front inboard mount points for the front suspension wishbones. It's impossible to get an accurate measurement once all the bits and pieces are installed on the car so your bare chassis should be a good opportunity?

Thanks

J03

Hey no bother, best to ask whilst it's still bare. I won't get chance until either Friday morning or Saturday failing that.

Are you talking about the mounting point next to the arb mounting or the one closer to the steering rack?

lamcote

Great thanks.
It's the one nearest to the steering rack really, both might be useful though, thanks again.

J03

Quote from: "lamcote"Great thanks.
It's the one nearest to the steering rack really, both might be useful though, thanks again.

Right, apologies for the delay! The inner bulkhead centres are 868mm & the steering rack end centres are 733mm   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

lamcote

Brilliant, thanks very much.

Stevebratt

a really interesting read, i read though the whole thread so thanks for going back and fixing those photobucket images.

are you looking to track day this car or is it for a bit of summer road fun?

im hoping to buy one for track use in early 2018 so has been a really interesting thread reading what mods youve gone for.

BahnStormer

absolutely awesome: I'd have to buy a 2nd MR2 (3rd car) to do this - I don't think I'd have the patience! (let alone not having the skill + space!)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

J03

Cheers chaps & seriously there's no skill here, it's purely just having a crack & seeing what happens. The '2 is a bit of a test bed to building a kit car some day.

Don't really dig the whole trackday thing, so it's purely going to be a fine weather flyer  s:) :) s:)

BahnStormer

Quote from: "J03"Don't really dig the whole trackday thing, so it's purely going to be a fine weather flyer  s:) :) s:)

*SOB SOB*

I'd want it made for the road (don't strip it entirely, don't set the suspension rock hard, etc), but keep an eye on the track as a roll cage is pretty much the only thing that (even a stock) MR2 needs to make it good for the odd few laps...

I'm thinking roll cage, braided lines and better pads... then start trying it out?

I'd probably want to switch mine back to stock and then upgrade a 2nd car for trackdays though. i.e. buy one on the cheap where I haven't paid a slight premium for the AC, heated leather seats, etc as it needs non-leather / decent buckets for track days and the AC will probably have to go with the s'charger.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Stevebratt

I'm the same Bahn, I already a have a summer fun machine, but no skill to handle it (its silly fast), I've decided id like to gain some skill and a track car is the best way forward. My plan is to get one as cheap as I can that isnt a complete pile of poo, do a full service on it, then stick it on the track and see how it goes. Eventually ill change the suspension, strip it out, roll cage, etc, and when the time comes, we will see if i do a turbo 2zz conversion or look to get something more race car specific. depending on budget. of course the other possibility is that i dont enjoy track driving and sell it, we will see. Mr2 to me seems like the cheapest way to have a true mid engine sports car which is relatively cheap to maintain. all the fun of a lotus or a porsche but a 10th of the cost. even after an engine conversion and doing a load of mods. saw a red MR2 with 105k and in decent shape go for £650 on ebay last week. cheapest boxter was 5k. 4k on an engine to the mr2 will give you a much quicker car than the boxter stock and all your parts are way cheaper to replace. seems like a no brainier.

J03

I think the first port of call for me, before I have the confidence to properly wring her neck, will be some skid pan time.

Stevebratt

I actually was super close to doing a drift course
3 hours in the car 4 hour course it was £350ish i think , but i figured that woudl be better saved to actually buy the car instead

J03

Hey I'm a tight Yorkshireman, was more thinking a sodden Aldi car park after hours   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Stevebratt

Quote from: "J03"Hey I'm a tight Yorkshireman, was more thinking a sodden Aldi car park after hours   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

lol!

tomaky

Have you not finished this yet? Tehe
Looks to be going very well.
Westfield Seiw
2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

J03

Keeping things updated.

The whole underside & arches are now undersealed with Billt Hamber Dynax. T'was a pain but all done & on to better things.

Nice big delivery of nuts & bolts from Amayama, picked up a TRD kit  8) More brake & clutch line routing, lots of re-tapping of threads etc, demister mock up, hard top bracket fettling & generally rebuilding the front end.

StuC

@J03 Have to applaud your attention to detail here. Really clean build. :-)

What are your thoughts with your demister?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

Searching for the "Wow" button to click!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

J03

Cheers chaps  :)

Idea for the demist is borrowed from a track car on here, sorry cannae remember the member  :-[  Only difference is that the inline blower fan is smaller & will be mounted inside. It should simply just pipe warmer air from the rad area into the windscreen vent.

I'm actually considering ditching the dash altogether, so may have to get quite creative with the wiring.

Tags: