Martin's 2001 PFL Roadster

Started by MartinC, September 20, 2015, 21:45

MartinC

Martin's 2001 Roadster

I purchased my Roadster back in June 2014.  A Black 2001 PFL, with 90,000(ish) on the clock, and a full up to date service book.  This is what she looked like when I bought her.

Soon after buying her I joined here, and started reading about some possible horror stories with oil usage, PreCats and rear subframes.  So decided to get mine into Banzai in Weston-Super-Mare, to have the subframe swapped, as it was looking a bit rotten, and the stock manifold swapped for a stainless item.  My PreCats were still there and all intact (phew!).  Whilst in there, I also had all the rear bushes swapped for poly ones, as they were off anyway.

What looks like rust bubbling is actually copious amounts of Wax Oil on the subframe.

After treating her to some new parts under the skin, I decided to give her a bit of a spruce up on the outside.  Full wash and wax, followed by a headlight polish, with Maguires, and new Badge.  :-) :-) :-)

And a secondhand set of OEM wheels which I had stripped and powder coated, shod with Toyo T1Rs all round.

So now bitten by the bug of these wonderful little cars, I decided to start doing a few mods and upgrades.

First on the list were some red leather seats, door cards and arm rest.

IMAGE TO FOLLOW!!!!!

Then a new stereo and aerial.  Electric one had long gone by a previous owner, replaced with a cheap halfrauds item. The fit was poor and the finish was cheap.  So I got a pretty good quality pattern item from the USA.

Next up, Front and Rear strut braces.  Not that I am a particularly fast driver, or drive constantly on the ragged edge, I just like the look of them.

Picked up a red hardtop cheap (sub £200).

It's now been resprayed textured black.

Got some boxing gloves to cover hardtop brackets.

All loaded up and ready for some days away.

Most recently:-
Full oil and filter change
Replaced gearbox oil with MT90 (Made a world of difference to noise and operation of gearbox).

That's it for now, more to follow.

Martin.
Martin

Readers ride :- Martin's 2001 Roadster

shnazzle

Those seats look like they're in a lovely state. It totally seems like the leather used in the pre-fl seats was much sturdier.
My 52 plate Roadster had red leather as well and it was pristine the day I sold it.
My facelift leather seats don't look anywhere near as good already!
...neutiquam erro.

s12vea

Very nice. Black and red combo really suits the roadster
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

MartinC

Quote from: "shnazzle"Those seats look like they're in a lovely state. It totally seems like the leather used in the pre-fl seats was much sturdier.
My 52 plate Roadster had red leather as well and it was pristine the day I sold it.
My facelift leather seats don't look anywhere near as good already!
Generally the seats are in a good state.  Drivers seat has started to go on the bolster, but I should be able to rescue it.
Quote from: "s12vea"Very nice. Black and red combo really suits the roadster
Thanks.  I think so too.  I do like green though.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Martin

MartinC

Got a spoiler off of a guy who bought it on ebay for £5. Over 30cm too long.

It looks a little different, with the 30cm and the centre post cut out.

Got a little more work to do, fettling it, then paint.  It has got two very handy bolt holes, so no issue securing it to the boot lid when done.  Not sure what car it came from though.
Martin

CrazySX

Nice car bud, and liking the spoiler! How on earth did u cut it and then put it back together maintaining strength?

MartinC

Thanks.  It's made from a dense foam material, cuts easily with hacksaw.  I drilled three perfectly aligned holes about 6 inches deep in each piece, and epoxy resined 12 inch long threaded bar.  It is probably stronger now in the centre than the outer parts.    s:D :D s:D
Martin

StuC

Stop lamp feature is looking good.  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

MartinC

Quote from: "StuC"Stop lamp feature is looking good.  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Funny you should say that.  Was just looking on 'the Bay' for a suitable stop lamp to either embed into the edge or attach underneath.    s8) 8) s8)
Martin

StuC

Does it block the lamp then?

MartinC

Not directly, but I'm not sure if it has to be visible only directly, or from a certain angle also  ???   s:? :? s:?
Martin

StuC

If the stock lamp sits below the spoiler in terms of distance from the ground, then it might be an issue. Thinking that the back of the 2 is relatively low and most people are in cars that are higher.
In which case your idea of a lamp in the spoiler becomes almost necessary to avoid a rear end party.

MartinC

Thanks for the advice.  s:) :) s:)    I'll take a look from behind the wheel of the wife's Focus, and my Grand Vitara, and see what it's like.
Martin

StuC

It's worth doing it at different distances too, for my money. Perhaps you can follow her and make the call for yourself at different distances.
Doesn't have to be a full stop, a light press on the pedal will suffice to light up.

MartinC

Spoiler in place.  Not completely happy with the finish, but I'm quite pleased with the look.  The centre brake light still sits slightly higher than the spoiler, so no additional light required.   s:) :) s:)  

Martin

CrazySX

Quote from: "mxcum167"Thanks.  It's made from a dense foam material, cuts easily with hacksaw.  I drilled three perfectly aligned holes about 6 inches deep in each piece, and epoxy resined 12 inch long threaded bar.  It is probably stronger now in the centre than the outer parts.    s:D :D s:D
I thought about it after and that's exactly how I would have done it. Or even just metal rod! Good work bud. I like it when people get their hands dirty and fabricate things.  You know nobody will have the same. Now that is true customisation  s;) ;) s;)

MartinC

Another picture.
Martin

MartinC

Messing around with Photoshop.  s8) 8) s8)  
Martin

Wabbitkilla

I actually rather like the spoiler. Subtle
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MartinC

I know these things aren't to everyones taste, but I like them.
 s8) 8) s8)  

Martin

CrazySX

Looks like you have the rest of the shine you bits, so why not  s;) ;) s;)

MartinC

Got some new embossed number plates, and surrounds.  Added a little bit of eBay TRD stickerage, et voila.....

Martin

MartinC

I used this stuff on the door rubbers a few days ago.  It hasn't leaked since.  Didn't think it would work, but it did.    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Martin

MartinC

Fitted clocks with Plasma Glow dials, that I purchased from StuC.

On:-

Off
Martin

MartinC

Got the heater dials as well now.

Martin

Tags: