New Dash Cam with GPS

Started by mulaz, January 3, 2017, 21:00

mulaz

Got myself a new Dash cam with GPS using xmas gift tokens from the son at halfrauds.
i managed to get a Nextbase  402g for £50 instead of a retail price of £120!https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dashcams/in-car-cam-402g-professional/

It was in the bargain bucket as it was missing the windscreen mount,This didn't bother me as i wouldn't have used it anyway rather make my own low profile windscreen support as i did on my previous cam.
I have really enjoyed our club drives out but many times wished i knew where i had been afterwards?
with this i will be able to as it comes with software that tracks your drive and displays this a moving map[attachment=0:3bgg7geg] ia0 2017-01-03.png ia0 [/attachment:3bgg7geg]
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

greybeardgt

Hi Mulaz  glad your pleased with your dash cam treated myself to Lidl 29.99 dash cam bit basic not like yours but wow stuck a SD 16gb micro card in set it to continue and went into the Welsh hills Boxing day morning fantastic now I sit with my laptop and sound wound up magic! greybeardgt  a Blue 2

mulaz

Have a one similar to yours now fitted in the wife 2
They are great value and now also can give discount on your insurance policy
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

jvanzyl

Out of interest folks - how are you running power to these things?
I'm assuming that the power lead they supply is long enough and that you running it up the A-pillar and our by the light dome?

I'm tempted to get one just to capture some of life's ridiculous/amusing elements (probably won't help with letting go of frustrations with drivers maybe....)

mulaz

From a usb 5v cig socket feed the usb cable behind glove box up passenger side window trim across front windscreen trim then out of interior light to the dash camera  window mount
It's a fiddly job but worth it for a neat install

better if you can power the camera from a ignition live feed using a suitable 12v to 5v adaptor instead of  using the the cig lighter socket

i also made a custom metal bracket stuck on with strong double sided sticky pads so i could hide the camera behind the rear view mirror instead of the big ugly suction mount

Fin

I realise that we all drive legally at all times, and never consider breaking any speed limits, but remember that the GPS models can be used to record/calculate your speed in the event of a mishap.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Bossworld

Quote from: "mulaz"From a usb 5v cig socket feed the usb cable behind glove box up passenger side window trim across front windscreen trim then out of interior light to the dash camera  window mount

better if you can power the camera from a ignition live feed using a suitable 12v to 5v adaptor instead of  using the the cig lighter socket

i also made a custom metal bracket stuck on with strong double sided sticky pads so i could hide the camera behind the rear view mirror instead of the big ugly suction mount

Were you able to fully tuck the cable behind the top trim? I've just got a cheap cam for the '2 and finding it difficult to tuck the cable into the trim near the roof catch (just that couple of inches either side).

Working on a similar principle to you but going to have to go down the driver's side, as I've got a DAB aerial on the passenger one already.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Bossworld"
Quote from: "mulaz"From a usb 5v cig socket feed the usb cable behind glove box up passenger side window trim across front windscreen trim then out of interior light to the dash camera  window mount

Were you able to fully tuck the cable behind the top trim? I've just got a cheap cam for the '2 and finding it difficult to tuck the cable into the trim near the roof catch (just that couple of inches either side).

Working on a similar principle to you but going to have to go down the driver's side, as I've got a DAB aerial on the passenger one already.
I hardwired my dash cam in and I can't get the cable under the top screen trim either, not without bullying it and risking a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

mulaz

The top trim plastic trim around the roof catches are a bitch but can be removed without removing the catches you may break a hidden clip but it cannot be seen when you force the plastic back into position

Bossworld

Thanks both

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Bossworld"Thanks both
+1 on that, also I mounted mine in a similar position to you, bearing in mind the legal side of it that you're not supposed to be able to see it from the driver's seat etc. But it's quick release so I have to move the mirror everytime I refit it just to be sure it's actually viewing the road ahead and I can't see the "protect clip" button...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

This was me in the end, it's totally out of sight as the mirror body covers it

Tags: