Keyless push start system - installation guide and support

Started by rokz_2005, August 13, 2017, 23:20

rokz_2005

Hey all,

Bought this cheap kit from ebay which allows me to install a keyless push start button on the car.

I thought I'd share this post as as I have not found anything similar on the net and may help out someone who wants to do tha same in the future, also help me with the install, if I should go wrong.

m https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162588148680 m  

Had a hard time finding a ignition loom wiring diagram and the closest I came to it was  m http://www.alarmsellout.com/support/dia ... 0-2005.pdf m

It seems to bbe good enough.

Day one. Take out the under dash covers. Had to take the lower steering unit cover also.

isplit each wire into 2 sections and attached connecting terminals to them, as this is the first time I am doing this and if something goes wrong. I jus have to disconnect them or if I accidently connect the wrong wires it'l be easier to fix or I might want to update this system later to keyless entry.

m https://www.flickr.com/photos/135555202 ... res/066875 m

Day 2 update will come by the end of next week unless I get some time during the day.

rokz_2005

Good thing about the kit is it acts like a manufacturers push start where if you press the button then the accesorys come on. If you hold the brake and you press the button then the engine starts.

A small problem ive come across is the steering lock. Is it easy to disable that?  I dont want to use the key as well as the button and I dont fancy leaving a key in ignition...

SteveJ

May I suggest you speak to your insurance company before disabling the steering lock - I'm pretty sure they'll void your policy!

Also is your car an MR-S or a UK car? If UK what are you doing about the immobiliser which relies on reading a transponder embedded in the body of the key?

The biggest alarm-bell to this product would be the use of "off-road" in the title - they clearly know that fitting it is going to screw-up any insurance cover on a vehicle.

Caveat Emptor!

rokz_2005

Quote from: "SteveJ"May I suggest you speak to your insurance company before disabling the steering lock - I'm pretty sure they'll void your policy!

Also is your car an MR-S or a UK car? If UK what are you doing about the immobiliser which relies on reading a transponder embedded in the body of the key?

The biggest alarm-bell to this product would be the use of "off-road" in the title - they clearly know that fitting it is going to screw-up any insurance cover on a vehicle.

Caveat Emptor!

Good points. Immobiler works as normal. This kit has additional security.. RF id tag. And without that, the kit wont work.
Re the steering lock: I guess i'll keep it on as it is for now. See if I can find a motor to open/lock emectronically and wire it up to the accessory wire.

SteveJ

If the immobiliser works as normal you'll need the key in the lock barrel anyway so don't need to defeat the steering lock.

rokz_2005

Maaan   s:( :( s:(  ..Let's see how it comes out.

rokz_2005

Day two update. Decided to place the button on the left side of the steering column. Currently has two blanking plates. I removed them, cut out part of the centre section to feed wire through.
I got a bit of plastic and cut it ot the same shape as that section and placed over it for smooth look. Super glued/hot glued it from the back. Il take some pics when its on the car.

Additional images
 m https://www.flickr.com/photos/135555202 ... res/M599cs m

rokz_2005

Quote from: "SteveJ"May I suggest you speak to your insurance company before disabling the steering lock - I'm pretty sure they'll void your policy!

Caveat Emptor!

Also in the title, i think they meant to write for 'cars or off roaders..'

Say I disable the lock, would the immobiliser not work? Does the key have to be in the barrel for the immobiliser to send/receive signal?

SteveJ

The term off-road is akin to the phrase 'for display and exhibition use only' indicating it's not approved for highway use (i.e. Insurance companies won't be too impressed)

The transceiver coil for the stock immobiliser is located around the lock barrel and surrounds the remote section of the key to read the RFID chip whilst the key is in the lock.

m1tch

So you are basically putting an unshielded direct set of wires to the starter motor to start the car on the dashboard?

SteveJ

Quote from: "m1tch"So you are basically putting an unshielded direct set of wires to the starter motor to start the car on the dashboard?

Did you look at the kit on the link he posted? The control unit is remote from the start button and besides what wires do you think there are at the base of the lock barrel anyway?

rokz_2005

Day 4 - update.

Ok so the kit i put up a link of previously was incorrect. This is the kit I bought  m https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282585876787 m  

This should answer m1tch - the kit has its own rfid sender/receiver. Before starting the car the tag has be 'swiped'. To make this extra step easy one would install the receiver under the cup holder between the seats so when you get into the car and put your keys there for storage it doubles up as swiping it.

So today I connected all of the wires and tried the system on. Not sure what went wrong but the orginal ignition system and this kit seemed to be conflicting somewhere. I haven't been able to test it out properly. Going to try it tomorrow, hopefully apply a fix and put up some more pics and videos.

One thing for sure, i've got to find a way for the car to read the immoboliser from a different location as  I am aiming to use the keyless system in full .. somehow

m https://www.flickr.com/photos/135555202 ... res/Ah86YC m

rokz_2005

Day 5 - having some problems.

I had moved the receiver coil to a different location and the car just cranked. I then used my spare key to scan and the car started. This was usng the key only.

It looks like the kit don't work unless I have the key in the barrel with the key turned to acc.
If i try the kit alone, it just cranks.
I remived the ignition harness but kept the transponder receiver harness on but this did not work. Something appears to be telling the transponder receiver that a key is present and for it to start scanning which stops working when the ignition harness is removed.

Anyone know how I can activate the transponder read without having the ignition cable plugged in? I can connect up some of the wires up to wherever it needs to go but I just want to removed the use of the key all together..

rokz_2005

Tags: