Security on the MR2 - what's recommended?

Started by Bodgeroo, September 7, 2017, 16:40

Bodgeroo

As the car is 10 + years old I am thinking that the security on the Mr2 is poor and could do with an upgrade to keep it out of the hands of the scumbags of this world.

I am not really I interested in a new alarm that people can ignore or can drive me up the wall.

So what physical security items do people recommend? It's been a while since I last fitted something like this back in the 80's  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Sian

I keep mine on the road in a not great area.  First thing was to get a hardtop, I refused to have it outside the house without one.  It'd be so easy for chavs to just slice the soft-top for fun.  

I then got a Stoplock steering lock but to be perfectly honest I don't think I should have bothered.  At best it'll be a visual deterrent.  If someone really wanted to nick it that wouldn't get in their way.  Plus it's bulky and heavy and as there's so little space in the MR2 it's a pain trying to put it somewhere inside when you actually want to drive - and have a passenger!  

I don't keep the aftermarket cd player or sat-nav (or holder) in when it's parked.  

I want to do the tyre flip / alarm move mod as it's so quiet when it does go off.  I've not got around to it yet as I've only just got the car and been focusing on other things!

There's not a fat lot you can do I don't think other than the hardtop.  With the stock immobiliser they're not that easy to nick in the first place, unless they get hold of the keys!  To be honest I know we like the cars but I don't think too many people bat an eyelid at them.  Like you say, even the newest ones are 10+ years old now.

The Other Stu

I don't think the security is bad at all. It has a decent immobiliser on it and it's rare to have UK Models thieved (I'm not entirely sure imports have as good security).
The obvious one is always a cut-off switch that's hidden.

Also, do the alarm/frunk mod. If the alarm does go off, it'll make their ears bleed even if everyone else ignores it.
No Longer Here

wotugonado

If mine were on the road and I was worried about it being nicked I'd have a nice aftermarket steering wheel with quick release boss. Can't take a car with no steering wheel
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

shnazzle

Stock immobiliser is spot on.
There's a reason not many of these have been stolen.
You need to break in without the very sensitive interior alarm going off. Then you need to somehow take out the passenger bins.
Then you need to know you need a 5-point security torx bit of the right size to remove the security plate for the ecu so that you can unplug the wiring.
Then you need to plug in another ecu you have brought along with matching programmed key.
Only then are you off.

You know what... That'll do me.
Bigger worry is thieving from the Interior and ripping your roof to do it,and making it a catC
...neutiquam erro.

Bodgeroo

Sounds fairly difficult then. That's reassuring!

Tags: