Another win by Steve
September 11, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
Just got back from collecting Banana from Steve.

She was very poorly and letting in water quicker than a sieve. The cabin would get saturated after a heavy downpour. Driving would often have sloshing of water in the foot wells after rain. The bins were almost totally dry and I had checked the drains were working properly. So the likely suspect was faulty body seals.
Steve has had Banana whilst we went on holiday, as I use her as a daily driver.
Problem was quickly diagnosed as a faulty hood bag drain pipe, which was then filling the space under the bins!! Which is not dissimilar to the 'hood drain bag pipers' from bonny Scotland!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Anyhoo, Steve offered a low cost solution to fix the vulcanised joint, but then I decided it was time for a new hood. To compliment my new carpet and nvh panels, which were minging.

Kudos to Dean from Rutland, for the hood he offered. Absolute minter!! Cheers.

Steve then grafted,, like only he does, to put Banana back together!! I sliding paying attention to the electrics that had been near the water, to avoid future problems. It's that attention to detail that I love about him.

Thanks very much Steve. I don't know what I'd do without you!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by StuC »
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

• North Ayrshire
    • Reader's Ride: My Silver '06
Re: Another win by Steve
September 11, 2017, 10:30:29 PM »
That must've been a tricky find Stu. Is the drain bag an integral part of the hood? (did you have to replace the whole hood, or is the drain bag a detachable component?) Hoots man! Aye, "The water is wide" indeed (sorry, couldn't resist  s:D :D s:D  )
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

'06 Silver FL - Paradise Blend (stock 1ZZ, -precats, +Tein S. Tech Springs / KYB shocks / blitz lm panel filter)

September 11, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »
I have the part in my bins. I'll try and take a piccy tomorrow in the light.

September 12, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
Quote from: "delhusband"
That must've been a tricky find Stu. Is the drain bag an integral part of the hood? (did you have to replace the whole hood, or is the drain bag a detachable component?) Hoots man! Aye, "The water is wide" indeed (sorry, couldn't resist  s:D :D s:D  )
The drain bag is a separate part which is velcroed to the hood. Jane's (chilligirl) car had the drains come unbonded from the bag so we repaired it with vinyl glue and silicone (should have used sikaflex/tiger seal but didn't have any at the time).
In order to get the bag out the roof has to come off hence why a breaker would want to sell them as a complete unit.

• Colchester
September 12, 2017, 08:31:57 AM »
Well done steve

Another ucc back on the road and ready for a dry winter
6R4 Forest Green TTE Turbo
576 Sahara Yellow + Hardtop

**** Boosting around Colchester  ****

My MR2's .... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41408&p=487898#
Project Greeny  ---- [url=http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=

• North Ayrshire
September 12, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
Quote from: "SteveJ"
The drain bag is a separate part which is velcroed to the hood. Jane's (chilligirl) car had the drains come unbonded from the bag so we repaired it with vinyl glue and silicone (should have used sikaflex/tiger seal but didn't have any at the time).
In order to get the bag out the roof has to come off hence why a breaker would want to sell them as a complete unit.
Cheers Steve. Wouldn't have known where to look if this had happened to me. Cleared a blocked drain before, never considered drain hole could de-bond from surround.

'06 Silver FL - Paradise Blend (stock 1ZZ, -precats, +Tein S. Tech Springs / KYB shocks / blitz lm panel filter)

September 12, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »
Cheers Steve. Wouldn't have known where to look if this had happened to me. Cleared a blocked drain before, never considered drain hole could de-bond from surround.

There's a number of joints on the hood / drain bag that are ultrasonic welded and on Jane's several of them weren't particularly good so there may have been a few hoods that left the factory with problems waiting to happen.

Another win by Steve
September 12, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
Just to back up Steve's knowledgeable post...

Some pics of the bag on its own.
Looking from the rear of the car.

From the underside

Upside down from the outside

• Salisbury
September 13, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
And I'm very pleased to say that Foxy is remaining dry even after last nights torrential rain and wind.  This is all thanks to SteveJ.  Yippee!    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

• North Ayrshire
September 13, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
Quote from: "StuC"
Just to back up Steve's knowledgeable post...
Cheers Stu / Steve for photos & info.