Auto roll up window module

Started by FuZZy_gr, September 18, 2017, 22:37

FuZZy_gr

Hello guys I have bought an auto roll up window module that gets triggered by locking the car and rolls up both windows. I have managed to make it roll passengers side but rolling drivers side is not possible. Has anybody done it before? Drivers switch is different that passengers.

StuC

It might be because of the auto down function already on the drivers door. This function goes through the body control module, whereas the passenger one doesn't.

Not sure how to overcome this though.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

FuZZy_gr

I will wire it just before the motor at the door and see if this works.

FuZZy_gr

Ok shorted out. You need to wire the module just before the window motors not after the switches. I can provide info how to install one if anybody wants to.

smarty72

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"Ok shorted out. You need to wire the module just before the window motors not after the switches. I can provide info how to install one if anybody wants to.

"Shorted out".  Unfortunate (and slightly worrying) typo for a thread concerning electrical modifications [emoji23]
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

FuZZy_gr

Hahahaha thats funny! Didnt think it that way

spit

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"Ok shorted(sic) out. You need to wire the module just before the window motors not after the switches. I can provide info how to install one if anybody wants to.

A write up would be really handy if you have time. This is a topic that has been discussed loads. To my knowledge no-one has found a workable fix in the last 15 years!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Fin

I've had one of these gizmos sitting on the shelf for ages. A how to would be great!
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

StuC

Just out of interest fuzzy. Does your module also allow you to drop the windows too?
On our Audi we can do both up and down.

FuZZy_gr

Ok I can make a guide for installing one. It can roll down too but you will need a module for roll up and another for roll down. I bought one for roll up only.

Fin

The module I have is designed to roll the windows up when you lock the car, is that the same as yours?
If so, I'd love to see how you connected it etc.

StuC

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"Ok I can make a guide for installing one. It can roll down too but you will need a module for roll up and another for roll down. I bought one for roll up only.

Prolly just easier to use the switches at this point!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "Fin"The module I have is designed to roll the windows up when you lock the car, is that the same as yours?
If so, I'd love to see how you connected it etc.

Yep thats the same I ll post some pics at the end of the week for you. The hardest part was finding the lock signal under the dashboard.

Fin

Lovely! I've been meaning to fit it for ages. Saves having to turn the ignition back on when I forget to shut the windows, or when I've put the roof back up  s:D :D s:D

FuZZy_gr

Ok found some time to write up a how to for you guys out there that want to install it. So here it goes.

First of all you need an auto window roll up module that has a 12 volt trigger. I bought this type of module:

m https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Power-Win ... SwAr9ZhE2X m

You can select if you want to trigger it with 12 volt or ground.

Here is its wiring manual(a bit low resolution but i ll explain):

So the story is:
1) You need to cut the wires going into the window motors of our cars and drive them into the module and back from the module to the window motors so the module can use them when the car locks and be able to use the window switches when you need to.

2) Find somewhere to get a 12 volt signal when you lock the car so the module knows when you lock the car.

3) Find an ACC wire because the module dont work when you have the key in ignition and power to the module (12V and Ground).

Lets Go!

----1-----

---Passenger side---
The passenger task is easier because you dont need to run wires from the door to the module like driver side needs. You can cut the wires from the switch cable at the center console:

Remove the plug from the passenger switch and cut the middle red wire shown in photo. Connect the wire coming from the car to the modules yellow with white stripe wire and the switch side wire to the White wire of the module. We intercept the module to the switch. Thats all the job here.

---Driver side---
Drivers side is tricky because its goes trough the body ECU before the window motor so the easiest job is to add 2 wires that go from the window motor to the module ( one going and one coming).

Remove the door card and cut the window motor wire shown in photo.

The hard part here for ones that havent gone through that job again is to pass the 2 additional wires through the doors harness into the car. I havent got photos of that process but i can add some if needed.
When you get the wires going from the door to the module connect the red wire from the window motor as shown above(window motor plug side red wire to Yellow with green stripe at the module and other side of red wire to the Yellow wire of the module).

------2------
So now in order to trigger the module and start its operation you need to input it with a signal either 12 V or Ground in this type of module (we need 12 V signal since our car works this way) .
I found the easiest way to take the signal from the passengers side footwell where the cables go through the well to the door. Its the signal that locks the passenger door lock. Consider here that I live in greece and my car is left hand.

The wire we need to "steal" the signal is the blue with red stripe. We doesnt cut that wire we just need to strip its insulation a bit and get a wire that connects to the orange wire of the module we have.

------3------
 Now the ACC , +12V and ground can be found from the radio harness behind the radio unit ( ACC is brown on module, 12 V is red and Ground is black as shown in its wiring on 1st photo). Again i dont have info on that supposing you know basic car wiring but can help if someone needs.

Lastly plug the red/black wire of the module into the red wire that has a plug on the module too as shown in its wiring manual.( Thats the modules 12V or Ground trigger setting)

I have read somewhere that people are afraid to put it on their cars because there said to be people that found their cars with rolled down windows because of those modules. I dont think that it is possible because it only gives +12 V and cant reverse the motor and make it roll down whatever it happens. It may be possible to happen though if you use a single module for roll up and down. You can use another module to make the windows roll down if its needed. Also wire colors of the module may vary but you can relate with this modules wiring manual.

Hope i helped you guys with this how to. (Took me more time to write it than install it!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Fin

Excellent!! Looks like I'll finally get the switch off the shelf, and on the car  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: