Key in ignition warning buzzer

Started by paulj, October 26, 2017, 20:25

paulj

My pfl has a buzzer if the key is in the ignition AND the drivers door is open.  Does anyone know how to stop it activating?

I still want the door switch to operate things like the alarm, door open light etc, so (I guess) need to find where the switch feeds the ignition buzzer circuit.

Thank in advance for any help
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Chilli Girl

No, I'm afraid I don't know Paul but I must admit, it's a damn nuisance and hate the sound!  s:( :( s:(
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Justin.D

Click for my Readers Ride

alancsalt

Well, stops you leaving the key in the ignition for thieves, even if it can be annoying.
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

stewart@boro

Quote from: "alancsalt"Well, stops you leaving the key in the ignition for thieves, even if it can be annoying.

It's a bit like living with the same woman for over 30 years....you get used to the annoying little habits  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
(and no doubt she would say the same about me  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

paulj

Shnazzle's fix is like the "nuclear option" to disable all beeps and buzzes.  I only wanted to loose one of them so will perhaps spend cold winter nights poring over wiring diagrams.  If I find anything I will let you all know.

I know the plfs beep less than the fls, so that is small comfort.

In the meantime, if anyone else has inspiration....
Today
In the late 1980's

Ardent

how about muffling it rather disabling all together?

I feel your pain BTW

Topdownman

I put sellotape over it and then put a hole in the sellotape as someone had previously recommended. This does quieten it a bit and doesnt take long to do so worth a try first just in case thats enough for you?

Its a shame all the warnings use the same beeper but I wouldnt want to be without it completely because sometimes I do leave the lights on!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Quote from: "paulj"Shnazzle's fix is like the "nuclear option" to disable all beeps and buzzes.  I only wanted to loose one of them so will perhaps spend cold winter nights poring over wiring diagrams.  If I find anything I will let you all know.

I know the plfs beep less than the fls, so that is small comfort.

In the meantime, if anyone else has inspiration....
It's variably nuclear  s:) :) s:)  You can adjust the nuke strength by hope much bluetac and/or tape you use  s:) :) s:)
I still hear mine, and it has warned me of lights being on and when switching reverse gear. It's just at about 20% volume so it doesn't drive you nuts!

Turning off the buzzer on key entry might be (body) ecu-controlled.
Putting the key in is also part of triggering the key-coding procedure, so there's clearly a ecu of some kind "listening" for events.
Pulling out a wire might stop other stuff working.

Alternatively, put a resistor on the door sensor so it's always logged as "closed". That'd be fairly easy. Open it up and tap into the positive wire. Mark the voltage difference between open and closed door and buy an appropriate resistor for the voltage drop.
...neutiquam erro.

paulj

OK, so I think I may have found a fix for this.  I stumbled across it on an American 4x4 forum relating to the HiLux but it appears to work for my car.  Attached to the steering column ignition barrel are a lot of wire but a single red/yellow and black/white pair which have their own connector.  Pull this connector out and the beep stops.

All other functions seem to keep working and the buzzer still works for leaving lights on, that seems to rely on light switch plus door switch.

I have added a photo of the connector just pulled out.
Today
In the late 1980's

Dougster7

Any issues since pulling the plug? If it works this will be perfect as I'll use the wires to connect a bmw e36 chime instead of that god awful piezo buzzer [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2ZZ by Rogue

McMr2

Reminds me of that episode in breaking bad...
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

paulj

It worked ok for the 2018 summer. I popped it back in over the winter when playing with the immobiliser/alarm just in case it made a difference to the programming and haven't yet removed it again.
Today
In the late 1980's

Dougster7

Nice one, worth a try then [emoji1303] Just need to figure out how to use it for the indicators being left on too, plenty of terminals on the BM chime [emoji1696]

2ZZ by Rogue

paulj

Not near my car so cant check, but are the indicators a worry for us?  Setting a parking light by leaving the indicator on when leaving the car is something I associate more with German cars.....
Today
In the late 1980's

Dougster7

No nothing to worry about, amount of times the indicators stay on while driving cause I can't hear them or see the light on the dash when the hoods down so got one of those £4 eBay buzzer kits, works but hate the noise. The BM unit can produce several noises / chimes so hoping for one for the indicators and one for the key left in....if all goes to plan [emoji1696]

2ZZ by Rogue

AdamR28

Quote from: paulj on February 15, 2018, 18:57OK, so I think I may have found a fix for this.

I can confirm this works, and only cuts the 'left the key in the ignition' warning bong.

You can do it without pulling any trim, but you have to be upside down in the footwell.

The connector is about in line with the brake pedal, just to the right of the steering column if you were sat in the drivers seat, or just to the left if you 'assume the position'.

You cannot view this attachment.

A little bit awkward working upside down and one handed, but I just snapped the connector away from its home, which allowed better access to the little press in clip, and it slid apart.

'Headlights on and door open' warning still works. Happy days. Thanks PaulJ!

Tags: