Internal wastegate actuator

Started by woodypk, October 27, 2017, 19:07

woodypk

Another question regarding my turbo installation.

My turbo - Garrett GT2860RS doesn't have a nipple on the housing for the wastegate actuator.

Am I best drilling/tapping one or can I connect this hose with a Tee in the vac line?

If not, please can you explain why this wouldn't work. I'm looking for the best possible boost response so I'm happy to go with whichever way is the best.

Cheers guys.
Black W reg standard - Gone
Sable 06 Reg turbo - staying forever

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

shnazzle

Does it have an internal wastegate?
Please don't drill into your turbo  s:) :) s:)  haha

Just tap boost pressure from the throttle body area. A lot safer. That's where ours gets it from for the boost controller
...neutiquam erro.

SteveJ

it's always best to take the pressure reference for the waste gate from as close to the turbo as possible - that way you avoid boost spikes when going from partial to full throttle.

The ECU should be fed with a pressure reading after the throttle body to ensure accurate fuelling.

shnazzle

Truth.
Still, is this still not a better idea?

...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

I saw that before. I was just not sure if it was as reliable as a drilled and tapped brass fitting. Straight after that silicone piece on mine (obviously has no nipple in it yet) is the intercooler pipework. Id be happier taking that small bend of pipework into work and drilling/welding a fitting in as there's less to go wrong it I make a pigs ear of it.

Since the internal diameter is bigger and thus volume of the intercooler pipework greater, will this give any different readings with regards to the pressure?

On a side note, what type of boost controller are you using shnazzle?

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

shnazzle

Quote from: "woodypk"I saw that before. I was just not sure if it was as reliable as a drilled and tapped brass fitting. Straight after that silicone piece on mine (obviously has no nipple in it yet) is the intercooler pipework. Id be happier taking that small bend of pipework into work and drilling/welding a fitting in as there's less to go wrong it I make a pigs ear of it.

Since the internal diameter is bigger and thus volume of the intercooler pipework greater, will this give any different readings with regards to the pressure?

On a side note, what type of boost controller are you using shnazzle?

I can't imagine there will be any pressure or response difference whether it's as on the pic or in the housing. Not significantly anyway.

We/my wife has the misfortune of having a Unichip piggyback solution with associated unichip boost controller. It does the job. Overboost protection being the main thing.
...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

So what if the fitting was installed a little further downstream towards the intercooler? Is the basic consensus that anywhere between the turbo and the throttle body is acceptable but closer the housing, the better?

shnazzle

I think the point Steve was (very validly) making is that you don't want any delays what so ever in pressure readings. You already have a bit of overhead with signal processing speed, the last thing you want is for your boost controller to read that massive spike just too late and blow a peep hole in your block before it can close that boost actuator or cut ignition.

So if you catch boost at the manifold, it's too late. By the time it reads overboost there, it's in your engine.
If you catch overboost at the turbo, you have 0.something seconds for your boost controller to close that actuator and let the wastegate pop or cut ignition so that at least yoy don't ignite that deadly mixture

Whereas a boost gauge, you want at the manifold so that you can read what the engine is actually getting.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

I'll let the big boys answer exactly how close to the turbo is minimum  s:) :) s:)

Oh, and in case you wondered... Ours is tapped at the manifold. So, not optimal, but still works and the controller has caught a good few overboost scenarios. So, don't let my previous post scare you.
...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

Thanks for the explanations. The only reason I'm confused is because since starting my research on turbo setups, I've only ever seen the wastegate actuator nipple have a hose directly to the outlet of the turbo. I'm just trying to make sure that when my setup is complete, I'm minimising as far as reasonably possible, any potential damage to the engine due to setting it up wrong since I'm literally learning as I go.

It is a fun project though!

shnazzle

Quote from: "woodypk"Thanks for the explanations. The only reason I'm confused is because since starting my research on turbo setups, I've only ever seen the wastegate actuator nipple have a hose directly to the outlet of the turbo. I'm just trying to make sure that when my setup is complete, I'm minimising as far as reasonably possible, any potential damage to the engine due to setting it up wrong since I'm literally learning as I go.

It is a fun project though!
I wish it were my project too  s:) :) s:)

To be honest, I never knew there were turbos without the nipple on the housing. Usually the housing is directly piped to the actuator, which seems like the best solution.
But, a lot of exhaust manifolds have built in outlets for an aftermarket blow off valve. So, I guess that's why. Ultimate control over your boost.

So I guess the gt2860rs is built for use with such a manifold
...neutiquam erro.

Micha

Garrett GT and GTX series don't have pressure signal nipple.
I don't know why but it is like that.

Greddy turbo are in the same situation.

You can drill the compressor housing and put a nipple or you can use a metal pipe insert with a nipple or... many solutions.
However, as metioned, that is one of the points where things can go wrong.
2001 RHD Silver - Greddy T517Z Turbo - TopSecret Manifold - PTR muffler - PWR CC - Blitz 525cc -  Moroso + Oil Cooler - TRD ShortShifter - Shifter Cable Bushing - JDL Body + TopSecret Fr. Bumper- TRD Strut & Underbrace F/R - Central X bar - ZenkyRacing Coilovers - Rear Arms - Front Anti-roll bar

Tags: