DF53ONC RIP

Started by Codswallop, November 1, 2017, 21:36

Codswallop

Unfortunately two weeks ago, my FL Sable Grey MR2 ceased to be. It was just after midnight on a rain soaked evening, when coming off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway I lost the back end and went straight into a wall. Crash was most probably caused by me taking the roundabout a bit too quick and giving it a bit too much throttle on exit for the wet conditions. Although I steered into the skid, the back just kept coming round and there wasn't the space to do much.

Car was declared a write off by insurance, but I live in hope that the car will be repaired and put back on the road. If it is put back on the road as a cat d or c, and if the new owner reads this, I've got all of the original Toyota folders, manuals, spare keys, and a service book with 14 service stamps (13 of them from Toyota) ready and waiting to be reunited with the car. Really gutted I crashed the car as it was in superb condition, and I'd just had the car undersealed last summer, and recently cleaned and treated the soft top.

Pics from better times...

Drive safe everyone!
(My 375bhp V8 is easier to catch in a slide than this thing was!)

delhusband

Ouch, sorry to read/see this, hopefully no injuries.
Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Argh! That does look terminal.
Hope you're OK.
Very big of you to admit fault. Many would blame it on the car, weather, other people, etc etc.

Another one?  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Treboeth

Sad to see another one gone[emoji852]️

When's the new one due?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Codswallop

Quote from: "delhusband"Ouch, sorry to read/see this, hopefully no injuries.

Luckily I wasn't injured (and no one else involved). The car did a good job of protecting me from my over exuberance. Impact speed estimated at 20mph. No airbags deployed, but they weren't needed evidently.

Quote from: "shnazzle"Very big of you to admit fault. Many would blame it on the car, weather, other people, etc etc.

Now that you mention it; I recall there was a cute puppy, kitten and duckling I had to sverve to avoid, hence the spin   s:o :o s:o  Oh, and diesel. Always blame diesel   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

In all seriousness, it was totally down to me not driving to conditions. All cars require extra caution in inclement weather, especially MR layout ones. I can't blame the car as it had 4 Bridgestones with decent thread, and I only have myself to blame for using too much throttle. Luckily no one else got caught up in my accident either. My first accident in 13 years, so useful reminder to always be careful.

As to questions about replacement, the MR2 has really turned me onto light weight cars (plus allowed me to try my hand at track days and auto solo). I'm sure I'll end up back in one again at some point, but I fancy trying something different first.

The MR2 was part of a two car fleet, but I think I'll go for 1 all rounder next (I'm being drawn to the 987.2 Boxster 2.9). If I decide to go the 2 car route again, it's hard to see past the MR2 as a brilliant value driver's car.

If DF53ONC does end up back on the road, the new owner can feel free to message me or post in here and I'll send you the history etc.

OldRedCelica

You're OK and that's the biggest thing.
Owned a few Toyotas, still own a few. Known around the interweb as Old Red Celica. Heinz our TF300 is named that because he\'s number 057.  MR2 is technically Mrs Old Red\'s, but she does FB, I do forums.

Tags: