Small ampflifier

Started by Bugster_MR2, November 5, 2017, 20:14

Bugster_MR2

Hi

Has anybody had any success in finding and installing a small amp for the front speakers in our cars?

Yes, I searched and found several threads. Most of them years old, hence this new post.

I installed Polk DXI6500 components one year ago. They sound like  sshit shit sshit , and I believe it is because they demand a lot more power than what my Kenwood DNX5240BT rated at 4x50w can deliver. Other members from Spyderchat say the same.

Now, I  was hoping to find something that could be installed without separate power cables. But maybe that is not very likely.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

shnazzle

I've got a tiny 12v Bluetooth amp module I keep meaning to try. I just can't face messing with the wiring again for the sake of experimentation.

I think i'll get some breaker speakers to try it with.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

I have one of these...

m https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... hg04rlhu_e m

You could use it 2x90w to drive your speakers, you could mount it up under the dash (search for under dash subwoofer on here, it could go in the same place)

It did come with a long power lead, but I can't remember how long, as I cut it off and ran a proper 8awg lead through from the battery (easy five minute jon on our cars...)

Really pleased with it (although mine runs my components actively at 4x45w, but you need a decent H/U to do this)

Mikeymead

I fitted a slightly bigger sub amp than the one suggested by VX220 here.

[attachment=0:2zdl9d7k] ia0 Amp.jpg ia0 [/attachment:2zdl9d7k]
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Mikeymead

Oops double post
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

vx220

Quote from: "Mikeymead"I fitted a slightly bigger sub amp than the one suggested by VX220 here.

Amp.jpg

Think I might have missed a trick there, if I upgrade my system with a DSP I'm going to be relocating my amp to that spot...

JoeCool

The only amps I know of that get away without additional power supply are some digital in line amps.  They use highly efficient digital circuitry to boost output, just by being more efficient than an analogue amp. However they're part of a system involving an expensive head unit.  

You'll need to find a location for a small 2 channel amp and 8awg cable to and from it to the battery.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

JoeCool

Also, sound deadening, and re-inforcing/mass loading the speaker attachment points if you haven't done so already. Makes a big difference once a speaker has amp-power behind it.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Bugster_MR2

Quote from: "JoeCool"The only amps I know of that get away without additional power supply are some digital in line amps.  They use highly efficient digital circuitry to boost output, just by being more efficient than an analogue amp. However they're part of a system involving an expensive head unit.  

You'll need to find a location for a small 2 channel amp and 8awg cable to and from it to the battery.

Digital inline amps what was i was hoping to find.

Your suggestion on installing a separate amp is what i was afraid of. This also means I will have to install new speaker cables from the amp to both doors and a signal cable from head unit to amp. So lots of extra wiring and the need to remove seats and carpets. Not hard, i've done it before, but it is not on my wishlist.

My sollution then, would rather be to replace my new powerhungry speakers with another set which can be driven properly by the headunit.  

Thanks for all replies.
Bugster
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

JoeCool

I found one option:  m https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... s/GM-D1004 m

Looks from the description to do waht you want. They might do an even smaller 2 channel version. Looks like you can get the 4 channel version for under £100.

>My sollution then, would rather be to replace my new powerhungry speakers with another set which can be driven properly by the headunit.

To do this you need to look at 'sensitivity' in the spec sheets. Something like 97db/W/m is really sensitive and will have been designed to work with a head unit. Something like 87/db/w/m is really power hungry and takes serious power to drive effectively.

I know hertz made some decent speakers that were designed for head unit power alone.  m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hertz-dieci-dsk-165-3 m   Are the best  I can find with a cursory glance at 93 Db/w/m.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Bugster_MR2

I did not realize untill now that the Pioneer unit could be connected like this. Nice. I think i will give it a go.

Thanks a bunch.
Bugster

Tags: