Will a front splitter be an improvement?

Started by HFB, November 8, 2017, 20:57

HFB

Looking at improving the aero on my car.

Have this rubber strip on the front currently which is a kind of a splitter I suppose.

Will removing this and fitting a solid, more sculpted one make a difference?

What is best to improve downforce on front and rear (without going too excessive - mainly going to be track use - Brands, Bedford, Cadwell, Lydden Hill)

Ideas?

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

lamcote

According to the YouTube guy who does lots of aero vids the best spec for a normal road car is;

Splitter at the front
Flat floor
1 inch of rake, upwards from front to back
10 degree diffuser at the back

Without a wind tunnel there's no point in much else.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Nvy

I would not bother with this one but get some lip that will make ur front end to look like TRD front bumper. I think u can get one quite cheap, try the facebook group.

HFB

Quote from: "Nvy"I would not bother with this one but get some lip that will make your front end to look like TRD front bumper. I think u can get one quite cheap, try the facebook group.

When you say 'Not bother with this one' do you mean the rubber lip that is on there or car?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

HFB
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Nvy

Quote from: "HFB"
Quote from: "Nvy"I would not bother with this one but get some lip that will make your front end to look like TRD front bumper. I think u can get one quite cheap, try the facebook group.

When you say 'Not bother with this one' do you mean the rubber lip that is on there or car?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

HFB

yeah, the rubber thing wont help u have downforce or anything.

P.S. Sorry that i missed your question - "Will removing this and fitting a solid, more sculpted one make a difference?"

It will make different for the downforce if u fit some solid lip. Also from what i have read some mud flaps helps with that. Jap cars have them from some year on. The way they works is they distract the air around the wheels so it will reduce the lift. Lost of stuff would help the car but making the lift disappear will help the most. I will be working on my car aero after i do the engine mods  s:) :) s:)

My mods:
1. Vented hood with some ducts/ vented fenders. All plastics will bite the dust too because the air should go out from somewhere. I have something like the lotus elise duct in mind.
2. Flat underbody.
3. Better front lip.
4. Rear diffuser  and cut outs in the bumper so the air behind the wheel will leave from there.
5. Rocket bunny flares if i cant have wide body kit.
6. Rear wingggggggggggggggggggggggggggg RICE style  s:D :D s:D

Something like this, i have lots of ideas but have no idea what will work best

HFB

Cool thanks Nvy

I have no ideas as to what is best to do.

First think I'm trying to do is learn how to drive the thing a bit faster!!  s:) :) s:)

Mine has the mud flaps fitted already (luck not judgement)

I plan to sort out a front diffuser and rear spoiler as my next purchases after the TD and cage install in Dec.

For such a cheap little car to buy, it sure does like to have money spent on it!!!

HFB
2000 Roadster

Nvy

Quote from: "HFB"Cool thanks Nvy

I have no ideas as to what is best to do.

First think I'm trying to do is learn how to drive the thing a bit faster!!  s:) :) s:)

Mine has the mud flaps fitted already (luck not judgement)

I plan to sort out a front diffuser and rear spoiler as my next purchases after the TD and cage install in Dec.

For such a cheap little car to buy, it sure does like to have money spent on it!!!

HFB

The aftermarket support is very poor thats why its expensive. You can have k20 series stuff for way cheaper and lots of choice on the market.

I would do following:
1. Tires and alignment.
2. Front splitter/lip.
3. Wing/spoiler - there is a small wing/spoiler(i always mistake these) somewhere for ~ 75 pounds that would help with a bit of rear downforce. It looks like audi TT thing that they fitted after lots of ppl found their death in these cars.
4. Go nuts on other mods - Have a look on vented hood and ducting, it would be the best mod possible for this car coz of the angle that the wind through the radiator is hitting the plastic in the frunk, it creates lots of lift.

JoeCool

I found this which I thought was cool. I did find a place selling them in Belgium of all places at £130 shipped to UK, but I can't find that link any more.

m https://www.kamispeed.com/BEATRUSH-Alum ... 12020f.htm m
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Tags: