Replacement battery options

Started by StuC, November 27, 2017, 20:18

StuC

So, banana's battery finally gave up this morning after being left in the cold over the weekend. Plenty of sign the battery was on its way out.
Moderate/poor cranking.
Poor unlocking from fob.

So I went to Halfords and looked at the options:
Lead acid
Calcium

Anything else on the market I should be looking into?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

lamcote

When I need one I think I'll be getting one of these:

Yuasa YBX 5053 Silver (HSB053)
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

StuC

I have bought one of those today. I like that it is slightly beefier at 48aH.

Before I fit it though, I was wondering if there was something lighter with the same grunt. It is quite a lot heavier than the one I took out!

steveash

I've been running a Varley Red Top 25 for 3 months now without problems. It is tiny and much lighter than the usual battery. It is really for racing and has lots of cranking power, just not much capacity. It works fine for me as a weekend car but might not be ideal for a daily doing short runs, particularly if you are running an amp, heated seats etc.

Markb

Buy the Yuasa,very good battery...don't buy Lion from Eurocarparts,crap.

lgriffiths

I bought the Yuasa Silver HSB053 from halfrauds a few weeks back. no regrets.

JoeCool

I've always gone Bosch Silver.. seem to work ok for me!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

StuC

Yup, the Yuasa Silver seems to be holding up well.  s:-D :-D s:-D

Craikeybaby

I'm also in the market for a new battery. I'm slightly concerned that the original is still fitted it is a Panasonic battery with Japanese writing on in (mine is a UK car).

I've been looking at the Optima yellow top. I like the idea of a Varley red top, but it doesn't look like a straight swap. The Yuasa mentioned in this thread sounds good, but I'd rather go lighter than heavier if possible.

puma2

:) i  got the yuasa 5 year sliver today, halfords price match amazon got for £64.99 instead of £100.
lets  hope they last now hay Stu  :)

does seem to be highly recommend  :D

StuC

@puma2 good stuff Paul. Mine is still fine, no issues. In fairness I'd be disappointed if there were! lol.

Glad you are sorted. :-D

Craikeybaby

I also got one last week, price matched by Halfords. I would have preferred something lighter, but was running out of time & needed the car on the road & reliable over the weekend.

Tags: