SMT

Started by lamcote, December 8, 2017, 18:01

lamcote

SMT
Can anyone tell me whether the SMT cars have a throttle cable? I know they have an electronically controlled throttle, I am just wondering what actually controls the system and whether there is a potentiometer on the throttle pedal or is there a cable which runs to the throttle body and operates a potentiometer located somewhere there?

Thanks
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

It's a DBW throttle body I believe. I think that's partially how it has traction control.
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Thanks, I think I am trying to work out where the TPS is located. I reckon it must be on the throttle body because they seem to still have a throttle cable. I had wondered whether the TPS was on the throttle pedal itself and therefore there was no throttle cable.

shnazzle

Yeah it is. The tps sits on the opposite side to the controlling side of the butterfly. So, same on both SMT and manual
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Thanks

mrzwei

IIRC the pre-facelift SMT was fly by wire but with a cable back up. The post facelift was fly by wire. Time fades the memory so could be wrong.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

SteveJ

All SMTs had a throttle cable that had command of the first 30% or so of butterfly opening. The remaining travel was restricted by a servo pushing against the requested opening amount to allow rev-matching on shifts.

SteveJ

Ps. There was a mod that was popular in the US to prevent the push-back from the servo so all it could do was raise the revs for downshifts but not restrict the opening requested from the throttle pedal / cable. It would have made up shifts clunky though.

Tags: