Car Lifts

Started by 8thumpers, December 20, 2017, 16:29

8thumpers

Has anyone used, or got, one of these single post mobile lifts?
I have looked at 2 post 4 post and scissor each with pros and cons....
Height is not an issue in my garage.
I'm wondering about accessibility under the car when it's raised....

Carolyn

They claim to lift to 1.75 metres.  That's a little cramped but very useable.  I'd be more comfortable with the bolt-down version, I think.  

I've only ever seen one in use.  Like all lifts, it has its limitations.  Hell of a lot better than No Lift.

Looking at that little ramp for getting the wheel over the  frame, you would probably need to make a pair of longer ones to get the bumper over the lift (especially if your car is lowered).  But that's normal for these cars.  I had to make longer ramps for my four-poster.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

How much would said lift set one back?
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

They have a few different models.  The most basic is a 'side lift' at around £700 (only for the brave) to the full bolt-down 2.5 ton jobbie at around £2,000.

Carolyn

The thing about lifts, is sometimes you want the weight off the wheels.  Sometimes, you want the weight on the wheels and often it doesn't matter.

Our four-poster also has a ratcheted frame that will lock in place and (with cross-supports inserted), the lift can be dropped away from the wheels.

There are tons of serviceable used lifts out there.

8thumpers

Quote from: "shnazzle"How much would said lift set one back?
£2150 including vat

8thumpers

Quote from: "Carolyn"The thing about lifts, is sometimes you want the weight off the wheels.  Sometimes, you want the weight on the wheels and often it doesn't matter.

Our four-poster also has a ratcheted frame that will lock in place and (with cross-supports inserted), the lift can be dropped away from the wheels.

There are tons of serviceable used lifts out there.
I like the 4 post idea, but it's not ideal if you want to lift the car up off the engine/subframe....
Great for car storage though

Carolyn

I use a four poster for lifting the car off the engine.  No probs.  A couple of wooden blocks under the sills, with the rest hanging off the lift.  It is surprisingly secure and stable.  (Or is that 'strong and stable'?)

m1tch

Wish I could get a lift but there is no way I can fit a car in the garage lol

Carolyn

This is a close up of the ratchet and frame that allows the lift to be dropped away from the wheels.  Cross-beams and spacers allow the car to stay up there.  The lift is a Bradbury Liftmaster 3.5 ton.
You can see the lever that allows the ratchet to work on the left.  The long yellowish beams running the length of the lift can also be adjusted for width.  It's very versatile.  Probably another 'hens' teeth' job!
Edit, found a pic of the ratchet frame in use!

Lurch

Quote from: "8thumpers"Has anyone used, or got, one of these single post mobile lifts?
They are a good company to deal with ! I bought a sissor lift from them £1250 and found it to difficult to move around and get under my MR2, so rang them up and they took it back no problem full refund .
LURCH

8thumpers

Quote from: "Lurch"
Quote from: "8thumpers"Has anyone used, or got, one of these single post mobile lifts?
They are a good company to deal with ! I bought a sissor lift from them £1250 and found it to difficult to move around and get under my MR2, so rang them up and they took it back no problem full refund .
That is very good info Lurch... exactly the kind of experience I need!  s:) :) s:)

8thumpers

Quote from: "Carolyn"This is a close up of the ratchet and frame that allows the lift to be dropped away from the wheels.  Cross-beams and spacers allow the car to stay up there.  The lift is a Bradbury Liftmaster 3.5 ton.
You can see the lever that allows the ratchet to work on the left.  The long yellowish beams running the length of the lift can also be adjusted for width.  It's very versatile.  Probably another 'hens' teeth' job!
Edit, found a pic of the ratchet frame in use!
Excellent info Carolyn! I see exactly how it works. I've had my various cars on a 4 post lifts over the years but not really looked at the detailing how they suspend the body off the wheels.
In my instance I think a 4 post may be over the top for how much I will use it...
Great pics - thanx!

8thumpers

Def going with the mobile single post lift.
Just as soon as I have sorted the electrics in the garage...
I'll also be making availability to rent out the garage space for occasional days, if anyone wants to work on their car in the dry!

MR TWO

Quote from: "8thumpers"Def going with the mobile single post lift.
Just as soon as I have sorted the electrics in the garage...
I'll also be making availability to rent out the garage space for occasional days, if anyone wants to work on their car in the dry!

Now there's a thought... repainting then underside - hmmmm
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

m1tch

Anyone tried those quick jacks for those won't don't have garage space for a car?

Bodgeroo

I've often been tempted with those axle stands that jack up with the use of a jack and then lock high. Essentially the jack rolls under and into the axle stand jacks up.
 m http://www.jackpointjackstands.com m

They are a bit expensive though.

KRAMSNEHPETS

I have got that exact lift, not yet put the MR2 on it yet though. Put an Auris on it which my son was breaking. No real issues with working on the ends of the car. Not much good if removing whole exhaust or middle of car though, but you already know that!
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

8thumpers

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"I have got that exact lift, not yet put the MR2 on it yet though. Put an Auris on it which my son was breaking. No real issues with working on the ends of the car. Not much good if removing whole exhaust or middle of car though, but you already know that!
I guess they all have compromise when we have small garages... Ideally a 2 post but my space would be ruined 90% of the time when it isn't used.
At least the 2 doesn't have a full-length exhaust!

Tags: