Blue PFL V8 conversion

Started by 8thumpers, January 14, 2018, 00:39

greybeardgt

Very interesting thread thumpers! now you are into fabrication stage you might find a use for Rivet Nuts these can be inserted into eng/chassis rails without access to the inside of the box they come in all sizes (see web) we used them on production line when customer req a 12 gallon tank never heard of a  fuel tank falling off cheers greybeardgt

Call the midlife!

Quote from: greybeardgt on February 22, 2018, 14:28
Very interesting thread thumpers! now you are into fabrication stage you might find a use for Rivet Nuts these can be inserted into eng/chassis rails without access to the inside of the box they come in all sizes (see web) we used them on production line when customer req a 12 gallon tank never heard of a  fuel tank falling off cheers greybeardgt
My frunk plastics are rivnutted on, easier than the clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

StuC

Quote from: greybeardgt on February 22, 2018, 14:28

Good shout. We use them on body panels at JLR too.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

8thumpers

Rivnuts: Yes a great invention - I used them a lot when I built my MK Indy Fireblade a few years back.
Cheers guys!

8thumpers

Starter motor fun:
When I bought the engine and Jedi box from Paul Woods, he had already done a lot of the r&d on mating the two together. The original starter is mounted on the bellhousing for the v8 in the traditional position. On the Jedi box it is mounted alongside the engine block. Subsequently some block casting material has to be removed from this area to give clearance to the starter.

The starter that came with the gearbox is for a 2ltr diesel 4 cylinder. No matter what I did it won't fit! The mounting lug is the wrong side of the solenoid - see yellow circle.

Suddenly had a brainwave.... this gearbox is also fitted to v6 engines and I thought I had seen a picture with the solenoid on the other side of the lug, which pushes it away from the V.....  A quick check on the famous auction site and presto!

Replacement starter ordered... Fingers crossed....

I need this in place before I can determine the engine mounts. Another story...

8thumpers

Rear hub:
The discs came for the rear hubs this week - now I can see exactly how much space I will have when the hub carriers is fabricated. There was concern that the carrier would interfere with the disc shoulder and/or the hub bolts.
I can now see we have plenty of space .

Calipers may be more of an issue... mr2 ones won't fit these discs... 3rd party solution required...

8thumpers

Spent the ice cold weather this evening designing the gear linkage. Cables out - Rod in! Should give a nice tight feel..... I hope!

Also had notice that the starter is ready to collect from A R Gos and sons.

8thumpers

Well that is a major step forward... the v6 starter bolts straight on and the solenoid fits a treat!
If this had not worked then the whole project was in the balance....

Happy Days!

StuC

8thumpers

This is the v8 oil filter and water cooled housing.... it is huge and had to go!
I have an oil take off plate on order from 034 in the states, which will give me a remote filter housing in a more accessible location [emoji4]

8thumpers

Anoyher standard dimension request please...
How much ground clearance is there from lowest point of transmission/subframe to the road on your 2?

StuC

@8thumpers I have the time to check today if only....
A. It wasn't snowing.
B. Banana was on my drive.

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on March 17, 2018, 10:27
@8thumpers I have the time to check today if only....
A. It wasn't snowing.
B. Banana was on my drive.
Yikes x 2! Lol

StuC

Prolly won't have Banana back until next weekend either.
I am guessing you'd like the measurement before then? In order to keep your progress for an attendance at Ding Day.

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on March 17, 2018, 10:32
Prolly won't have Banana back until next weekend either.
I am guessing you'd like the measurement before then? In order to keep your progress for an attendance at Ding Day.
Well I'd love to get some wheels on it by then for sure... not sure it will be on the road but if mobile I'll trailer it up to show everyone how it's going...

Cheers Stu much appreciated.

8thumpers

My 034 ABZ oil cooler takeoff plate arrived a few days ago. It's a nice piece of cnc and rids the engine of the hideous factory cooler.
I need to drill and tap a small hole in the block for the right hand bolt but that can be done next time the engine comes out.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: 8thumpers on March 17, 2018, 18:17
My 034 ABZ oil cooler takeoff plate arrived a few days ago. It's a nice piece of cnc and rids the engine of the hideous factory cooler.
I need to drill and tap a small hole in the block for the right hand bolt but that can be done next time the engine comes out.
That's a lovely piece of work there but isn't there a port missing?
In, out, shake it all about...

8thumpers

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 17, 2018, 18:19

I'll do the hokey cokey when its finished for sure!! Lol

Call the midlife!

Quote from: 8thumpers on March 17, 2018, 18:28

I'll do the hokey cokey when its finished for sure!! Lol
[emoji23]

Topdownman

I am glad that at least someone else is at my level of mechanical knowledge.

Keep up the good work (both of you).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

8thumpers

After some measuring and CAD work I have replicated the subframe design in plywood.
This enables me to check for clearance before getting it fabricated in 50x50 steel.
When it's bolted up I can determine the suspension pickup points.
All arms will be rose jointed to allow for setting up the geometry when its together....

StuC

@8thumpers nice bit of progress again. I still dont have my car back to get your measurement.

Are you going to use the mount right at the end of the box? It looks a long way from any structure that you might have in that area.  :o

8thumpers

I think I will get one from the back mount but there is also this collection of 3 holes that I'll get a mount from too. The drivers side has a similar arrangement but 2 holes.
With these and the two onto the block, plus one at the front, I'll have six mounts from the engine and 'box which will be adequate I'm sure.

8thumpers

I've just adjusted the gearbox height which wasn't quite level in the chassis. In short I have raised the back of the box which results in the final subframe-to-road clearance of 125mm. A bit more than I expected tbf

StuC

Just thinking out loud. You should be able to calculate backwards from my previous measurements, as hey were to the subframe mount. This is only viable of course if you still have your subframe. ;)

@8thumpers

Tags: