Axle stand failure - warning

Started by shnazzle, January 16, 2018, 12:42

shnazzle

Just watched this and my fears were confirmed.

I have one set of ratcheting axle stands, but I try to avoid them if I can. I prefer the ones I have with the big fat pin to set the height. Usually I try to get away with lifting the car only as high as the base height of the stand, eliminating any dependency on any mechanism that holds the stand up.

The ratchet mechanism is quite safe. The way it works stops it from accidentally being triggered to release the stand.
Or so I thought... Then I watched this clip. A comprehensive test of this "safety".
Especially applicable to our light cars.

m https://youtu.be/G7_Aa8pbM7Y m
Work safe. Work smart  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

That link took me to a sales pitch for a different type of jack stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Oh... Hmm.. I'll fix it

Edit: fixed
...neutiquam erro.

smarty72

I have ratcheting stands like those, but thankfully they also have a large pin to push through once you've set it to your desired height.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Bossworld

Scary stuff :/

To be honest, I still don't feel entirely comfortable with the gearbox inches from my chest (my stands are the halfords ones with pins) and I'm looking into a pair of ramps for anything where the wheels still being attached doesn't matter.

shnazzle

Quote from: "Bossworld"Scary stuff :/

To be honest, I still don't feel entirely comfortable with the gearbox inches from my chest (my stands are the halfords ones with pins) and I'm looking into a pair of ramps for anything where the wheels still being attached doesn't matter.
That's my default these days. You've been on them  s:) :) s:)  They inspire significantly more confidence than two weedy little stands.

With my old alloys I used to always put the wheel I took off under the silly as well, just in case. But I can't get myself to do this with my new alloys hahah.

Ultimately I'd love a set of ramps like Ian (mulaz) built.
They were invaluable when we did the gearboxes on our cars. I can't imagine how much more of a hassle it would have been without those ramps.
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

My @rse always twitched when I was under the car when its on jacks. Ramps are the way forward imo.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Treboeth

Quote from: "wotugonado"My @rse always twitched when I was under the car when its on jacks. Ramps are the way forward imo.

When I have been on Jacks I try and stay away from any motorised transport.

But an old wheel or two as extra insurance is always a good thing especially as our cars are so low.

Topdownman

Thanks for posting.

You cant have too many stands, jacks and wheels under the car when you are going under it in my opinion.

I have never liked that style of jack stand personally and whilst that guy with the porsche was maybe just a freak occurrence, freak occurrences do, as we know, happen.

Lets be safe out there!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

delhusband

That's scary. Never been particularly comfortable crawling under my car anyway. Watching that vid before considering learning more spannering is a bit like watching Jaws before a trip to the beach  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Hate pointy animals

Carolyn

Good quality jack stands (even with ratchets) are very reliable tools.  I have never known an instance of a car falling off properly placed jack stands that are up to the job.  Been jacking cars up for more decades than I'm prepared to admit to.  If in doubt, an extra old wheel in a strategic spot gives peace of mind.

I HAVE seen cars (and trucks) fall on people.  Invariably they were idiots. In the States I twice had to jack a pick-up off a badly injured idiot.... not a pleasant experience.

The most common cause of accidents is going under a vehicle that's supported only by a jack, with no back-up.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

I must state the obvious prevention to the issue described in the video;

Don't knock the pin!   s:) :) s:)
It's just a thought for if you're swinging that 2ft breaker bar whilst under the car. And even then, as per the video it's quite difficult
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

If I have the suspension stiff enough when I jack one corner of the car up both the wheels on that side come off the ground.
My money is on the Porsche being somehow critically balanced with hardly any weight on the jack that dropped and he's done something to upset the balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: