Cone filters

Started by Garfy, January 17, 2018, 07:20

Garfy

Good morning folk, looking for a cone filter for my 2, is there really any difference  between a K&N filter and a 15 squid e-pray one?
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors
ECU and electronic boost control
2.5" sports exhaust with twin tail pipes

shnazzle

Yes.
Definitely.

If you can find cotton replaceable (not washable) ones, they're your best bet for filtration. Assuming you're just after the noise anyway right?

If you need the extra throttle response/flow, go for a good quality Green filter. K&n in the end is a bit on the poop side.
...neutiquam erro.

Garfy

Miss the noise from my MGF with one, serious smiles  :-) :-) :-)  if I can get extra flow in as well, all to the good. I expect that comes at a premium, time to search for what's available.
Any pointers in what I'm looking for?
In the future I will be looking towards the MAF MOD if that has any bearing on the decision  :-) :-) :-)
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors

shnazzle

Not really  s:) :) s:)  Plenty air coming in.
Stock engine can only physically pull in about 185cfm air. Stock cotton panels are rated to 300+,at least.
Good cones 500+
Bad cones sometimes less than 300 but the important thing is the filtration vs flow. That's my main concern with cheap filters.

K&N only get my down-vote because if you get the oiling wrong, you drastically reduce the flow performance of the filter.
I measured lower flow on the k&n than on stock panel. But, that was after I oiled it. I suspect I over-oiled. But there's no way to know what is too much or too little.
...neutiquam erro.

Garfy

Thank you sir  :-) :-) :-)
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors

m1tch

Also worth noting that you would need to mount the cone filter behind the battery to avoid too much heat soak from the exhaust.

shnazzle

Good point. I assume that's where everyone puts it haha.

The only other solution I think I saw once that I liked was the stock airbox removed and replaced by a carbon fibre canister with a direct feed from the stock pipe that runs along the nearside rear wing.

So basically just replacing the stock airbox for a cone with heat-protective casing. Nice way to get a bit more roar while keeping all the stock pipes and easily accessible filter.
...neutiquam erro.

loadswine

We could do with a decent supplier of the Apexi filter. They were always excellent in the past.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

tfmorton

Lets be honest - we all know cone filters don't improve performance and they let in more fine particles. The only reason for fitting a cone filter is induction noise :)

shnazzle

Quote from: tfmorton on March  2, 2018, 21:50
Lets be honest - we all know cone filters don't improve performance and they let in more fine particles. The only reason for fitting a cone filter is induction noise :)
That's what I keep saying! :)

But the noise is rather glorious...
...neutiquam erro.

steeleyscoot

Quote from: shnazzle on January 18, 2018, 08:36
Good point. I assume that's where everyone puts it haha.

The only other solution I think I saw once that I liked was the stock airbox removed and replaced by a carbon fibre canister with a direct feed from the stock pipe that runs along the nearside rear wing.

So basically just replacing the stock airbox for a cone with heat-protective casing. Nice way to get a bit more roar while keeping all the stock pipes and easily accessible filter.

Can you recall the carbon canister solution you saw please? Only I'm after a setup that gives me the 'sound effect' without sacrificing too much performance by way of flow.

shnazzle

Sorry I cannot. Might have been a custom jobbie. Easiest way to add roar is to remove the pipe behind the nearside rear light. It essentially turns it into a cone filter
...neutiquam erro.

dan944

I have a BMC CDA that is, IMO, the nuts. if a tad expensive.

it used to be routed to the original position but since moved behind the battery and you can just about get it in.

if i can work out how to put pics up ill find some.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

swinglow81

I had the same as Dan but not got the car no more so can't upload a pic I'm afraid

dan944

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Tags: