Lower suspension arm

Started by ElaineG, January 17, 2018, 18:35

ElaineG

I'm trying to get hold of a pair, can get the right hand only. been told that the left hand side is obsolete! has anyone else had this?

Carolyn

That's what dealers say when they can't be bothered to try a bit.  Strictly speaking many parts for our cars are 'obsolete', meaning they are no longer in production, which is very different from not in stock, somewhere.  I'm sure, with a bit of your own searching, you'll find what you need.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JoeCool

Edit: Sorry, it appears you wanted Front lower arms, I mis-read and my post below is about rear suspension arms.

Do you mean the straight metal one with the shackle both ends, or the metal one with the shackle one end and balljoint the other?

Honestly, I'd just get a scrapyard one if it's to get a car back on the road. Failing that GT4-play do refurbished ones with poly bushes in for about £150 a set, so get those. I promise you won't notice any adverse effects from simply fitting polybushed arms in place of ancient ones.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Joesson

FEBI BILSTEIN Track Control Arm Front Axle Left (also right), Sheet Steel
Similar to
TOYOTA (4806919155)
TOYOTA (4806919156)

From buycarparts.co.uk

ca £185 !!

Hope that is a start

ElaineG

Thanks for the replies, mine has just had an MOT. It passed but he said they were a bit perished. will replace when the weather gets warmer.

HRVMR2

We share the same front lower control arms as a yaris right?

JoeCool

Quote from: "HRVMR2"We share the same front lower control arms as a yaris right?
Apparently so. I got mine from the US listed as for a Scion xA or xB,  under £100 the pair shipped. Identical to the UK Toyota part.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Bossworld

Quote from: "HRVMR2"We share the same front lower control arms as a yaris right?

I asked recently and no one's quite sure. The scion ones mentioned have been proven a match but I think some folk were able to use a Yaris bush but not the actual wishbones.

J03

Wow you're not kidding, after a quick search these seem to have obscenely shot up in price!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

If you can do some digging, the blueprint part numbers are as follows;

ADT38685C Left
ADT38684C Right
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

Essex2Visuvesi

m https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351007624127 m
Still the cheapest place to buy them I have found even with the duty

I believe Carolyn bought a set of these

andyroo104

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351007624127
Still the cheapest place to buy them I have found even with the duty

I believe Carolyn bought a set of these

The same ones as I purchased for mine, arrived quickly and superb quality, definitely recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Carolyn

Yes, I did buy a set.  They were so cheap compared to UK prices, I decided to get them and leave them wrapped up in the original plastic and stick them on the shelf for when I will need them.  I've been doing that for various parts that will be very hard to get in a few years' time.  I've done this for a few of the parts that are unique to the Roadster.
I intend to keep my MR S long-term, so it makes sense for me.
The A arms are identical to the ones on our cars.  They were here in less than a week, as I recall.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Only 2 left on that site now, I subscribe to Carolyn's philosophy.
I'll be adding a new subframe to my shelf once my 2017 bonus comes through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Essex2Visuvesi

I have one here that's repairable so had it media blasted and just needs welding up now.  Was going to repair and sell it but on reading this I think its hoarding time lol

gazza1286

Hi All

Just had an advisory on the MOT for the front offside wishbone (rear bush). Two options available:

(i) Replace bush only or
(ii) Source complete wishbone (or pair).

I could probably do the first option but as spares are now becoming an issue I think I may go for the second option as UK prices are now rediculous!

The US ebays seller linked above still has stock but doesn't seem to ship to the UK??? The eBay messaging system doesn't allow me to contact them to clarify. How did others who have bought from him overcome this?? Has his shipping policy changed or were you able to contact him to negotiate postage? - if so how much extra did he charge? etc...

Many thanks

Bossworld

Quote from: gazza1286 on June  5, 2019, 12:30
Hi All

Just had an advisory on the MOT for the front offside wishbone (rear bush). Two options available:

(i) Replace bush only or

I could probably do the first option but as spares are now becoming an issue I think I may go for the second option as UK prices are now rediculous!

The US ebays seller linked above still has stock but doesn't seem to ship to the UK??? The eBay messaging system doesn't allow me to contact them to clarify. How did others who have bought from him overcome this?? Has his shipping policy changed or were you able to contact him to negotiate postage? - if so how much extra did he charge? etc...

Many thanks

I fitted the Yaris ones over the winter break, cost me about £38 the pair I think (there was an eBay 15% off some sellers voucher).

Others on that Facebook group have also reported success.

Seen some comments here recently querying whether the bushes in the wishbones are the same standard as required for the MR2 - bear in mind that the Scion xA is the US equivalent of the XP10 Yaris.

So IMO, it's either OEM toyota at hundreds of pounds, or your choice of seller for Yaris/Scion parts.

Call the midlife!

Many people have had good results using Yaris wishbones, if you search them on here you should find all the information.
They're considerably cheaper but some have questioned the bushes and whether they're as well rated as the MR2 ones.
No long term users giving feedback yet.

gazza1286

Quote from: Bossworld on June  5, 2019, 13:14
Hi All

(i) Replace bush only or

Many thanks

I fitted the Yaris ones over the winter break, cost me about £38 the pair I think (there was an eBay 15% off some sellers voucher).

Seen some comments here recently querying whether the bushes in the wishbones are the same standard as required for the MR2 - bear in mind that the Scion xA is the US equivalent of the XP10 Yaris.

So IMO, it's either OEM toyota at hundreds of pounds, or your choice of seller for Yaris/Scion parts.

If the Yaris wishbones work I would go with them. Do you have a link or have I just got to buy a one to fit a 2004 yaris? The comment earlier in the thread seems to suggest some doubt over the Yaris wishbones fitting... I'm not on Facebook so couldn't follow that discussion.

I've cross-matched the part number (TAB-435) of the rear bush only and that fits both the MR2 and the Yaris...

What about the ball joint? is the one supplied on the 'Yaris assembly' the same as the MR2?

Many thanks

Call the midlife!

Hi All

(i) Replace bush only or

Many thanks

We must've been typing at the same time.

Bossworld

Quote from: gazza1286 on June  5, 2019, 13:25
Hi All

(i) Replace bush only or

Many thanks

If the Yaris wishbones work I would go with them. Do you have a link or have I just got to buy a one to fit a 2004 yaris? The comment earlier in the thread seems to suggest some doubt over the Yaris wishbones fitting... I'm not on Facebook so couldn't follow that discussion.

I've cross-matched the part number (TAB-435) of the rear bush only and that fits both the MR2 and the Yaris...

What about the ball joint? is the one supplied on the 'Yaris assembly' the same as the MR2?

Many thanks

Just needs to be the same year as the MR2 (or the same era, to be specific ). So first gen Yaris. I used these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332659560803

There's a fairly epic thread on here detailing mine and another member's battle with getting pieces of old arm off.

Couldn't tell you about bush specs sorry, but they fit my car fine, and as above, some in depth Googling shows that the Scion cars listed multiple times on these forums are based on the same era Yaris as per the linked wishbones. Therefore other than manufacturer differences, I don't believe there is difference between items listed for Yaris XP10/Scion xA/Scion xB.

If someone has the time or inclination they can search to see if the genuine Scion part numbers cross reference the MR2 - I don't think they do other than the well known eBay listing.

gazza1286

Thanks for the information. In anticipation I've freed all of the control arm bolts and the drop link nuts. I must have been lucky as they all came off without issue. The Yaris option is certainly my planned route. Ordering the parts tomorrow...

Tags: