Switch for disabling the passenger airbag

Started by nougatti, January 24, 2018, 16:34

nougatti

I've bought a switch assembly from the US, and it seems any Toyota-key will turn it. So far so good.
Now, how is it hooked up over the glovebox? Took the glove box out and looked up there but saw no wires in the vicinity of where the switch assembly should sit.
Do anyone have any insight to this? Looking to fit a forward facing child seat in the car.
My local Toyota-dealer said they can disable the airbag for me, but it would be permanent (which I don't want).

Also, here's a few pics of my recent purchase (last weekend). I'm new here!

[ ] 2000 Toyota MR2 (1ZZ-FE with catless exhaust manifold)
[ ] 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in hybrid
  • 2003 Lexus IS200 SportCross (1GFE)
  • 1996 Toyota Corolla Xli (4EFE)

Bossworld

What stage is the child seat?

I've had a posting on a child seat group on Facebook (the inability to turn off the airbag was mentioned) and was advised to move the seat as far back as possible.  That was when discussing a group 1, and I'm now going to be using a group 2/3 high back booster.

The other discussion centred on old forum postings suggesting that retrofitting the switch seemingly didn't guarantee it wouldn't fire.

Sorry that may not answer your question but I'll try and dig out the info and links.

nougatti

I am not familiar with "stages" or "groups" but my daughter is 2 years and 8 months old and she sits forward facing.
The old forum postings about the switch seemed to me like they were talking about MAKING a switch and jerry-rigging a system for turning it off and on. I've bought a genuine one that I was hoping could be fitted in line with how it was on the stock USDM cars.

delhusband

Nice pics by the way. Like the wheels, what are they? See you have an appropriate tyre choice  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

Bossworld

Quote from: "nougatti"I am not familiar with "stages" or "groups" but my daughter is 2 years and 8 months old and she sits forward facing.
The old forum postings about the switch seemed to me like they were talking about MAKING a switch and jerry-rigging a system for turning it off and on. I've bought a genuine one that I was hoping could be fitted in line with how it was on the stock USDM cars.

'Group one' seat then I would think (with its own harness?).

This may be the link you've already seen but it seemed to have the most thorough discussion on it and a comparison of the part numbers in countries where the proper switch was available.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33964 l

nougatti

Quote from: "delhusband"Nice pics by the way. Like the wheels, what are they? See you have an appropriate tyre choice  s:) :) s:)
Thanks! The wheels are "MSW 85" in matt gunmetal grey. Simple 6x15 wheels in all four corners.
I *think* MSW is a cheap sub-brand of OZ Wheels. They were the cheapest option for me when I had to buy a set of winter tyres for the car.
Tyres are Nokian Hakkapeliita 8 (185/55/R15 all around).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nasos38

Hi nugatti ,

did you finally manage to connect the switch???

Tags: