Squeaky Clutch

Started by MR2Adam, February 7, 2018, 18:00

MR2Adam

Im sure everyone (in my mind) as heard of the squeaky clutch problem the MK3's have.

Have had my car for 4 months now and it's starting to get embarrassing... No issues with the clutch at all and it's coming from the rear of the car so I presume it's the linkage. So is there anyway it can be told to shut up?

Chilli Girl

I've noticed this past week that Foxy has exactly the same issue, it's sounds as if the squeak is coming from the actual footwell rather than outside.  It's driving me nuts at the moment too!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Bossworld

Quote from: MR2Adam on February  7, 2018, 18:00
Im sure everyone (in my mind) as heard of the squeaky clutch problem the MK3's have.

Have had my car for 4 months now and it's starting to get embarrassing... No issues with the clutch at all and it's coming from the rear of the car so I presume it's the linkage. So is there anyway it can be told to shut up?
There are quite a few 1ZZ posts around the web that advise applying grease to where the slave rod meets the fork, then a little further up, on the pivot part of the fork.

Access isn't particularly great (even on ramps/stands) IMO, and unfortunately for me, having removed the fork boot from the housing, and slipped the boot off the end of the clutch slave, I can't quite get them back on.  It's only £18 for a new slave, so given the rust on mine tempted to remove the slave, which should give a little bit more room to play with the fork boot, and fit the new slave with the boot already attached. Knowing me I'd still find some way to balls it up mind.

Not a 1zz but the same design and theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGF_NwrKbU

Re: The post above - there are definitely some folk who've reported a squeak from the pedal, but mine's the problem in the video and clearly audible under that end of the car :/

MR2Adam

Quote from: Bossworld on February  7, 2018, 18:47
Quote from: MR2Adam on February  7, 2018, 18:00

There are quite a few 1ZZ posts around the web that advise applying grease to where the slave rod meets the fork, then a little further up, on the pivot part of the fork.

Access isn't particularly great (even on ramps/stands) IMO, and unfortunately for me, having removed the fork boot from the housing, and slipped the boot off the end of the clutch slave, I can't quite get them back on.  It's only £18 for a new slave, so given the rust on mine tempted to remove the slave, which should give a little bit more room to play with the fork boot, and fit the new slave with the boot already attached. Knowing me I'd still find some way to balls it up mind.

Not a 1zz but the same design and theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGF_NwrKbU

Re: The post above - there are definitely some folk who've reported a squeak from the pedal, but mine's the problem in the video and clearly audible under that end of the car :/
That gives me a really good idea as to what the issue is or could be. Think it's going to be one of those jobs to do when fixing another job...
Cheers mate

Chilli Girl

Thanks for video but I don't think I'm upto do this.  Can anyone recommend somewhere preferably nearby who could do this for me and not knacker my clutch in doing so!  ;D  I don't really want to go to a Toyota dealer and get stung for 3 hours labour!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

StuC

Steve@D1 is an obvious choice. Albeit a little far away. ;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

lamcote

Mine started doing it but cured itself after a few weeks, maybe worth waiting? 
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Chilli Girl

Quote from: lamcote on February  8, 2018, 19:07
Mine started doing it but cured itself after a few weeks, maybe worth waiting?
Funny you should say that, I left work and never heard it for about 4 miles. As soon as I arrived in heavy queues, stop, start, hence a lot of clutch work, the noise came back.  Weird?

Blackbox

I had to get a helper to confirm that the noise was coming from the rear rather than the pedal. 

I managed to fix mine without removing the slave cylinder.  I used spray grease with a straw.  I pushed the straw down inside the rubber boot (being careful not to loose the straw) and squirted.

It worked instantly and it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.
BlackBox

Bossworld

I see I posted earlier in the thread. Changing clutch (and the garage greasing all parts as appropriate) fixed mine. I did finally get both seals back in place prior to that, the trick to the slave boot seems to be rolling the outer edge in on itself, offering it up to the lip and it'll then roll back on properly.

Fin

I know mine had the annoying squeak/groan when I depressed the pedal. I would have sworn yellow was custard that it was coming from the pedal!
After some reading on here, I found that the normal culprits were the cylinder or the fork pivot.
I cleaned and greased both of these when I changed the clutch, and all noises etc disappeared completely.
The original How-To's seem to have disappeared, and I wouldn't recommend changing a clutch yourself, unless you really
have to do it.
Thew closest I can find is from a ridiculously clean Celica (very similar under there, apart from all the oil and dirt mine is covered in!).

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-corolla-9th-gen-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/668953-diy-2003-2008-corolla-matrix-pontiac-vibe-squeaky-clutch-noise-fix-pics.html
Hope this is of some use...
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Bossworld

Quote from: Fin on July 16, 2018, 20:28
I know mine had the annoying squeak/groan when I depressed the pedal. I would have sworn yellow was custard that it was coming from the pedal!
After some reading on here, I found that the normal culprits were the cylinder or the fork pivot.
I cleaned and greased both of these when I changed the clutch, and all noises etc disappeared completely.
The original How-To's seem to have disappeared, and I wouldn't recommend changing a clutch yourself, unless you really
have to do it.
Thew closest I can find is from a ridiculously clean Celica (very similar under there, apart from all the oil and dirt mine is covered in!).

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-corolla-9th-gen-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/668953-diy-2003-2008-corolla-matrix-pontiac-vibe-squeaky-clutch-noise-fix-pics.html
Hope this is of some use...

Reckon it's worth hiring a 2/4 post ramp for this cleanup/greasing?   Found a place down in Washington that lets you borrow workshop space for £21 an hour.   Last time on my small ramps/axle stands I managed to get the clutch slave unbolted but didn't have enough room to swing a cat and have a proper look.

Also slightly concerned about the clutch fork springs mentioned in the article, anything to note?

Had my clutch changed, was squeak free for about 3 months and now it's really pissing me off lol

Ozzy

Mine's been doing this for like 5-6 months now  >:(

Kinda funny sometimes... reminds me of a squeak toy. My solution is to turn up the songs when it gets annoying lol.

Bossworld

Quote from: ossy on November  7, 2018, 02:48
Mine's been doing this for like 5-6 months now  >:(

Kinda funny sometimes... reminds me of a squeak toy. My solution is to turn up the songs when it gets annoying lol.

I can't work out if it's making my clutch heavier in operation as a result.  Probably because I can't remember how bad it was pre-change, but still...

Ozzy

It's funny you say that because I thought mine felt heavier also since the squeaking started.

My clutch does need changing soon as its starting to slip sometimes. If anything, would have thought it would be even lighter because if this.

Tags: