Daytime running lights.

Started by Call the midlife!, February 13, 2018, 17:53

Call the midlife!

Does anyone with more familiarity with the cars than me know why there are relays and fuses marked up on the wiring diagrams for Daytime Running Lights?
The diagram I was looking at was for a left hooker so is it for the European market that requires sidelights on in daylight, rather than the more modern "DRL".?
Just curious if it could be used to switch the modern, LED applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

SteveJ

All of the knock-off copies of the BGB manuals are from the U.S. - hence left-hookers and DRLs

Call the midlife!

Quote from: SteveJ on February 14, 2018, 15:11
All of the knock-off copies of the BGB manuals are from the U.S. - hence left-hookers and DRLs
Yeah, it's not technically a "knock off" just one I stumbled across online before I'd even bought my 2.
I've never seen one with extra lights so I'm assuming it's just to bring the sidelights on with the ignition.

2 of the left

Bought my DRL's from hamspeed - Fitted into the foglight housings ( Facelift ) - Following the supplied wiring instructions - the DRL's burn on ignition and are cancelled when switching to headlights dipped - To have dipped/main beam burning plus DRL's  at the same time - the fogs need to be switched on from the fog switch on the dash (illegal unless in foggy conditions)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: 2 of the left on February 14, 2018, 21:10
Bought my DRL's from hamspeed - Fitted into the foglight housings ( Facelift ) - Following the supplied wiring instructions - the DRL's burn on ignition and are cancelled when switching to headlights dipped - To have dipped/main beam burning plus DRL's  at the same time - the fogs need to be switched on from the fog switch on the dash (illegal unless in foggy conditions)
Yeah, mine are aftermarket LEDs fitted (illegally) in the vents in my PFL bumper but go off (as per the law) when I turn dipped beam on.
I just wondered if the relay and fuses were there anyway they could be used to control/power the aftermarket lights.
It's a regular question cropping up for how to install them etc, or folk could just read the instructions on the box like wot I did...

2 of the left

Only have DRL's fitted to my facelift - my pfl fusebox arrangement I've not checked for relays!! :-\

SteveJ

U.S. daytime running lights include amber side markers not just the front side-lights. The wiirimg isn't present in non-U.S. cars.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: 2 of the left on February 14, 2018, 21:31
Only have DRL's fitted to my facelift - my pfl fusebox arrangement I've not checked for relays!! :-\
Me neither and I've got the diagram showing where they are [emoji23], I'm happy with mine as they are. I've never measured an FL but I'd be surprised if the halo DRL are strictly legal.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: SteveJ on February 14, 2018, 22:07
U.S. daytime running lights include amber side markers not just the front side-lights. The wiirimg isn't present in non-U.S. cars.
I'm going to look just out of curiosity next time I've got the glovebox out as the relay is up under there somewhere.

2 of the left

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 14, 2018, 22:20
I'm going to look just out of curiosity next time I've got the glovebox out as the relay is up under there somewhere.

Halo DRL's are perfectly legal - HID in main array are not  ( For our 2's )

Call the midlife!

Quote from: 2 of the left on February 14, 2018, 22:52
Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 14, 2018, 22:20

Halo DRL's are perfectly legal - HID in main array are not  ( For our 2's )
It's their actual position in the bumper I mean, not having had the chance to take the measurements, just going by eye.

Enjay

I'm thinking of adding DRLs to my car.  I've seen people suggesting that a good power supply for them is a blue and white wire on the wiper motor.  I've already got a normally-on relay that I can wire to the blue/white wire for a power supply and I can wire the other terminal to the regular lights to switch off the DRLs when the main lights are on.  However, I have some questions:

Normally, if I am wiring additional components (fog lamps, driving lamps, etc) I would expect to use a normally-off relay.  I would take a power feed from somewhere like the regular lighting circuit to switch the relay on and then a completely new power supply (that gets switched on by the relay) to actually supply power to the new accessory.  i.e. the only additional load on the existing circuit is the current needed to switch the relay and the power for the accessory itself would come from its own supply. 

DRLs are a bit different because they are always on by default.  It also seems that most people just put an inline fuse into the wire that they splice to the blue/white wiper motor wire and then use it as the main power supply for the DRLs.  This obviously puts additional load on the existing circuit.  My main question is, is this OK?  My guess is that LED DRLs don't draw much power so the additional load on the circuit is negligible?

In addition, I'm interested in what the blue/white source wire is for.  I assume that it's a power supply of some sort for the wiper motor but I'd also like to know which fuse it is connected to in the car fuse box (just in case things mess up and I blow a fuse).

If anyone can help with the above it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. :)

Call the midlife!

With the ignition turned on, current flows to TERMINAL 17 of the front wiper and washer SW, TERMINAL 2 of the front wiper motor through the WIPER fuse and TERMINAL 2 of the washer motor through the WASHER fuse.

Enjay

Thanks. So, the blue/white wire that people use is the one on terminal 2 of the wiper motor as per the above situation and it is attached to the wiper fuse?

The wiper fuse appears to be number 13 in the internal instrument panel fuse box diagram on this page. Correct?

Call the midlife!

All I can confirm is that I checked for power with the ignition on and used the blue and white wire that was showing 12v. I've had no issues with it while using the leds.

Tags: