Silver 2004 FL (the 'not a project')

Started by McMr2, February 13, 2018, 18:11

McMr2

Nothing ground breaking here but I'm amazed at how the little jobs start to stack up and I wanted to keep a record, so here goes.

Bought in 2016 my car is a 2004 FL, Silver with aircon and black leather. First roadster and haven't looked back since!

It turns out I am owner number 9. The condition of the car was generally good so this didn't put me off.
A test drive revealed a slipping clutch, at which point I was ready to walk away. However, a deal was done that included two new tyres, handbrake cables, a new clutch, a year's ticket and (as it happened) 2xO2 sensors.

The history seemed to have had a 25k mile sabbatical, but it didn't seem to be burning oil and there were only a few things that I thought would need immediate attention. The history did show a recent water pump and new radiator which was a bonus.

First jobs were:

-Cleaned throttle body and removed slack from the cable.
-Toyo T1r's all round (went for 195/50/15 and 225/40/16)
-Replaced front discs and pads (old ones were...err...less than ideal)
-Air filter
-Spark Plugs
-Oil (5w30) and filter
-Replaced gearbox oil. This was a concern as when I opened the filling plug/hole fluid came gushing out. Somehow there was between 2.5-3L in there. I'm unsure if this has led to a subsequent weeping from one of the seals (on the list of things to do).
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

McMr2

Minor interior tweaks, mostly just a good clean.
I took out the rubber mounting bushes on the cage which has made a small difference to the feel of the shift (which still isn't great).
Obligatory knob shot.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

delhusband

Cracking pics (except the discs  :) ), looks mint
Hate pointy animals

McMr2

Quote from: delhusband on February 13, 2018, 18:40
Cracking pics (except the discs  :) ), looks mint

Cheers Del, it's amazing what a cheap phone camera can hide!
Have been watching your thread with interest, looks like you've put some graft into yours.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

StuC

I admire your willing spirit that this will not be a project car...

... and that 3 posts in, here is a mod! ;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

McMr2

Quote from: StuC on February 13, 2018, 18:47

I knew it wouldn't be any other way Stu, but it made it easier to justify at the time  ;)
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

McMr2

The tyres improved the handling but the struts felt like they had lost their edge.

Result (this was about a year ago):

-Copious amounts of black hammerite on suspension arms.
-Top mounts removed, repainted and greased.
-Tein S Tech springs and new KYB struts
-Replaced rear droplinks.
-New strut boots all round.
-Subframe cut/welded/sealed.

2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

8thumpers

s12vea

Another one won't hurt  .....

StuC

Quote from: McMr2 on February 13, 2018, 18:54
Quote from: StuC on February 13, 2018, 18:47

I knew it wouldn't be any other way Stu, but it made it easier to justify at the time  ;)

Glad to see you have passed the denial stage. 😀
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

McMr2

Fast forward a year...

Pre-cat anxiety got the better of me. There was no indication of damage but out they came in brittle white chunks. New gaskets for good measure.

Still on the list:

-Roof ears are letting the side down.
-Slight weep from one of the driveshaft seals.
-Brake fluid.
-Replace the drive/serpentine belt.
-Drive the nuts off it once the snow/ice/grit clears
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

McMr2

Once the springs had a few hundred miles under their belt.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

McMr2

Mostly been enjoying driving it with the long hot summer. 3 of the wheels were leaking air quite badly so I swapped out all 4. Running 16s all round now with a bit more offset, but the wheels are also a good bit lighter than the factory wheels.

2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

McMr2

Budget exhaust build. Standard cat pipe remains and the rest built with off the shelf parts. This is version 1, fettling and seeing how it is to live with before welding.

Performance wise I couldn't say it has made a huge change, other than subjectively the car feels less laboured higher up the rev range. Nice to have a bit more of a soundtrack with the roof down.

Either way I'm safe in the knowledge that it completely undermines the diligent design and development work of the original engineers, particularly those with a focus on NVH.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

thetyrant

Interesting build on the exhaust, i guessing thats quite loud with what looks quite a small silencer ?   pipework size have you gone upto 2.5" or stuck with stock size ? 

Im about to do a very similar project and build my own silencer probably using Jetex or other universal parts but i need it quiet as a i can just want to make a slightly better noise without upsetting neighbours or trackday noise limits, also reduce restriction for future engine power upgrade.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

McMr2

Quote from: thetyrant on May 31, 2019, 11:07
Interesting build on the exhaust, i guessing thats quite loud with what looks quite a small silencer ?   pipework size have you gone upto 2.5" or stuck with stock size ? 

Im about to do a very similar project and build my own silencer probably using Jetex or other universal parts but i need it quiet as a i can just want to make a slightly better noise without upsetting neighbours or trackday noise limits, also reduce restriction for future engine power upgrade.

In current form it's slightly louder than I'd like, but relatively civilised if driven sympathetically.

Sound is subjective to an extent but I wanted to avoid a hollow/rattly sound. Has a nice rasp when it revs out, but is understandably boomy in certain situations.

I may add a second small silencer but as I don't do many motorway miles it's not a big issue.

Pipes are stainless 2.25" - in the absence of proper calculations I thought that would be more than adequate for a standard 1zz.

I'd like to replace the swaged pipe at the top once I'm happy for a smoother run.

2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

thetyrant

Quote from: McMr2 on May 31, 2019, 12:20
Quote from: thetyrant on May 31, 2019, 11:07

In current form it's slightly louder than I'd like, but relatively civilised if driven sympathetically.

Sound is subjective to an extent but I wanted to avoid a hollow/rattly sound. Has a nice rasp when it revs out, but is understandably boomy in certain situations.

I may add a second small silencer but as I don't do many motorway miles it's not a big issue.

Pipes are stainless 2.25" - in the absence of proper calculations I thought that would be more than adequate for a standard 1zz.

I'd like to replace the swaged pipe at the top once I'm happy for a smoother run.

Spot on thanks for info, where did you get the parts from to build looks decent enough kit ?

2.25" Bore size is fine for flow from stock 1zz n/a motor and from calculations ive found on the net should be no restriction until around 185hp, im thinking of building mine in 2.5" as that should be good for around 230hp as i would like either 2zz swap or rotrex on 1zz in future so only want to build silencer once, here is a handy website with some calcs on exhaust sizing etc i found for anyone interested and seems to make sense, although ive not checked any of his calcs as my brain hurts if i try lol  - https://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/

I would be looking to build a custom catpipe in future as well if i do engine swap but for now silencer is main thing.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Tags: