Recent posts

Hi all, my 2001 MR2 struggles to restart when upto temperature.
It is fine if you immediately start it or leave it for 20 mins or so, it seems like its not getting fuel through, any ideas?
Nice one Alex, so 200 psi I could have fantastic compression rings but the oils are naff.

It burns a ridiculous amount, Mot next so hope it gets through emissions.
Performance Related / Re: Extended Wheel Studs
Last post by Alex Knight - April 23, 2024, 21:18
@Dave Angel

The above post about aftermarket wheels is nothing to do with 'caps'.

It's about the mounting face of the nut.

OEM wheels require a flat face mount, most aftermarket wheels require a tapered mount.
Pistons have compression rings AND oil control rings.

They do different jobs.
I have been restoring my 2 lately and I'm nearing the end but I burn oil and sometimes hear an odd engine noise so I thought I'd try a compression test.

All of my results were between 200 and 204 psi I've not seen readings this high before what are people's thoughts? I was using a new pressure tester, accelerator fully pressed

Could this be so good it's bad?
Reader's Rides / Re: '01 Silver - The daily com...
Last post by jvanzyl - April 23, 2024, 20:51
More fuel in.
Primed the turbo and attached it.

No dice.

Tomorrow I'll remove the turbo again and get hot air and then try again.

Performance Related / Re: Extended Wheel Studs
Last post by Dave Angel - April 23, 2024, 19:47
Quote from: steveash on April 23, 2024, 09:07Mtec sell some on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284898392568

I can't vouch for quality but their brake disks are popular and I've had no problems with them.

By the way, if you are using after market wheels you might need to change your wheel nuts to the tapered type rather than the stock Toyota flat shouldered ones.

Thanks for the reply - they look the best option at the moment for size - will use my mate's press to avoid stetching where poss as well.

Noted on the wheel nuts - actually by original I meant the ones that came with the wheels so good to fit. Do have a 'cap' though so would need open ended ones if I was to use longer studs....
Last post by jvanzyl - April 23, 2024, 14:43
Quote from: Carolyn on April 23, 2024, 13:41I think you need to prime the turbo and its hoses with coolant, making sure they are full.  Then connect it into the rest of the system.

I will try that. I meant to when i just tried again, but for whatever reason didn't... must admit I've had enough of coolant for a loooong time..
Last post by Carolyn - April 23, 2024, 13:41
I think you need to prime the turbo and its hoses with coolant, making sure they are full.  Then connect it into the rest of the system.

Last post by jvanzyl - April 23, 2024, 13:35
Sooooo...

I tested the turbo coolant lines, basically poured coolant down one end and managed to get stuff out the other.

I HAD nice heat coming out from the heaters... I then took off the coolant by the engine and attached one end of the turbo. Nothing came out after quite a bit of waiting... laid it on the side and revved the engine, still nothing! Tried using the other pipe instead, and same story... and back to cold air in the heater.

Something might be wrong with my coolant lines, looks like I'll need to take them off again... not sure really!