Recent posts

Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting / handbrake again
Last post by ucb - April 11, 2024, 19:43
At fuel station. Car out of winter hibernation today. And has not been driven since November (handbrake off).
Pulled the handbrake on and there was a jump and the lever went limp. Was unable to add further tension and release the handbrake. Wouldn't ratchet after that and simply flopped down to the disengaged position and the calipers were clearly engaged to some degree.
Drobe home slowlyand the handbrake now seems to have resolved it's issues. Engages as normal, releases and the car doesn't feel like it's dragging.
I had a binding caliper at the last MOT and I suspect that what's needed here is new cables and rear calipers.
Anyone have any suggestions as to alternativws and also whereabouts can perform such a job? it's not for me in my garage!!
Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting / Re: Car dead
Last post by tomaky - April 11, 2024, 19:38
how new is the battery? often a battery can charge up to a good voltage but have no amperage. If you dont have a tester (cheap of amazon) halfrauds will test for free.
Reader's Rides / Re: '01 Silver - The daily com...
Last post by tets - April 11, 2024, 19:19
Quote from: Joesson on April 11, 2024, 19:10The first time that I changed the coolant it was also on a sloped front drive, but front end down. The next time it was in my garage, rear end elevated thus front end down.
What we need now is for someone to successfully change the coolant on a level surface and then we have empirically proved that the attitude of the car matters not!

Well.... My car is currently on the flat and I'm only 2 or 3 weekends from firing it so I'll give it a go and see what happens!
Last post by Joesson - April 11, 2024, 19:10
Quote from: tets on April 11, 2024, 18:48when I first did mine I hadn't read anything about it so had no idea there could be an issue - I had it on a steep sloped drive front up and it bled first time with no issues.
Hopefully it will be the same this time

The first time that I changed the coolant it was also on a sloped front drive, but front end down. The next time it was in my garage, rear end elevated thus front end down.
What we need now is for someone to successfully change the coolant on a level surface and then we have empirically proved that the attitude of the car matters not!
Last post by tets - April 11, 2024, 18:48
when I first did mine I hadn't read anything about it so had no idea there could be an issue - I had it on a steep sloped drive front up and it bled first time with no issues.
Hopefully it will be the same this time
Last post by Call the midlife! - April 11, 2024, 18:47
Double check the heater control is actually working?
Last post by Gaz mr-s - April 11, 2024, 18:16
Quote from: Newbie57 on April 11, 2024, 17:08Car has a few good runs recently. Battery  is not that old and I have had no issues with leaving it a week before.

Check of alternator output would be a good idea.
Last post by Joesson - April 11, 2024, 17:17
Quote from: Newbie57 on April 11, 2024, 15:20Just tried to start the car and it's completely dead. It's been sitting about a week. Put the charger on the battery  and it goes to maintain.
Any thoughts.

My reading of this is that your charger is telling you that the battery is charged and just needs to maintain that charge.
Do your ignition lights come on? Do your lights come on?
That being the case perhaps the battery is OK and the problem is with the starting circuit.
Last post by Newbie57 - April 11, 2024, 17:08
Car has a few good runs recently. Battery  is not that old and I have had no issues with leaving it a week before.
Last post by Topdownman - April 11, 2024, 17:03
If you havent already tried this, I would also suggest taking off the battery clamps and cleaning the insides and terminals with some fine grit wet and dry. I have had the oxidisation on these areas mean that the car lights would work, but not enough current to turn over the car.