Netz style bar install guide, by Nelix.

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2007, 21:13

Anonymous

First of all a disclaimer- I am not a professional, merely an ungifted amateur. This guide is simply how I installed my Netz style bar and I accept no responsibility  for any damage or accidents you incur if you choose to follow this guide.

This was bought from Japanparts through Spyderchat as members get a discount.
Cost shipped was £200
Customs etc was a further £65
Delivery was about two weeks.

In the box.
One Netz style bar.
Two washers.
One rhs template (no lhs for some strange reason)
One sheet of instructions, in Japanese.  s:? :? s:?  

I strongly suggest that you make a few copies of the template as these are destroyed during use. The rhs template supplied can be used for the lhs by simply turning it upside down.

Tools required.
Large vocabulary of swear words. (optional0
Socket set (13mm socket needed}
Flat blade screwdriver, if needed to prise off plastics.
Drill and 45mm hole saw. I strongly suggest you use a good quality hole saw, i used a cheapo from my drill bit kit and although it cut the first hole perfectly, it chewed the second hole due to being blunt.

Install.

1. Remove the plastic door sill covers, i simply pulled them up from the inside edge and they popped off.

Put them somewhere safe.

2. Using a 13mm socket, undo the lower seat belt mounting bolts behind the seats.

3.Now remove the two  studs at the top of the side pillar plastics by pushing in the centre with a sharpish object and remove the  studs then unclip the side pillar plastics, agan simply by prising off with your fingers or a flat blade scewdriver (covered with a rag) I found the best way to do this was by pulling away from the outside edge. Make sure you find the two white press studs, they may still be in place on the plastic or they may have fallen off.
Keep the two studs and two white press studs from each plastic side panel in a safe place.

You can now feed the lower seat belt bracket through the slot in the plastic panel and remove the panel.

I recommend at this point you reattach the lower seat belt bracket.

Now to fix the style bar. Ensure both seats and seat backs are fully forward and that your wind deflector is in the up position. (with the style bar in place it will stay up from now on.)
One side at a time remove the top seat belt mounting bolt, be careful as you do this as there are various washers which can fall and get lost.

Align the netz bar over the revealed hole, place the supplied washer on top then the seat belt bracket and finally place the bolt and washers you removed through them all and semi tighten.
Repeat for the other side, and once you are happy fully tighten both bolts.

The style bar is now installed, now the difficult part, cutting the plastics.

We now need to drill a hole in each plastic cover for the bar. Using one of your copied templates, cut it out and tape over the plastic panel in the correct position. I also put masking tape on the plastic panel before the cut template to prevent the drill slipping.
Find the centre of the hole in the template and using the 45mm hole saw on the drill at slow speed, carefully drill your hole.
The drilled hole will not fit over the style bar due to the brackets at either end, hence why we have already fitted the bar, so you also need to cut a slit in the plastic panel as shown on the template.

Now thread the lower seat belt bracket back through the slot in the plastic panel and reattach the bracket.
You can now bend the cut on the plastic panel at the hole to allow you to slip it over the style bar, if the two stud holes align and the panel clicks back on, fantastic, if not look and see which part of the hole needs to be enlarged. Simply pull it back off the style bar and carefully sand it by hand to get a good fit.
Now replace all studs on the side panel plastics, clip back into place, replace the two door sill plastics and ensure the lower sealt belt bracket bolts are tight.

Picture of the plastic side panel re installed,

As you can see from the picture above i did not manage a perfect cut of the plastics. My solution was to have to leather rings made by Rhon with a 45mm internal hole. I used double sided tape and made a slit in each to allow them to go over the bar and be stuck around the gaps in the plastics.

Rhon can be contacted via here

This gave a far better finnish, my thanks to Rhon.

This does not interfere with the hardtop fittings, nor do i suspect with the hardtop itself.

Job done!

Tags: