Changing Door Card Material

Started by Anonymous, August 9, 2008, 13:31

Anonymous

After recently changing my seats the red door cards became a little out of place so as usual i thought it would be worth trying to change them myself    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I went along to one of the local coach trimmers and bought an off cut of material to match the seats as near as possible.

OFF CUT + ADHESIVE £10.00

Below is the photo record of how I did it

A SLIGHT MISS MATCH

FOLD BACK TAB AND REMOVE SCREW

PLACE FLAT SCREWDRIVER HERE AND GENTLY LEVER UPWARDS WHILE PUSHING WITH FINGER

THE SAME UNDERNEATH (The cover will easily pop out)

PULL MATERIAL FROM ONE OF THE CORNERS AND PEEL OFF

THIS WILL LEAVE THE OLD BACKING FOAM AND GLUE
AFTER SCRAPING OFF THE OLD FOAM (I used my thumb nail)

CLEAN THE REST OFF WITH WHITE SPIRITS, DON'T WORRY IF IT IS STILL STICKY TO THE TOUCH (Will explain later)

On the back of most material is a number with an arrow showing < (After the "2A")
This is an indication of the "Nap" (Which way the fibres run)

USING THE OLD CLOTH AS A TEMPLATE MARK OUT THE NEW CLOTH (The ruler is just to hold the material for a flat line)

CUT THE EDGES AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE BUT LEAVE ABOUT 2MM SPARE ROUND THE DOOR HANDLE (The original size doesn't leave a margin for error and the excess can be tucked in)

MASK THE EDGE OFF BY ABOUT 10MM (No adhesive needed here)

SPRAY AN EVEN LIGHT COAT OF  IMPACT ADHESIVE ON THE CLOTH

Leave for ten minutes and place in position, there is no need to spray the door card itself as the sticky material left after cleaning is still usable and you can reposition to get the right fit without any bother

I TUCKED IN THE EDGES USING MY MORRISONS POINTS CARD (It wasn't as stiff as a credit card)

LIKE THE CAR IT WAS GOOD ON CORNERS

RE FIT THE HANDLE AND THAT'S IT

BETTER THAN THE RED ME THINKS  s;) ;) s;)  

Les    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Liz

Looks good - loving the seats as well  s8) 8) s8)  

Just a little suggestion - a bit of 3mm leather cord finishes off the edge nicely. Not that it doesn't look nice because it does.

ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Liz

Quote from: "Les"Great idea Liz.

That will hide any slight imperfections in the edging  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Can't take credit for the idea - it was Perrys when he bought around the seats and the door material for me when we were discussing fitting the material.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: