How to remove the dashboard.

Started by custardavenger, January 9, 2010, 15:11

custardavenger

Having done this 3 times now I thought I'd write a walk through. It not a difficult job but some parts are tricky and can be frustrating.

1. Open the roof and disconnect the battery (I didn't but you probably should)

2. To remove steering wheel remove 2 T30 Torx screws from either side of steering wheel (marked with red arrow), once undone pull them out ward with some pliers. This should allow you to pull the airbag forward. On reassembly you will see that the screws clip into the plastic of the steering wheel and then can be pushed into place when the airbag is fitted.

Carefully unplug the airbag and put it somewhere safe.

Unplug the horn (white plug, red arrow)

Remove 19mm nut. With a strong wiggle the wheel should come off.

3. Remove gauge surround by pulling the top to release the clips.

4. Remove 3 screws holding the gauges, remove gauge pod and unplug 3 connectors

5. Remove panel under dash. 2 screws (red arrow) and unclip OBD2  socket. Panel then unclips at top.

6. Remove steering column trim. 1 screw underneath (blue arrow above). 2 screws in front. 2 pieces unclip from each other.

7. Remove wiper and indicator stalks. Unplug connector (rectangle, shown unplugged) then push clip (blue Arrow) and slide out stalk.Same for both stalks.

8. Push out switches from right side of dash and unplug.

9. Remove roof hooks. 2 torx  T40. And pull off plastic trim from side of windscreen (Blue arrow), pull from top. Do the same both sides.

10. Remove glove box. Open, push sides in and remove.

11. Remove L shaped bracket. 1 screw, 10mm bolt. (red arrow pic below)

12. Remove bonnet release. 2 x 8mm bolt. (blue arrow pic below)

13. Remove 1 x 10mm bolt (green arrow pic below), and 1 x 12mm bolt (yellow arrow pic below)

14. Remove 2 x 10mm nuts from air bag (red arrow), second nut the other side is tricky to see.  

15. Unclip wire (red rectangle) and push air bag unit up through dash. Can be tough as it has plastic clips all the way round.

16. Heater control. Pull off 4 knobs (be careful not to loose the small piece of clear plastic from the slider). Remove 2 screws (red arrows). To remove plastic surround pull on bottom to release clips, then the right side and finally the middle until all clips are free. Finally unplug the connector from the clock.

17. Remove 4 screws (red arrows)

18. Remove heater controls. Now comes the worst part of dash removal, this isn't too bad at getting it out but a right pig to get back in. Ease unit from the dash, Remove 3 screws (red arrows), disconnect top cable by sliding it off the post, remove 2 connectors and disconnect lower cable.

19. In gauge hole. Remove 2 screws holding electrics (blue arrows) and tuck the electrics back through the dash. remove 1 x 10mm nut (red arrow)

20. Remove 1 x 10mm bolt from where glove box was (red Arrow)

21. Remove 4 x 10mm bolts, 2 on each side of the dash (red arrows)

22. That should be all the fixings ,you can now carefully remove the dashboard, While doing so make sure nothing gets caught.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Ok please post if I've missed anything.

I will add a few more photo's I forgot to take as well as the torque settings and try and beef up the arrows .
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

inert2k3

Awesome write up Rob - one for the reference section methinks!

Many thanks   s:D :D s:D  

Mohammed
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

muffdan

A word of warning on the roof torx bolts. Be careful! They are tight, and if you slip untightening/tightening them, you could put the handle of a ratchet through the windscreen. That was annoying  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

roger

Quote from: "inert2k3"Awesome write up Rob - one for the reference section methinks!

Rob, moved to reference, but I've left a shadow here, so you can update with that extra info at some time. If you do, and remember, let me/Mod know and we can then delete this.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: