Easy Read Dipstick

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2010, 18:07

Anonymous

OK so with the dark days/evenings making it hard to read my oil dipstick I decided to do something about it so I ordered a shiny new one from Toyota (part no. T15301-22040 £11.34+vat) and bought a couple of 2mm HSS drill bits for 67p each.I then drilled the measuring end at low,1/2 and 3/4 mark,I couldnt drill the full mark as the metal cable inside seems to prevent drilling.

MOD - NathanMR2 - Moved to How To's and tidyed up a little

Jaanus K

Yes it works! Just blow the oil out of the holes and put the dipstick back in to take a measurement. I used 1.5mm drill to make the holes

Quote from: "skirmish"Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if this improvement to the dipstick works. I have great difficulty reading mine and what with the potential oil gobbling problem of the MR2 it makes sense to have every weapon at your disposal to combat it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "skirmish"Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if this improvement to the dipstick works. I have great difficulty reading mine and what with the potential oil gobbling problem of the MR2 it makes sense to have every weapon at your disposal to combat it.

Resurrecting is always better than starting a new thread but yes this works really well,like someone else has said just wipe and blow the oil from the holes when reading.Maybe the mods can sticky this in reference so it doesnt get lost?

Silverman

When I joined the ROC as a MK III owner in 2006, I was aware of difficulties in getting readable/accurate dipstick information.  Although not mentioned on this thread - the problem was that if the dipstick was pushed fully home, readings back, front and on the sides were all over the shop. (As they say oop north.)

At that time many of us in the ROC employed a simple solution.  At the top of the dipwire a plastic handle sat above three rubber (?) rings which seated the dipwire when fully home.  We would note the distance (X) between, say, the middle ring and the top handle stop and then, when dipping the oil, would not insert the wire beyond this point.  On withdrawing the wire, a clean oil level would be apparent around the dipstick, to which ,of course, one had to add the distance (X) for the true final reading.  

Smoke and mirrors if you like, but it worked perfectly well for me for 4 very happy MR2 years.

Best Wishes to all,  S'man
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

shnazzle

WARNING

Please be aware that those who have done this have started experiencing the tips of the dipsticks breaking off due to the stress on the tip when traveling through the dipstick tube.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58782 l

It is currently not recommended to perform this "mod" and drill through the dipstick and compromise its strength.

Some people have taken to filing shallow notches in the side, which is equally effective but may present the same problem, although far less likely.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: