Started by custardavenger, July 5, 2010, 15:52

custardavenger

Ok to start in the kits you should have for front or rear you should have

2 Struts
2 Brackets (1 left 1 right)
4 Ball fixings
2 Nyloc nuts
2 Plain washers
And large washers (6 front kit, 8 Rear kit)

Tools needed
10 + 12mm spanners
Small adjustable spanner
Something to trim the front plastics if fitted, I used a pair of tin snips and a file.
A small amount of grease

The instructions for fitting front and rear are similar so I will do them together.
(if working on the front, remove the plastic under bonnet cover buy pressing in the middle of the clips)

Make up the brackets using 2 ball joints the plain washers and the nylock nuts. Do this in the same orientation as the following pictures (ie rear pointing in, front pointing out)

Rear

Front

Then take the struts and compress them buy putting one end on a piece of wood on the floor and holding the other while pushing down. This is done because the struts have been in the fully extended position and may be stiff to move for the first time.

Now undo the bolt on the wing and screw in the remaining 2 ball joints and the large washers ( 3 washers either side front, 4 either side rear)

Rear

Front

Now working on the other side to the bonnet/engine lid stay loosen the bolts holding the lid to the hinge, take one bolt out and put through the bracket, and screw back in, then do the same with the other bolt. Do up the bolts just enough so the lid will still slide up and down on the bolts. Look behind the bracket and line up the paint mark on the lid with the hinge and tighten bolts.

Apply a small amount of grease to the ball joints. Remove the wire clip from the fat end of the strut (do not lose   s:) :) s:)   ) and clip that end onto the body ball. Replace the wire clip and turn the strut body clockwise to make sure the end fitting is tight.

Now remove the wire clip from the other end and use the adjustable spanner to turn the end fitting clockwise to make sure it's tight and to get the correct orientation for it to clip onto the ball. Clip it on and replace the wire clip.

You should now have a fitted strut that will enable you to remove the stay. in the pictures I have tried to show the angle it needs to be held at to be removed.

Rear

Front

Repeat the same for the other side.

On the front cut 15mm of each side of the rubber strip along the top of the bulkhead. To trim the plastics draw a line as shown in the picture 15mm from edge, and cut along it, clean up edge with a file.

Carefully close the lid and make sure nothing is in the way of the struts or brackets.

If you have any problems or think I have anything wrong please PM me and I will sort it out.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: