Short shifter and gear change questions

Started by AndyM, May 13, 2013, 15:06

Topdownman

I fitted an eBay kit at the weekend, not too bad a job apart from the fixing washer (not sure what they are actually called) on the rear pivot pin for the mechanism- the one you don't get with the kit. This didn't survive being removed so I had to make a temporary one and need to get a new one of these. Does anyone know if this is a MrT part or is it a generic fixing? If youre getting one of these kits, having a new washer ready would definitely speed up the job and may stop your car being stranded while you go to and get a new one.

It is now more positive but a heavier change. I have fitted a weighted gear knob today to try and make it feel lighter (375 gms which I think is about 300 heavier  than the standard one) and I think it does do this but makes the kit more expensive in real terms (£41 plus £20 for the gear knob) so worth bearing in mind?

I still have the same problems with fast changes though so now need to change the linkage bushes.
Andy, where did you get yours from?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Zonda_

Which knob did you get?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

nathanMR2

Sorry to jump in on your thread Andy but im currently in contact with a supplier to see if we can get some 'ROC Spherical kits' made up if people are interested. They should be at least half the price of the ones from the US.

Im hoping to get something through in the next few days. Ill check it on my car first and make sure all is good and get a price on a number of these
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Topdownman

Here's a link to the new gear knob, the dimensions and weight is wrong in the description though but I am pleased with it,

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171019093316? ... 1497.l2649 m

I went for the 5 speed marked one as the 6 speed is the wrong configuration, I will have to look at options such as covering it with leather or sticking a decal on top if I can find a suitable one!

Those bushes sound interesting........
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

ChrisGB

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Sorry to jump in on your thread Andy but I'm currently in contact with a supplier to see if we can get some 'ROC Spherical kits' made up if people are interested. They should be at least half the price of the ones from the US.

I'm hoping to get something through in the next few days. Ill check it on my car first and make sure all is good and get a price on a number of these

Count me in on these if they work out OK.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

onion86

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"Sorry to jump in on your thread Andy but I'm currently in contact with a supplier to see if we can get some 'ROC Spherical kits' made up if people are interested. They should be at least half the price of the ones from the US.

I'm hoping to get something through in the next few days. Ill check it on my car first and make sure all is good and get a price on a number of these

Count me in on these if they work out OK.
Me too, I seem to have lost my Speedsource ones, but I'm sure I saw them about 2 months ago 'somewhere'   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

trevsmr2

Quote from: "Topdownman"I fitted an eBay kit at the weekend, not too bad a job apart from the fixing washer (not sure what they are actually called) on the rear pivot pin for the mechanism- the one you don't get with the kit. This didn't survive being removed so I had to make a temporary one and need to get a new one of these. Does anyone know if this is a MrT part or is it a generic fixing?

Do you mean the speed washer things? not sure on size though

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-starlock- ... 2ebd9fe2a2 m

Topdownman

That looks like the type of thing!

I will have to try and get an accurate measurement.

Thanks for that.

Simon.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

nathanMR2

Details updated here guys...

l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=44471 l
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

ihs61

Hi

I have just bought one of the ebay short shift lever kits, to be honest I am impressed with the quality (for the money) as for the driving experience, I cant comment at the moment.
I understand the TRD ones are vastly superior but so it the price, its hard to justify for a weekend toy, as my wife calls it)

My question is, with the lever I got four aluminium bushes and bolts to replace Mr Ts rubber jobbies for the floor mouting, but also a roll/split pin ?

Before I attack the car with tools, what's this roll pin for ? I do realise that when I start the conversion it will be obvious

Regards Ian

J03

That pin holds the ball joint cap in place, it's rarely needed unless you somehow manage to butcher the original.
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

Topdownman

The fun bit is trying to get the sprung washer off so that you can re-use it! (It should all be reasonably easy to work out what you need to do once the centre console is off and you can see what it looks like).
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

J03

Any probs post up, I just happen to have my gear cage sat here with shortshifter installed so can readily take some reference pics  s;) ;) s;)
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

ihs61

Ah ha, thanks guy's for your info. I'm sure that when I have it in bits - brew in hand, it will be clear. Cheers Ian

Tags: