Rotrex 2zz Roadster - J03's Silver Shed

Started by J03, March 4, 2015, 16:54

J03

Well I've decided to slow the build down so I'm not totally skinting myself in one go. The car is currently SORN'd; exciting stuff!

However, I have a few goodies already built up! Just need a good month of decent weather so I can strip her down properly & fettle/replace anything looking a bit tired/sort rust prone bits etc before her new heart goes in. I'll also be running a 16x7 / 17x8 staggered wheel setup eventually & an aggressive kit combo, but for now I have to concentrate on getting my hands dirty   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

We have all the swap parts sorted (Zero manifold is currently being made up) Plus a lightweight flywheel so she revs a bit quicker. Idea is to run a smaller Rotrex pulley for max low down shove & drop the limiter to compensate up top.

Meister R coilies arrived this week   s:D :D s:D

Plus I've just picked up this Cobra Monaco Pro seat for a steal
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

J03

Managed to make a start with stripping the front end down at the weekend, few pics below. My god, talk about seized bolts, I used the blow torch & grinder more than spanners   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

All the suspension, brakes & liners are out now, I need to remove the wishbones, track rods & knuckles/hubs + any bracing I can. The steering rack could also do with some TLC - bloooody hell, this is turning into a bigger project than I first anticipated!   s:D :D s:D  

Anyway, to help with the refurb I've ordered Whiteline ARBs, new inner/outer track rods, a set of adjustable droplinks, blueprint wishbones & obviously the new Meister R's. Before all that goes on though, I need to attack the underside with a selection of Bilt Hamber treatments....hmmm FUN.

Check out the snapped spring   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Joesson

Welcome. Looks like some good newswork in progress.
Have a look at the underside of the ABS bracket you may find that also needs some TLC.

J03

Hit a snag last night. After managing to shift both castle nuts from the knuckle, I set about removing the drivers side wishbone and the rear most captive nut (you know, the one with zero access)   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  seems to be spinning. After a quick ponder, it looks like there's no option but to cut a small access panel out of the footwell .....   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

In other news, my Whiteline front & rear ARB's have been despatched from Aus, adjustable droplinks should be here tomorrow & new track rod ends have just landed along with some Bilt Hamber Deox Gel + Electrox spray.

tomaky

FL drive shafts are indeed larger diameter than pr fl.

Looks like theres some cracknig goodies going together  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

J03

Quote from: "tomaky"FL drive shafts are indeed larger diameter than pr fl.

Looks like theres some cracknig goodies going together  s:) :) s:)

Cheers for that bud, I have a set lined up   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Plenty of goodies, just need to make a stable platform for it all first!

phaeton

Quote from: "tomaky"FL drive shafts are indeed larger diameter than pr fl.
Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question on this, does that mean if you swap from 5sp to 6sp you need to change the shafts or are the splines at each end same, just larger diameter shafts in middle?

Anonymous

Must be he same as you can swap between boxes without drive shafts

tomaky

Larger diameter same splines.
Westfield Seiw
2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

J03

Started stripping the interior at the weekend & have to say, for a 13 year old motor she's in decent fettle. A few more bits also landed this morning, most impressive of all are the Whiteline ARB's ordered from OZ last Tuesday!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
The Cobra seat should be with me on Saturday & hopefully some rogue mounts as well.

cabbydave

Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "1979scotte"Ask Rich (Rbuckingham) He runs some of the biggest wheels i've seen on a 2 and has Tein coilovers fitted.

Depends on arch exstension or not as I'm on a 9j rim with 35 offset and it on the edge of both arch and strut.
Tiny wheels try 10x 19 with zero off set and 8x19's

J03

New wishbones just landed.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cabbydave"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "1979scotte"Ask Rich (Rbuckingham) He runs some of the biggest wheels i've seen on a 2 and has Tein coilovers fitted.

Depends on arch exstension or not as I'm on a 9j rim with 35 offset and it on the edge of both arch and strut.
Tiny wheels try 10x 19 with zero off set and 8x19's

But its not all about the size Dave, its how you use it as well.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

frootloops

awesome project, tuned in! do you have any pics of your rotrex'd celica? This thread needs to be moved into the performance section too, almost didnt find it.... infact this forum needs a members cars section!

J03

Quote from: "frootloops"awesome project, tuned in! do you have any pics of your rotrex'd celica? This thread needs to be moved into the performance section too, almost didnt find it.... infact this forum needs a members cars section!

Cheers bud  s:) :) s:)  

Pic of the install below, all done by the god that is Lee Mabbett aka Se7en Motorsport & a few shots from when she looked her best. The motor is currently pushing 335bhp & around 230lbft.  

vtifan

should be good,your celica looked nice apart from that huge wart on its ass   s:D :D s:D

J03

Slowly does it with this one, it's become a bit of a restoration project now rather than a straight engine swap.   s:| :| s:|  

Oh well, a few pics just to keep progress up to date. Anything that can be removed from the chassis is now off & either scrapped or awaiting prep (front for now) Hubs are split from the knuckles, knuckles de-rusted & awaiting new hubs, zinc primer & paint. The suspension braces have also been de-rusted & are back to bare metal now.

Got to tackle the steering rack & make a start on the chassis this weekend, hopefully.

Anonymous

Nice work! It's quite crusty under there, good decision for the long term  s:) :) s:)

J03

These looked like scrap a few days ago, got to love this Deox C stuff.

J03

Had a productive day yesterday, managed to pull all the aircon piping & condenser, remove the wings for a good degrease & the steering rack with UJ ready for a bit of tlc. Next task, which is rather daunting if I'm honest, is to start removing all the remaining bits so I can get decent access with the grinder.....I've taken more than a 100 photos for reference   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Sadlebag

What are you doing about  water cooling for when you fit the engine in? The standard rad is a little thin?!?

J03

I'll be fitting the 50mm ally rad from the Celi mate, looking at the dimensions it should fit without too much bother. I'll have a proper measure up tomorrow.

The engine runs a lower temp stat & larger sump already, so hopefully temps won't be an issue.

Amarlborough

Nice build thread,

never heard of Deox c but the results speak for themselves!

Definitely got a few parts which could do with a dunking in it!   s:D :D s:D

J03

It's great stuff. Use the C for making a solution to dip parts, for anything still attached to the car or too large to dip use the gel version.

Here are the steering knuckles tonight after a good dunking (plus wire brush attachments on the grinder) ...and these buggers were really rusty!

J03

I also measured up the ally rad in the Celica & it should fit perfectly, the top mount points are exactly the same. Seeing as the mr2 specific ally rads are hard to find without splashing out on a Mishimoto, you can buy the Celica one instead which is around £120 now.

Tags: