high power 2zz swap by jaworjawor

Started by jaworjawor, May 22, 2015, 20:26

jaworjawor

Hi, I wanted to share with you my project - my 2001 mr2 spyder, currently doing 2zz swap. Word of introduction, I am a huge fan of corolla t-sport, owned prefacelift then facelift which I highly modified and fell in love with 2zz   s:D :D s:D   my previous 2004 cts fl, engine with modified head, pipercams and many many more

Anyway, I decided to sell the car despite it was running perfectly but I wanted something sportier, lighter, more nimble and rear-wheel drive. Couldnt live without 2zz so I started this project:

2001 mr2 spyder, no major damages. 1zz freshly rebuild, oem lsd, tte springs, exhaust, front bumper, a/c and hardtop, a hard to find setup! Right after buying

unfortunately the car was lightly neglected and needed so minor repairs like broken left mirror, matt headlights, broken shock and knocking right driveshaft, one brake caliper stuck, broken electric antenna, took me some time to bring the car back to its glourious state   s8) 8) s8)  then started little modifications:

quickshifter

lightweight car radio with bt

new aerial

lightweight car battery and moved to the front of the car, greatly improved car balance! the mass distribution went from 44/56 to 45/55, highly recommend

new geometry to fit 15x7 et25 wheels, front camber -3.0, rear -2,5

federal tires, 195/205

Now for the fun part  - 2zz swap  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
I built my c60/c64 gearbox hybrid,  sshit shit sshit er shaft modified out of mr2 shaft and corolla shaft, it works. Oem mr2 lsd and longer ratio 0,725 6th gear for reduced cruising rpm (stock is 0.815)

bridge mount measured and modified out of corolla part

front and rear mount strenghtened with polyurethane

Now for the engine, tha plan :
-pipercams stage 2 camshafts + eibach valve springs
-knife-edged and dynamically balanced crankshaft (12 kg vs stock 14,5)
-enlightened and balanced flywheel (4,5kg vs 7)
-enlightened and balanced stock rods
-oem pistons brought to balance weight
-oem oil pump, gaskets, seals, studs ets. main bearings oem toyota, conrods bearings acl
-1zz oil pan, oil pick-up lowered
-fully p&p head, new valve seats and seals, head skimmed to 11.9:1 cr
-header and manifold fully p&p
-oil cooler
-straight through exhaust
-fujita air filter

the parts:
1zz pan

lightweight flywheel

eibach evs springs

jdm celica ecu

fujita

exhaust, in parts yet

pipercams stage 2 camshafts

knife-edged crankshaft and rods

pistons, they didnt weight all the same (brand new!) so neede a little balancing

engine block

the build begins

will continue   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Serious work. Impressive. Can't wait to see how it pans out!

Sadlebag

Holy smokes that was one way to start a thread!!!

Ardent

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

puma2

cor blimey gov  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   impressive to say the least.  s:D :D s:D  
let us no who you get on  s:) :) s:)

ChrisGB

Nice work!
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

yiug412

This is amazing! Can't wait to see the result

doodlepugg

Now THAT is how you build a 2ZZ roadster. Very impressive, and if I had the funds, motivation and talent this is exactly how I would do it. Very well done!!

jaworjawor

thanks for kind word   s8) 8) s8)  at the moment the shortblock is almost ready, next week we're working on oil-pickup and oil pan, then the head: porting and polishing, valve matching, skimming, then assembling everything together

in the meantime some packages arrived
motul fluds

oil cooler setrab + mocal

denso ik20 spark plugs, higly reccommended the add little power

unfortunately sandwich plate won't fit over bare engine block as the thermostat hits the engine. Will have to use standard heat exchanger, I will use 1zz one as it is 1cm lower than 2zz one and it matters because when you add mocal the oil filter is dangerously low

and some older photos of 1zz removal - the engine was sold one month ago and already drives another spyder   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

a little house-keeping appreciated

that's better

jaworjawor

oil cooler mounted on stock tapped body points, piece of cake. I used elastic mounts, then I made an air dam/guide so that all of the air from side vent goes directly to oil cooler

stri oil temp gauge, the sensor I tapped directly to the oil pan

hel braided brake lines

By the way I decided to repaint the bumpers and replace the rear quarter panel as mine had some minor dents

Anonymous

Fantastic, love it. Keep the updates coming!

Jiff Lemon

Amazing work so far! Can't wait for the next installment

4dvti

In for more updates! Your workmanship is inspiring to say the least. Keep it up  s:) :) s:)
190whp/143wtq & 12.7s 1/4 mile- naturally aspirated on r888s.

Micha

Very good point with the oil cooler radiator air guidance. However, you will have some considerable amount of flow going above the cooler (already tested).

May I suggest to add another metal sheet (or whatever) on the top in order to have all the air flow going through the cooler.

Great project !
2001 RHD Silver - Greddy T517Z Turbo - TopSecret Manifold - PTR muffler - PWR CC - Blitz 525cc -  Moroso + Oil Cooler - TRD ShortShifter - Shifter Cable Bushing - JDL Body + TopSecret Fr. Bumper- TRD Strut & Underbrace F/R - Central X bar - ZenkyRacing Coilovers - Rear Arms - Front Anti-roll bar

fatboy

Paying someone to do a 2zz swap.
I know it won't be to this quality!!
Wish I had the knowledge and talent. It looks like a great start.  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

jaworjawor

Thanks! Micha good point and thanks for advice, I have some plastic left, will do the top cover.
Does anybody know if I can fix air dam to tte front bumper? I cant remember now but beleve there were no holes under the bumper. I was thinking of buying the airdam from dealer (meeerrkk posted p/n in other topic).

Ps: I think youre gonna love the pics from head and manifold porting   s8) 8) s8)   cant wait to fire up this beast, hope it's another week or two

Bugster_MR2

Looking good. Looking forward to updates.   s:) :) s:)
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

tommyzoom99

That engine /car is going to be great...nice work going on there   s:D :D s:D  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Leethesparky

Looking good.... so attention to detail going into to that one!!

Nice work
MR2 mk3 2001 -- done some stuff to it.
My car thread---http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53643
My YouTube channel---- https://www.youtube.com/c/spyderlee

shnazzle

sweet! I love a thread like this.
That's a job being properly done. However.... no axle stands?  s:) :) s:)  haha.

subscribed to this impressive build.
...neutiquam erro.

Eastsoutheast

Fantastic attention to detail and can't wait to see the end result, it's going to be a great car when finished.

Kimitech

What the exhaust setup is gonna be like? The silencer, diameter? Nice

JoeCool

I can't look at this. It makes me feel all cheap and guilty doing a 'cheap and cheerful' swap!

It looks phenomenal. That MR2 looks great to begin with, with the right engine it's going to rock!!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

jaworjawor

update

I decided to freshen up the brakes. All calipers were checked, new gaskets mounted where needed, the calipers painted with vht flame proof which turned out to be like powder coating, after baking at 300 degree C the coating is strong and heat proof. New Hel brake lines and new rear discs, the pads and front discs are ok. When they're gone I will think about some brembos or corolla ts front brakes, for now they're ok

Replaced rear left wing, my old one had some dents. The car looks quite perfect underneath

I needed some tow straps because rallysrpints I'm going to attend to require these to have. I removed stock front tow assembly, it is quite heavy at 2 pounds!

Back to oil cooler I mde top cover just as advised

A package from states arrived, mwr alternator wheel. The water pump mwr wheel is useless as it has exactly the same diameter as stock, dont buy it!  s:) :) s:)  and some poly goods from whiteline for front wishbones

Back to the most important, the engine. The head p&p is finished, sorry ant upload the photos how it was made but will upload photos of finished head soon. Right now head is at shop which does the valve job, replaces valve seals and the head will be skimmed 0,5mm for bump in compression ratio to 12.0:1. Tomorrow the head is ready to assembly so be ready for some new photos of engine assembly  s:) :) s:)  

Oh I forgot - I made my own "cosworth" phenolic intakte gasket - I had one in my corolla and it worked wonders, but for me it is a bit too pricy so I made one myself from exactly the same material. And another one for throttle. If there was interest I could sell them as I have much material left and cad file ready to cut them

shnazzle

Such a good job. Very impressed with your engineering skills. You don't cut corners.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: