My Black 2003 Turbo Build - CrazySX

Started by CrazySX, July 23, 2015, 10:59

CrazySX

Hi All,

I can't seem to find a projects section so i am going to start this here.  Mods, please feel free to move it if deemed to be in the wrong place.

OK, so i have a 2003 FL 2, in Black with just gone 100.000 on the clock.  The car pulls very well, and doesn't lose too much oil.

I also have a 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a, this is where the problem begins.  Coming out of the 2 and driving the 200 they are worlds apart in terms of power delivery.  Although i like the 2, and the way it screams its arse off, the 200 just has that low down torque and power delivery is effortless.

The 200 has had an upgraded turbo, upgraded injectors, chip fitted and an electronic boost controller upgrade. To name but a few mods.

The relevance of the above means, i have a T28 turbo, i have an emanage blue, i have a set of 380cc injectors (which before removal made 276.5BHP) I also have an EVC 4 in the Nissan soon to be replaced by a EVC 5, so Guess i have a EVC 4 going spare too!

So with the above in mind all i need is a turbo manifold (already buying one from Matt), an intercooler, oil feed and oil drain, and some pipes for plumbing it all up! Sounds easy doesn't it :p

So a few questions then, intercooler, where to fit it?  I was thinking to have a side mount with ducting from the right hand side vent.

Oil feed and drain, are these pre-drilled or do i need to drill and tap for the feed and then make a return in the sump?

Can i go from the turbo into my TTE exhaust system, or is it too restrictive?

I am only planning to run about 8psi, that should get me 200bhp right?

Also, what clutch is best for the job?

I am not going to do it straight away as i still have some bits to gather, and some jobs taking presidence, such as the subframe replacement and the rear wheel bearing (i think), as well as the drivers side seat belt needing to be replaced (all MOT items).

I would appreciate pics of you turbo installs if you have them! Look forward to your feedback.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Replace subframe - DONE
    Replace front brakes - DONE
    Fit Tein S springs - DONE
    Replace/refurb wheels
    Wheel alignment
    Do something with the front bumper I have not yet picked up  s:o :o s:o  fit splitter and SMD LED fogs (with halo)
    Take out headlights, de-cloud, blacken, fit LED sides and HID mains
    Paint and fit JDL skirts
    Get Dings taken out  (next wknd  s:D :D s:D  ) - DONE
    Fit gear selector bushes (bearing Type) DONE
    Change Oil and Filters DONE
    Smash out CATS DONE the first week i bought the car  s:) :) s:)

I will add stuff to the list as i remember or do it, and mark it off.  Whilst doing all that i will be collecting parts for the turbo build.

So far I have secured a oil drain. And have all the bits as listed at the start.

I need to get a TTE style intercooler. Or I am going to look at fitting a sidemount near one of the side ducts.

Leethesparky

In the reference section there is a pe turbo install guide, I used that to get the measurements for drilling the sump to fit the oil return. I got the oil feed off a filter sandwich plate and it gave me a few spare outlets for oil pressure and temp gauges, which I would recommend fitting as the oil pressure is quite high until it warms up. Don't want to blow your oil seals on the turbo.
I got the stage 2 clutch from whifbitz as it was not a paddle but takes 280lb torque I think. And it was cheaper than most others. More or less feels like a standard clutch in traffic.
I've gone from turbo to cobra and it seems ok, but I think I will build a new system from scratch over winter.
MR2 mk3 2001 -- done some stuff to it.
My car thread---http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53643
My YouTube channel---- https://www.youtube.com/c/spyderlee

Jrichards20

I had the exedy clutch and I thought it was fantastic, no slip at all on 220bhp, but was heavier than standard clutch.

I spoke with Mattperformance regarding Cobra and TTE exhaust on a turbo, and he highly advised against it. I took his advise as he knows far more than me, but up to you ofcause.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Leethesparky

Quote from: "Jrichards20"I had the exedy clutch and I thought it was fantastic, no slip at all on 220bhp, but was heavier than standard clutch.

I spoke with Mattperformance regarding Cobra and TTE exhaust on a turbo, and he highly advised against it. I took his advise as he knows far more than me, but up to you ofcause.

I thought the same to be honest, I'm planning a new one. Fancied a straight through to quad pipes sticking out the grille either side of the numberplate but don't know if it will be too loud.

CrazySX

Quote from: "Leethesparky"In the reference section there is a pe turbo install guide, I used that to get the measurements for drilling the sump to fit the oil return. I got the oil feed off a filter sandwich plate and it gave me a few spare outlets for oil pressure and temp gauges, which I would recommend fitting as the oil pressure is quite high until it warms up. Don't want to blow your oil seals on the turbo.
I got the stage 2 clutch from whifbitz as it was not a paddle but takes 280lb torque I think. And it was cheaper than most others. More or less feels like a standard clutch in traffic.
I've gone from turbo to cobra and it seems ok, but I think I will build a new system from scratch over winter.

Hi Lee, thanks for the info, how much power you running and with what turbo/PSI?

How much was the clutch?

What bore size are the pipes on the Cobra? 2.5 inch?

CrazySX

Quote from: "Jrichards20"I had the exedy clutch and I thought it was fantastic, no slip at all on 220bhp, but was heavier than standard clutch.

I have an Exedy organic in the 200, and you are 100% spot on, it works a dream and feels like a road car would.

Did Matt say what the reason was behind not running a cobra?  is it restrictive?  I mean i am running a 3 inch, turbo back (including elbow) on the 200 and its great!  But i would have thought that with the 2, the exhaust system is not very long, and considering it looks to be about 2.5" only has one can, and you are replacing the precats for a turbo leaving only one cat, you should be fine.  The only restriction i can foresee is that the silencer is quite big, so maybe something in there.

CrazySX

Quote from: "Leethesparky"

I thought the same to be honest, I'm planning a new one. Fancied a straight through to quad pipes sticking out the grille either side of the numberplate but don't know if it will be too loud.

Are you thinking this purely for the purpose of Aesthetics, or is it actually restrictive?

CrazySX

Also, do i need to fit a high pressure fuel pump?  Walbro or like?  At what sort of mileage does the stock one die?

s12vea

The cobra is more restrictive than others, but all depends what your looking for. My tte worked fine at 235bhp but was showing signs of restriction according to the mapper.
You would be fine with cobra or tte up to that power range.
Another one won't hurt  .....

s12vea

With the stuff you already have you should see an easy 200-230bhp

Mine ran 235bhp @ 9.5psi with uprated injectors and standard fuel pump. The 2 takes to running a turbo pretty well, you will need to update the clutch with power over 200bhp / 200 Ib ft - mine is a helix which has a nice pedal feel and can handle more than capable. Some people run the trd clutch also.

Leethesparky

Quote from: "s12vea"The cobra is more restrictive than others, but all depends what your looking for. My tte worked fine at 235bhp but was showing signs of restriction according to the mapper.

Just so I know what I'm looking for. What are signs of restriction?, is it something that can be spotted without being plugged into a rolling road.

Quote from: "CrazySX"Hi Lee, thanks for the info, how much power you running and with what turbo/PSI?

How much was the clutch?

clutch is here
 m http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/ ... -1171.html m

Turbo is TD04, T25 modified with larger compressor wheel ,currently running at 12psi chargecooled, a bit high but it's not blown up yet   s:D :D s:D  
No idea on the power.
I think the cobra is 2.5

CrazySX

Quote from: "s12vea"The cobra is more restrictive than others, but all depends what your looking for. My tte worked fine at 235bhp but was showing signs of restriction according to the mapper.

OMG! 235bhp!!! I am getting well excited! power to the tonne its probably the same if not more than the 200  s:D :D s:D   Does it spin up the tyres with that power?

CrazySX

Quote from: "s12vea"With the stuff you already have you should see an easy 200-230bhp

Mine ran 235bhp @ 9.5psi with uprated injectors and standard fuel pump. The 2 takes to running a turbo pretty well, you will need to update the clutch with power over 200bhp / 200 Ib ft - mine is a helix which has a nice pedal feel and can handle more than capable. Some people run the trd clutch also.

Good to know that i don't need to mess with the pump.  Helix clutch you say, i shall check it out. Thanks Buddy!

CrazySX

Quote from: "Leethesparky"

Just so I know what I'm looking for. What are signs of restriction?, is it something that can be spotted without being plugged into a rolling road.

Quote from: "CrazySX"Hi Lee, thanks for the info, how much power you running and with what turbo/PSI?

How much was the clutch?

clutch is here
 m http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/ ... -1171.html m

Turbo is TD04, T25 modified with larger compressor wheel ,currently running at 12psi chargecooled, a bit high but it's not blown up yet   s:D :D s:D  
No idea on the power.
I think the cobra is 2.5

Nearly £400!!!   I think i will look for a more economical alternative  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

CrazySX

I know i shouldn't be asking, but what sort of MPG are you guys getting?

I get 240 to a full tank as it is, so i wouldn't imagine it would be a lot worse, surely!

On a seperate note, i would imagine you are all running a boost gauge, AFR, and Oil.  Where did you mount them?

tomaky

Centre pods popular, and pillar pods less popular as there quite abit of work. im lucky that nathan has done both, only thing not setup is the afr.
Westfield Seiw
2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Leethesparky

To be honest I get around 240 to the tank, I thought it was using fuel but obviously not   s:D :D s:D  

Boost,afr, oil pres, oil temp.

CrazySX

Quote from: "tomaky"Centre pods popular, and pillar pods less popular as there quite abit of work. I'm lucky that nathan has done both, only thing not setup is the afr.
Where can I get a centre pod (something to add to my list of things to collect over the next few months)

CrazySX

Quote from: "Leethesparky"To be honest I get around 240 to the tank, I thought it was using fuel but obviously not   s:D :D s:D  

Boost,afr, oil pres, oil temp.

OMG so no difference at all then! I need boost asap!!

Mind u... is that driving like a granny or a mix?

Leethesparky

Quote from: "CrazySX"Mind u... is that driving like a granny or a mix?

I would say a mix, it's hard to keep out of boost when it scares my missus,   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

s12vea

If driving "light footed" a turbo can be more economical. On a good run I managed 345 miles out of mine, but on a sprited drive your looking 220

Lee H

Cobra is 2.25" iirc and pretty restrictive. I'm going to be removing my 2 3/8" Blitz Nurspec soon as that's also too small and has a pretty sharp bend in it. 2.5" with less bends would be the preference for me.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

CrazySX

What turbo were you using? Do you have any pictures of your down pipe? Turbo to main cat?
Quote from: "s12vea"If driving "light footed" a turbo can be more economical. On a good run I managed 345 miles out of mine, but on a sprited drive your looking 220

s12vea

That was on my sp turbo kit which ran the t25, I will see if I have any pictures

CrazySX

Has anyone got a pic of their intercooler mounted and the pipe run?

Tags: