My 2000 Blue MR2 1ZZ-FE--->2ZZ-GE--->K20A2 fast road/track build

Started by manos3003, July 27, 2015, 22:08

manos3003

Quote from: "Alex Knight"No need for a rebuild, just refresh it (new seals, lift bolts, aux belt etc) and drop it in!   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

The donor car I'm after has had quite a bit of mileage, I think a good work or rebuild on the engine won't do any harm.
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

manos3003

Had to walk away from the donor car. Nasty knock noise on crank. Could be crank shells or even worse, crankshaft. No worth the gamble, I can wait.

In the meantime:

* Bought some leather off ebay to wrap my rexypow console

* Had a reply from retrofit source. They can provide a full HID kit for $270 with LED halos. Also a nice pair of LED foglamps too. Could be worth the investment, as they are proper projectors.

* Starting to prioritise on other helpful bits I'll need for the swap (6-spd selector shaft, baffled sump etc)

manos3003

Another potential donor car viewed today and closed a deal  s:D :D s:D

Drove fine, no nasty noises coming from the engine or the gearbox. Only a whistle from the exhaust at 4500 rpm (some resonance frequencies) and then goes away. Suspecting a flange, but don't care much, I'm going to use an aftermarket for the swap.

Now, to collect next week and start doing things   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

JoeCool

Cool!

Pull the valve cover, clean the lift oil control valve filters, and check your cams for wear on the lobes. Best to know up front what you're getting into! Also, if you do 2 oil changes in swift sucession (I.e. on the same day) you can make the inside of the engine pretty sparkly clean so long as it's been looked after.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

manos3003

Quote from: "JoeCool"Cool!

Pull the valve cover, clean the lift oil control valve filters, and check your cams for wear on the lobes. Best to know up front what you're getting into! Also, if you do 2 oil changes in swift sucession (I.e. on the same day) you can make the inside of the engine pretty sparkly clean so long as it's been looked after.

Thanks Joe, already on my list  s:) :) s:)

Will also change seals, gaskets, lift bolts and maybe timing kit.

manos3003

Quick update: Picked up the Corolla today, got thrown in for free a spare bumper, front crossmember and an engine cover which is scrap because the threads are stripped and one is snapped off. Dude was actually thinking I'm going to restore it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

There was a rather suspicious "farting noise" on low revs and full throttle input, but doesn't seem critical. Weird part is, it wasn't existent on the previous test-drive, so wonder what changed within 5 days...Anyway, another thing for me to look into, but doesn't worry me too much.

Finally feels like I'm being serious about the 2zz conversion - always wondered why Toyota never produced 2zz MR2's, I think that engine suits the car nicely.

justinread72

Quote from: "manos3003"Quick update: Picked up the Corolla today, got thrown in for free a spare bumper, front crossmember and an engine cover which is scrap because the threads are stripped and one is snapped off. Dude was actually thinking I'm going to restore it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

There was a rather suspicious "farting noise" on low revs and full throttle input, but doesn't seem critical. Weird part is, it wasn't existent on the previous test-drive, so wonder what changed within 5 days...Anyway, another thing for me to look into, but doesn't worry me too much.

Finally feels like I'm being serious about the 2zz conversion - always wondered why Toyota never produced 2zz MR2's, I think that engine suits the car nicely.

can you advise where best to look for a donor and what did you pay ?

manos3003

Quote from: "justinread72"can you advise where best to look for a donor and what did you pay ?

Spread your search as far and wide as you can. Autotrader, gumtree, classified ads, the forums for Corolla and Celica. I was after a car which had a reasonably good engine, regardless of the state of the body trim and electrical health status. I was lucky enough to find a specimen within 30 minutes from where I live for £ 800.

Your criteria may differ from mine, but don't limit yourself to one source of info for your hunt. Happy searching!

manos3003

Righteyyyyy! Parts list for the swap now:

1. PPE Exhaust header (probably will end up ceramic coated)
2. Helix Stage 1 Clutch (thinking Fensport)
3. Reverse Lockout (MWR)
4. 6-speed selector shaft (MWR)
5. Engine mount (that can be provided by Rogue so I'm ok this)
6. Fidanza flyweel [?] (Will decide if I need it, don't know how much of an improvement over cost I'm getting on this)

For now, time to troubleshoot things on my 2zz and get it fighting fit!  s:D :D s:D

StuC

It least with the engine mount you can collect it and save some cash!!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

manos3003

Quote from: "StuC"It least with the engine mount you can collect it and save some cash!!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

My thoughts exactly, seems convenient.  s:D :D s:D

manos3003

Got widermuller's knobs, fitted them. You'll notice some paper stacked inside the slider. A more permanent solution to follow on the weekend.

Photos from the Corolla to be uploaded soon, preferably when taken on a sunny day.

Bernie

You get use a flathead screwdriver to lever apart the Y prong that the slider sits on to get a better fit a bit trial & error
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

manos3003

Quote from: "bernie11a"You get use a flathead screwdriver to lever apart the Y prong that the slider sits on to get a better fit a bit trial & error

Thanks bernie, was thinking more on the lines of silicone or some filler material on the inside (PU?). No need to get the screwdrivers out and go all violent  s:D :D s:D

StuC

Sometimes you just have to go old skool Manos!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

manos3003

Quote from: "StuC"Sometimes you just have to go old skool Manos!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Old skool like "use a lot of effort to do not much usually accompanied by enormous amounts of swearing"?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuC

Got the job done didn't it?  s;-) ;-) s;-)  

Besides,  swearing and car maintenance go together like bread and jam!!

manos3003

Quote from: "StuC"Got the job done didn't it?  s;-) ;-) s;-)  

Besides,  swearing and car maintenance go together like bread and jam!!

Agreed. Still remember the good old days trying to get the Manta's timing right to avoid scrapping the engine! Countless hours of swearing and faffing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuC

Manta, can I get a whooooo?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

My mate had one and it broke down half a mile from his house. He pushed it home, all 2 tonnes of it. It nearly killed him! How I laughed!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

manos3003

Quote from: "StuC"Manta, can I get a whooooo?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

My mate had one and it broke down half a mile from his house. He pushed it home, all 2 tonnes of it. It nearly killed him! How I laughed!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mine nearly killed me when engine blew, so I do feel his pain   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuC

Perhaps its just a manta thing.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Perhaps we should change your name to mantoos3003 going forward.   s;-) ;-) s;-)

manos3003

Quote from: "StuC"Perhaps its just a manta thing.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Perhaps we should change your name to mantoos3003 going forward.   s;-) ;-) s;-)

A bit too late now, I'm still alive  s:D :D s:D

manos3003

Behold, the donor car!  s:D :D s:D

Not a show stopper, but it has the engine I need and is in reasonably good condition for 100k on the clock. Will upload more photos once I find a place to put it and start some spanner work.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

JoeCool

Another red 3 door Corolla bites the dust then!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

manos3003

Quote from: "JoeCool"Another red 3 door Corolla bites the dust then!

Don't think anyone will miss that colour   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Plus, if you think about it, while relieving them from their powertrain we can help keep other ones on the road. All in all for a good cause   s:D :D s:D

Tags: