Covering Arm rests

Started by Anonymous, November 5, 2015, 17:46

Anonymous

Being a fragile little flower and getting on a bit, I found the long continental road trips were getting very uncomfortable when resting my elbow on the hard plastic arm rest, so I decided to do something about it.

Here's what I did................

First of all I went to my local vehicle upholsterer and purchased two off cuts for the princely sum of £2.00

I then marked the outline of the arm rests to the back of the leather

Masking off the inside I sprayed them with contact adhesive (I still had this left over from doing the door cards on LaSlapa 1)

Giving it at least 15 minutes to dry I stuck them together

I cut the edges opposite the ribs and clips starting at least 2 to 3mm from the edge

After trimming the edges approximately 15mm round the edge I sprayed both surfaces with the impact adhesive

Then used a paint brush handle to smooth the edges.

Tucked everything in neatly

Then.................TADAHHH!

ShieldsOnTour

Looks good  s:) :) s:)

I did the same thing with some left over acoustic carpet after I had covered the bin doors.
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

shnazzle

jeffsimply asked:

QuotePardon me, but surely one thin layer of material doesn't do much?

I'd been thinking it would be good to line it with something too. Perhaps not foam as it would flatten with age, but perhaps some sort of padding like mousemat material? Or that stuff you get in wrist rests for the computer.

Les answered:
1/ There's not enough of a gap between the arm rest ant the door panel, it only just went into place with the leather that I used.
2/ Bulking it up with padding and leaving the edge clear to tuck in the gap would (I think) look untidy and out of place.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: