2005 Sable Custom Turbo build

Started by domtheplumb, May 7, 2016, 23:28

domtheplumb

Though I would start a post about my ongoing turbo build .
Bought the car as a summer toy in 2012 and loved it from day one

unfortunately not long after I bought the car it developed a terminal knocking sound from the engine !!
So much for cheap fun run around !!!

domtheplumb

Joined this forum and found a whole wealth of information that has both inspired and assisted my ownership ,ultimately leading me down the more power path !
loved reading about peoples builds and one in particular seemed to stand out in the attention to detail .
That was the 340 bhp widebodied car built by Ikrana .

Although not a fan of bodykits in general I couldn't help but admire the precision and thought process .
however firstly I needed the engine sorting ,After a conversation with Matt I dropped the car off while I went to france on my annual jolly with a lifelong friend .

Few more pix of when I got her originally

Jrichards20

I'm sorry but I will be the first to say

***sable

s:) :) s:)

But the car looks great! Absolutely love the colour!!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

domtheplumb

Spelling is not my strong point lol
my favourite colour  too , the car was a total impulse purchase from ebay I knew very little about MR2 s when I got it but coming from a MGF it was a massive improvement in every sense .
The MGF always seemed like it wanted to kill me ! ,very quick to oversteer ,totally uncomfortable ,loud , lethal in the wet !
RED as I call her handles beautifully is comfortable and never feels at all dangerous .

Jrichards20

I haven't read about many people owning mgfs on here, which surprises me actually. But glad to hear the 2 is much better!

What are the power plans for the turbo then? And are you going to try and do something similar to Ikrana, I know it's a unique taste, but it did look very very good.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

domtheplumb

The latest revision of the turbo kit is nearly finished .
theres quite a lot to the history of RED , started off with simple mods ,markii pipe,k&n filter and tubular manifold with janspeed ctr exhaust
then it just seems to have escalated to a more track based direction !
Will try and post the pix up in a chronological order so people can see how RED has evolved.
Could take some time though , this is the first build thread I have attempted
Hope its not too boring !

s12vea

I'm looking forward to the write up, hopefully with plenty more pics  s;) ;) s;)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

domtheplumb

After a few Performance mods I decided to upgrade the stereo and some of the interior fittings
New wheels too

domtheplumb

Frenzy bar added ,and carbon items

splitter offered up for fitment
I like it !!

Spoiler finishes the look in my opinion

lamcote

Which wheels and tyres are those? Also what size, offset etc. They are very nice, are they heavier than standard?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

domtheplumb

Quote from: "lamcote"Which wheels and tyres are those? Also what size, offset etc. They are very nice, are they heavier than standard?
Wheels came from a member on here , unsure what make etc 17" dia not particularly heavy either
will make a note of offset etc next time I take them off
Dom

lamcote

Thanks, they look like Borbet CW1 but they also seem to be different offsets front to rear and you can't seem to get the Borbets in different offsets in 4x100 pcd fitting
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

s12vea

Love the carbon details
TF204 Blue

shnazzle

Do I see a greddy turbo timer there?
...neutiquam erro.

domtheplumb

Quote from: "shnazzle"Do I see a greddy turbo timer there?

Boost controller ?
Yes you do lol

shnazzle

Oh haha. Looks exactly like a Greddy turbo timer

Edit: looked again. No it doesn't hahaha
...neutiquam erro.

Swan_Connery

love the lip.

domtheplumb

Reading back I seem to have wondered off track a little .
To recap , I dropped the car off at Matts to have the bottom end rebuilt and pistons cleaned etc ,also while he had the car matt fitted a few items I had bought from here mainly
Lowering springs from a group buy
Front strut brace
Braided brake Hoses and uprated fluid
Tubular exhaust Manifold ..............no more pesky pre cats !!
RED was transformed
Handling and braking was massively improved , I loved it   s:D :D s:D  
Was about this time that I started with the Appearance enhancements shown previously

But the tuning bug had bitten and when Ikrana was selling his MWR turbo kit I jumped at the chance for more POWER !!!!!!

domtheplumb

On Receiving the turbo kit from Ikrana I decided to use a local company to fit the kit for me and also do the mapping .
my reasoning was that It would provide a one stop solution without the capacity for fingerpointing if something should go wrong
I would have Loved to fit the kit myself (its a pretty simple fitment) but my business takes up lots of my time and energy these days !
So Red and a large box of Turbo goodies was dropped off at the Tuners and I awaited her return eagerly.  s:D :D s:D  

Almost 3 months later I called to pick up RED ,Double the time quoted ,double the cost !!!

Oil cooler fitment

Turbo

My first Impressions were GOD its fast !!!
However after driving red for a while I found that the mappers capped the revs at just over 5k ,this really affected the way she drove !!
with the turbo I just seemed to run out of revs
MASSIVE disappointment !!

CrazySX

Nice turbo setup and looks nicely done, but 3 months!!!! How much did they they charge to fit it?

Also that is an intercooler right? You're not using a chargecooler

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

domtheplumb

Quote from: "CrazySX"Nice turbo setup and looks nicely done, but 3 months!!!! How much did they they charge to fit it?

Also that is an intercooler right? You're not using a chargecooler

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The MWR kit uses a intercooler It does actually work really well when your on the move
But suffers from heat soak in traffic
Cost wise , quoted £1600 fitted and mapped , bill came to £2800 when I picked RED up
Like I said very disappointing, and a costly lesson
My latest build I have used the skills of professionals when needed  ,but done all the other work myself ,which is why RED has been up on axle stands for over a year lol

domtheplumb

Not long after getting RED back Ikrana contacted me with other things he had for sale
Que big box of pipes !
Full 3"stainless system with sports cat
Took the car down to a local performance exhaust place for fitment and welding in of a new silencer ,After talking to Bret the owner I formulated a plan to run the car as it is for a while then strip down and rebuild changing to a Charge cooler system ,retaining the turbo but little else from the MWR kit
I much prefer a whole stealth look to the car with subtle mods , a Big rear mount intercooler doesn't work with that approach lol !

System fitted

domtheplumb

More contact from Ikrana
More boxes of Car parts ......

The last pic shows why I needed to get shut of the intercooler LOL

domtheplumb

Searching on the Net for inspiration I looked at many different turbo kits and installations to see if I could utilise any of the ideas in my revamp .
An American company kept cropping up DDPR , they do some amazing work and the quality looks outstanding !

This is what I'm aiming for with my build !

s12vea

What sort of power did it make on the dyno.
TF204 Blue

Tags: